• Thurs news: AbbVie Parkinson’s drug. Arch raises $3B biotech fund. Biogen dropping failed Sage tremor drug. AZ gets sought-after Tagrisso OK. Pfizer withdrawing sickle cell med. See more on our front page

State of Mid-Atlantic Labs

They know Tox is dead. It’s going to cost the lab just as much to run the specimen and pay reps one day. I think it’s low $30s per drug panel.

Their days are numbered. I don’t know how national tox labs are still in existence.

Maybe a better word for those holding strong would be optimistic, but it’s hard to deny what’s been happening. The existence of national tox labs is there but in time things are going to get worse, seems to be a trend.

Interesting, that goes back to the point about who works for these labs. Shocking? No. Disappointing? To an extent.

You must not know lab industry well. I think every single lab does this. They always hire office staff, docs wives etc to be a collector in exchange for samples. These 4 labs just got caught bc the doctor was greedy. No news hear just another day.

You must not know lab industry well. I think every single lab does this. They always hire office staff, docs wives etc to be a collector in exchange for samples. These 4 labs just got caught bc the doctor was greedy. No news hear just another day.

I’m sure everyone knows that, the previous post is more like a silly satire. We all know what the work place entails, especially the labs out there, but it just leaves that slight sense of disappointment.

“Disappointed, but expected”.

Really, all labs do this? My lab does not do this. We hire all new collectors/phlebotomists in States that allow you to put them in a doctor office. By the way most States do not allow collectors/phlebotomists in their offices and labs put them in there anyway. It is a CMS AKS violation to do this unless the State you are in has been granted an exemption from CMS.

If labs are doing what RDX did they are fools! DOJ, NJ Comptroller and other State's are cracking down. I guess a lab paying back $13+m to Medicare and NJ Medicaid and turning on the people he paid kickbacks to is no news. You must be one of the scumbags that operates their lab in the same way Leykin did/does. I say does because while Leykin is banned from working at any lab in NJ until his criminal case for sabotaging a competitor is resolved and has been banned since his suspension from NJ Medicaid in February of 2023, he currently employed by Xeron labs, runs the day to day in the lab and handles their IT. Xeron should be investigated ASAP!

Really, all labs do this? My lab does not do this. We hire all new collectors/phlebotomists in States that allow you to put them in a doctor office. By the way most States do not allow collectors/phlebotomists in their offices and labs put them in there anyway. It is a CMS AKS violation to do this unless the State you are in has been granted an exemption from CMS.

If labs are doing what RDX did they are fools! DOJ, NJ Comptroller and other State's are cracking down. I guess a lab paying back $13+m to Medicare and NJ Medicaid and turning on the people he paid kickbacks to is no news. You must be one of the scumbags that operates their lab in the same way Leykin did/does. I say does because while Leykin is banned from working at any lab in NJ until his criminal case for sabotaging a competitor is resolved and has been banned since his suspension from NJ Medicaid in February of 2023, he currently employed by Xeron labs, runs the day to day in the lab and handles their IT. Xeron should be investigated ASAP!

Learn youre industry. There are 3 states that don’t allow collectors/phlem. Not most. You should be investigated for not knowing the space

Learn youre industry. There are 3 states that don’t allow collectors/phlem. Not most. You should be investigated for not knowing the space

All States restrict collectors/phlem (sic) to performing collection of samples and transport prep only. Lab personnel are allowed to pull lab reports from their own lab system (not other labs or the office EMR or the mail) and hand them to the office personnel. Lab personnel is not supposed to look inside a patient chart for any reason (including to file results, or look up patient demographic information). The office staff must provide the patient demographic to the lab personnel or they can ask the patient. The lab personnel can look in a doctors EMR for the order only and then transcribe into their system/req. They are not allowed to do anything else in the EMR. Lab personnel are there to collect samples only! Any other duties performed are against the AKS statute and every State law. Also the lab is only allowed to draw/collect there own samples for free. Any sample collected for other labs must have the collection fee charged to the office or patient. By performing any other duties besides what is listed above is a kickback. If the lab hires an office staffer to perform the collections this is a violation as you are helping pay the salary of an office employee. Also, you can't pay the office to collect samples themselves. I think you should be investigated for not knowing the law. 95% of the labs in the "space" are in violation of the law. The law is all that matters! This is the issue with the "space". Too many criminals that violate the law and cause reimbursement reductions!