APRIL BLOODBATH TO BE MASSIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!

No, you could be one of the lucky 10% whom lands back in pharma, but if you dont, the chances of landing a better job, or any job paying equivalent is low. First off, very few industries pay as well as the pharma industry, other health field like medical devices etc are very, very, very, averse to hiring sales reps, since pharma "sales" is not really sales. Just do a google search on "pharma reps need not apply"

Of course you should try hard, and turn over every stone, but part of turning over stone is dealing with the real reality that you will likely have to start all over again, in your career. Perhaps get yourself a year or two of real sales experience in copiers, enterprise car rental, AFLAC, life insurance companies, etc. The companies all hiring tons, because the turnover is massive. The turnover is massive because the jobs are grueling. Most drug reps would even have a difficult time working 8 hours in an office; they have been conditioned to working the 6Ts (Tues Thru Thursday Ten To Two).

Well you will likely have to get yourself some experience at these companies, then trade it in after a couple of years. Think about this question, and answer it honestly. What skills do you actually develop as a drug rep? How many ads have you seen, outside of pharma stating "5 years of pharma sales desired?

So yes, some will just move forward; some will luckily find another dying rep job in a few weeks; some will get the hookup in another industry, even medical devices. But the undeniable fact is that there were 100,000 drug rep positions in 2005, and only 70,000 in 2012. Thats 36,000 people with no place to go, and applying for the same jobs that you will be. For every rep that spouts off about how great things are since they have a friend of a friend with ten offers for double the money, there will be ten that would say that they have been unemployed for six months or more, or had to except basically an entry level job at half the pay or less.

So yes you should try hard to be part of the lucky 10%, but mentally you need to be prepared for what the overwhelming majority of you will face, that is thatyour financial life as you know will likely change forever.

What everyone needs to be "mentally prepared for" is that life will go on regardless of what happens in April. In spite of your reality check, the sun will rise and set, pizza will still be good hot or cold, and we will all survive this setback.

Yes, the job market is tough, and pharma rep jobs are declining significantly, but there are tens of millions of people out there who get by just fine who've never heard of a pharma rep. And you can prognosticate all you want, but you have no idea how each individual who's affected will fare.

Lot more than 36,000 pharma jobs lost in 5 years--read
http://www.dailyfinance.com/2011/01...ar-for-pharmaceutical-jobs-will-2011-be-bett/

If you put aside the government and nonprofit organizations, the pharmaceutical sector had the dubious honor of topping all others when it came to U.S. job cuts in 2010. Outplacement company Challenger, Gray & Christmas reports that, of the roughly 530,000 jobs eliminated in this country last year, nearly 54,000 were at pharmaceutical firms. Another 28,000 were announced in the health care/products sector.

That may sound rough, but things were even worse in 2009. Pharmaceutical companies were responsible for about 61,000 of the 1.29 million layoffs announced that year.

Not all pharma layoffs were reps; besides this is from two years ago. I stand by my original post. You are looking at "all pharma" and thinking that means "pharma reps"; it does not. I do agree though that most eliminated were Sales and R&D.

What everyone needs to be "mentally prepared for" is that life will go on regardless of what happens in April. In spite of your reality check, the sun will rise and set, pizza will still be good hot or cold, and we will all survive this setback.

Yes, the job market is tough, and pharma rep jobs are declining significantly, but there are tens of millions of people out there who get by just fine who've never heard of a pharma rep. And you can prognosticate all you want, but you have no idea how each individual who's affected will fare.

Yeah, but we do know that most will have significant declines in income, and will experience long term unemployment. Thats just a fact. LETS KEEP IT REAL PLEASE!

And if your over 50 you'll never find a job in any industry, that's a fact I've even had an old manager say be prepared to never work again, real nice. True though I've been out 15 months.

I am over 50, pharma lifer, and am realizing that I am basically retired...

No one will touch me...

Been out for a year now, and realize I will never work again unless I buy a sandwich shop or start my own biz...

FU PHARMA industry...

I am over 50, pharma lifer, and am realizing that I am basically retired...

No one will touch me...

Been out for a year now, and realize I will never work again unless I buy a sandwich shop or start my own biz...

FU PHARMA industry...

48 years old. Out of work for a couple of years. It's a tough sell. I learned: middle aged white guy need not apply. Today, I work part time for meager wages to have fuel and pocket money. This is not the life I dreamed of in 1991. Laid-off more than employed over the last 5 years.

Do not really care. Still happy, but miss the health insurance and payroll checks. During the boom of the 90s I would sit in huge rooms full a people and noticed few were over 40. A telling sign I should have accepted.

48 years old. Out of work for a couple of years. It's a tough sell. I learned: middle aged white guy need not apply. Today, I work part time for meager wages to have fuel and pocket money. This is not the life I dreamed of in 1991. Laid-off more than employed over the last 5 years.

Do not really care. Still happy, but miss the health insurance and payroll checks. During the boom of the 90s I would sit in huge rooms full a people and noticed few were over 40. A telling sign I should have accepted.

I hear ya brother...i am another middle aged white guy who is screwed because I chose pharma...i accept some of the blame, as the easy money and casual lifestyle seduced me into sloth...

I am still happy too, but it sort of sucks having no health insurance etc...Still, I would not go back to pharma for anything...I really hated that industry and the idiots that run it...

FU PHARMA!

The unemployment rate for those with college degrees is about 4.5%. For those with a masters degrees, just over 3%. True that many are under-employed but there are a lot of things to do outside of health care sales and marketing. Do not make it worse than it is.

I figure the unemployment rate is close to 30% in the US pharma sales sector compared to 8% for the country in general. This is our big problem- simply not enough chairs at the table with thousands wanting a seat! Also, why would a hiring company want to hire someone with a six figure base when they can choose from many candidates at 50-75K base?

I figure the unemployment rate is close to 30% in the US pharma sales sector compared to 8% for the country in general. This is our big problem- simply not enough chairs at the table with thousands wanting a seat! Also, why would a hiring company want to hire someone with a six figure base when they can choose from many candidates at 50-75K base?

Can't agree with you more. You will have better luck getting a construction job.

The unemployment rate for those with college degrees is about 4.5%. For those with a masters degrees, just over 3%. True that many are under-employed but there are a lot of things to do outside of health care sales and marketing. Do not make it worse than it is.

Those degreed folks usually have experience in a field that gives some sort of marketable experience. This is not the case in pharma sales. While a degree is used as a filter, or minimum requirement, people pay you for your experience, your expertise. If you think you will change fields, and make anything even 1/3rd of what you make with bonus, you should ask yourself "WHY?".

The reality is that firms want to hire people who have DIRECT experience in the posted position. The best you could help for is a new start to your career in an entry level position, then move forward in a couple of years.

Think Staples, Enterprise Rental, AFLAC. Think low or no salary, and high turnover. If you have a good severance, you can afford to do this; thats what the severance is meant for.

I think you are wrong to blame Med D, or the Sunshine act. The problem is the loss of blockbusters to generics. When you take the lipid market that was worth roughly 20 billion, and they go generic that is going to hurt. Add to that generic hypertension and PPI meds and the industry has lost a ton of $ that Med D is not to blame

Im reading this blog and cannot believe what is being written. We obviously have many that are just plain uneducated about economics and globalization. This goes beyond the scope of a lack of new blockbuster meds. First, yes the government is to blame for alot of the fuckups that went on in our industry. Its not just pharmaceuticals but many industries that have been driven out because of extremely high corporte taxes. unions, regulations, and EPA issues that are worthless. Our country continues to print money and inflate the dollar until we run out of money. With all the job lose and inflation people tend to cut back and buy less expensive things SUCH AS GENERIC PRODUCTS. Econ 101. Globalization has hurt the US extremely and as more Pharma companies pull out and set up shop overseas we will see less opportunity here. MED D, medicaid, and other government programs have hurt. Don't kid yourself. All entitlement programs such as welfare for pookie has hurt our economy. Why do you think the governemnet has to borrow so much money so Uncle Sam can pay pookie on the street his check so he can go to Micky Ds. This is the real deal so wise up because this goes beyond pharma.

The job market is horrible and most jobs posted on the internet are not new jobs but existing positions that companies have to fill due to someone leaving or being fired. Most of these jobs are internally filled and companies have to post outsde for legal reasons. The under-employed and part-time workforce is what is growng and thats not good. Lets look at GNP. GDP, and economic growth. All have decline or are flat. We do not produce anything and are so dependant on the service industry that produces NOTHING.

The best bet is a total career change into something that is in demand. Nursing, PT, NP, engineering, comp sci, accounting, or actuary science. Yes this requires much more education and smarts but I believe this is the only thing that will most from having a dead end nothing career.

The unemployment rate maybe closer to 40% in the pharma sales sector.

Uh...the real unemployment rate for the US is not 8%. It's more in the range of 22%. You should not follow the numbers from MSM. The correct information about our economy and unemployment numbers can be found on many alternative news sites on the internet, not MSM TV, not MSM news websites. The more accurate unemployment rate for Pharma Sales sector is around 45-50%. Oh yeah, and contract sales force reps will make a base of $50-$55K, not $75K.