• Wed news: Medicare $2 generics. Biogen’s high-dose Spinraza. Roche breast cancer trial. Lilly’s unique AI deal. Sage Alzheimer’s fail. See more on our front page

Layoffs are coming in 2 weeks. Nobody seems to realize?

Pharme can still be a career, just not at one company. Statyng 30+ years and retiring with a pension is over for new hires. Play the game. Build relationships with a core of prescribers in a geography that will always be the core of a territory for any company. Think like a mercenary. Fund your own retirement. Own a decent car. Move from company to company with the market. Don’t wait to get laid off. Move on on your own terms.

Pharme can still be a career, just not at one company. Statyng 30+ years and retiring with a pension is over for new hires. Play the game. Build relationships with a core of prescribers in a geography that will always be the core of a territory for any company. Think like a mercenary. Fund your own retirement. Own a decent car. Move from company to company with the market. Don’t wait to get laid off. Move on on your own terms.

Spot on advice. I would like to add don’t burn bridges with those offices based on a company getting desperate and turning the heat up for business. Always take care of your “business” first. Which is you.

Exactly! Always remember you are selling YOU! Strive to always have a good bag, at least one market leader in your bag. Be honest with your customers. Adhere to compliance guidelines and become an expert in your disease state. That way you stay out of trouble and maintain a good reputation. Then it won’t matter what company you work for. Be professional at all times. Americans like to do business with their friends. Your docs don’t care what your company imperatives are. They want to be able to depend on your expertise.

solid career advice the last few posts. Very rare on cafe pharma.

Getting laid off isn’t so bad. Severance package is decent. Don’t overreact if you get laid off, a position may open up during the WARN period in your current division or another.

This gamesmanship goes back to the Jack Welsh era at GM. Where every year GM would purge the bottom 10%. It's BS in Pharma because of the nature of the numbers and cycle of good years to bad. You just hope...your in a mid to good year when it happens.

Jack Welsh has ruined more careers w/ this type of management tactic. Just look at where the Company is today.

But GE was the darling of WS and Neutron Jack was a king among CEO’s. for many years and the stock made may a lot of money.
It worked, until it didn’t.
Same here. Armies of reps/ share of voice worked until it didn’t.

Ouch...ur post is highly accurate. Only flaw is the assumption that driving for Uber for the next 10 years would suck. Compared to what Ive been doing here for decades...it would be more rewarding and probably almost as lucrative based on my last meeting with my tax man.

Thanks. I’ll have to look into Uber. I know three reps using their company car with Lyft....whose stock dropped like a rock today.

That might work until you get into the 35-40 yr. group.
Sounds like a miserable “career” and life to me.
But, there is very little job security today and you gotta do what you gotta do.

That might work until you get into the 35-40 yr. group.
Sounds like a miserable “career” and life to me.
But, there is very little job security today and you gotta do what you gotta do.
I would advise people who are just starting out with Pharma to run as fast as you can to another career. Layoffs will continue more than any other job! Pharma is filled with so many benefits but so much uncertainty and stress. You can put your heart and sole into your performance and NOBODY cares at the end of the day. You are a certain with HR and nobody can help you.

Been here 28 years and retired at 55. Pfizer is an amazing company. From our acquisition’s I’ve watched many people come and then be let go. We are a machine that eats company’s and spits out thier weak employees. Big blue is awesome and my pension and health care is wonderful.