Massive layoffs planned in Pharma?

The question is, if there is a big layoff that has been planned for awhile, why would Novartis continue to hire people? That makes no sense. Usually you have a big hiring freeze before massive layoffs. Why pay severance/salaries to extra people. Been here a long time and before every big layoff there was a hiring freeze.

Oh yeh...don't be naive. It may look like it does not make sense, but it's part of their strategy in HQ: keep it quiet, no hiring freeze officially, but a few weeks later, a big announcement comes with hundreds of people out of job. It's written on the wall.

Oh yeh...don't be naive. It may look like it does not make sense, but it's part of their strategy in HQ: keep it quiet, no hiring freeze officially, but a few weeks later, a big announcement comes with hundreds of people out of job. It's written on the wall.
And once they get done with legally justifying your demise (some sort of "redundancy" or position re-engineering in name only), these new folks may be brought in at a cheaper salary/benefit pricing.
Out with the old, in with the "new".
:-((

anyone know of any other departments besides sales that are going to be affected?
Marketing, medical, market access, patient relations, all. It will shake all the company departments everywhere. My friend from Medical told me he's been concerned he'd be out of job and started talking to people he knows at Biogen. He was surprised when his Biogen contact told him that they already knew about NVS getting ready to reduce headcount severely!!

anyone know of any other departments besides sales that are going to be affected?

Marketing, medical, market access, patient relations, all. It will shake all the company departments everywhere. My friend from Medical told me he's been concerned he'd be out of job and started talking to people he knows at Biogen. He was surprised when his Biogen contact told him that they already knew about NVS getting ready to reduce headcount severely!!

What about the GBS business hubs in india?
I did hear that buyers won't want us and we will all be axed upfront even the Dublin site!

This is all about preparing for big merger or acquisition - AZ is mentioned most often. All big players at NVS are gone ( today's announcement about AR leaving Onco!) and replaced with younger 'kids' from smaller companies, who can be 'molded' and easily managed and told what to do. 'Talent hiring' at Novartis has been always corrupted, who knows whom means everything. Qualifications barely matter. If you have good skills and can get out, update your resume and do it now.

They are going to sell off the MSBU
Those new Europeans have re-sparked the whole division and attracted a lot of outside respect
Can bring in Billions (though the Basel talent loss will be a bitterdownside)
Heard it here 1st folks

There's nothing in any of this --- Everyone inside knows that Cardio will be huge post 2017

Entresto will be a mainstay for HF
Serelaxin will be a game-changer
and who knows how the lansdcape will be post-CANTOS

Hold steady folks

There's nothing in any of this --- Everyone inside knows that Cardio will be huge post 2017

Entresto will be a mainstay for HF
Serelaxin will be a game-changer
and who knows how the lansdcape will be post-CANTOS

Hold steady folks
Get real, no one needs this BS about Entresto 'mainstay'. This company won't take care of you. You'd better start working on updating your CV and networking. There will be many Novartian folks out soon, looking for a job.

I work in Pharma and heard since May of layoffs coming, first that it would be in July 2016, then Nov 2016, now early next year...Also heard of Resp. portfolio to be sold, not sure how much is true?