abbott diabetics

Dexcom is always stating that the G7 is more accurate than the Libre 3. Not true:

Comparison of Point Accuracy Between Two Widely Used Continuous Glucose Monitoring Systems - PubMed (nih.gov)
Save the propaganda pal. All glucose monitors work even the old prick of the finger meters of 20 years ago. Docs know this and are indifferent to however their patients want to test the blood sugars. Bottom line the $8.88 Walmart meter reads glucose as well as the fancy CGMs at 50x’s the cost.

Save the propaganda pal. All glucose monitors work even the old prick of the finger meters of 20 years ago. Docs know this and are indifferent to however their patients want to test the blood sugars. Bottom line the $8.88 Walmart meter reads glucose as well as the fancy CGMs at 50x’s the cost.

A CGM gives hundreds of readings per day. A meter maybe 4 or 5 then your fingers get sore. Also, the data from a meter has less value because you really can't see the trend. So, you are correct in stating that CGMs cost more, but it's obvious that you really don't understand the importance of continuous data. Insurance companies and Medicare/Medicaid know that a CGM monitored patient has much better outcomes than a metered patient. That is why they will help pay for these systems.

A CGM gives hundreds of readings per day. A meter maybe 4 or 5 then your fingers get sore. Also, the data from a meter has less value because you really can't see the trend. So, you are correct in stating that CGMs cost more, but it's obvious that you really don't understand the importance of continuous data. Insurance companies and Medicare/Medicaid know that a CGM monitored patient has much better outcomes than a metered patient. That is why they will help pay for these systems.
Ok classic luxury bells and whistles that are nice to have but not need to have. Just like a luxury Mercedes vehicle that some wealthy individual wants to have but doesn’t a Honda Accord do the trick? You can argue that the Mecerdes has higher end features and benefits but you can’t really say the Honda Accord does not work just fine. Oh and it happens to be 5x’s less expensive. Save the self serving sales propaganda.

Ok classic luxury bells and whistles that are nice to have but not need to have. Just like a luxury Mercedes vehicle that some wealthy individual wants to have but doesn’t a Honda Accord do the trick? You can argue that the Mecerdes has higher end features and benefits but you can’t really say the Honda Accord does not work just fine. Oh and it happens to be 5x’s less expensive. Save the self serving sales propaganda.

We are not talking about cars. We are discussing a person's health and wellbeing. Given that most folks pay maybe $25 a month more for CGM (depending on insurance coverage) and it keeps you out of the hospital for lows (those on insulin) it's a good deal. For those who are type two patients, not on insulin, maybe CGM for a few months to establish treatment then meters there after. The Libre system is about 1/3 the price of the G7. One of the main design constraints for the Libre was cost (Dr. Ben's senor allowed for that) so that the those who needed the technology could get it without breaking the bank.

We are not talking about cars. We are discussing a person's health and wellbeing. Given that most folks pay maybe $25 a month more for CGM (depending on insurance coverage) and it keeps you out of the hospital for lows (those on insulin) it's a good deal. For those who are type two patients, not on insulin, maybe CGM for a few months to establish treatment then meters there after. The Libre system is about 1/3 the price of the G7. One of the main design constraints for the Libre was cost (Dr. Ben's senor allowed for that) so that the those who needed the technology could get it without breaking the bank.

What % of these patients are commercial payers, Medicaid, or Medicare?

My bet is the majority are government health program patients.

What % of these patients are commercial payers, Medicaid, or Medicare?

My bet is the majority are government health program patients.

In Europe and other countries mostly government health programs. I am not certain about the US. For type 1 I would assume commercial because these folks are diagnosed early in life. The type 2 patients are generally later in life so more on Medicare and Medicaid. The individual posting here is making a big deal about "breaking the bank" due to CGM is not running the numbers. Given what uncontrolled diabetes can do to the patien,t the hospital and other costs are much greater than the cost difference between a CGM vs meter. Also, the general wellbeing of the patient is important. As I stated before, use what you need. For many a cheap meter does the job so use it. For other the CGM is the best tool for the patient's health.

In Europe and other countries mostly government health programs. I am not certain about the US. For type 1 I would assume commercial because these folks are diagnosed early in life. The type 2 patients are generally later in life so more on Medicare and Medicaid. The individual posting here is making a big deal about "breaking the bank" due to CGM is not running the numbers. Given what uncontrolled diabetes can do to the patien,t the hospital and other costs are much greater than the cost difference between a CGM vs meter. Also, the general wellbeing of the patient is important. As I stated before, use what you need. For many a cheap meter does the job so use it. For other the CGM is the best tool for the patient's health.
Wow so you even admit you are “assuming” things…… you talk in circles with your posts. You are fools gold pal. Unproven and unfounded personal opinion means nothing.

Wow so you even admit you are “assuming” things…… you talk in circles with your posts. You are fools gold pal. Unproven and unfounded personal opinion means nothing.

I quote the other poster:

"A person who knows not, but knows not that he knows not, is a fool".

I know many who use CGMs and it has changed their lives for the better. So, stick with your damn meters if the cost is so important to you. Or maybe get a better job than McDonalds burger flipper so you can afford better.

I quote the other poster:

"A person who knows not, but knows not that he knows not, is a fool".

I know many who use CGMs and it has changed their lives for the better. So, stick with your damn meters if the cost is so important to you. Or maybe get a better job than McDonalds burger flipper so you can afford better.
Try again under another make believe poster. Self assuming, unfounded and unproven personal opinion will continue to get you laughed at.

I think the car analogy is good comparison on the matter. You don’t need 100k luxury car to get you were you’re going just like a patient does not need an expensive fancy CGM to monitor their diabetes. Luxury items have a place for the wealthy people,of the world but they are not the end all be all for everyone.

What a load of b.s.arguments. It is this simple; If you don't want to prick your finger 4-5x times per day, or you aren't / won't to test with bgm 4-5x per day, the Dr. puts you on a cgm so you know your glucose levels, and can manage things appropriately. For the record, NOBODY that has been on a CGM requests to go back on BGM. So, those arguing for cgm can stfu.
the cost difference is actually minimal if a person is testing with BGM the recommended number of times per day. Go troll somewhere else loser.

What a load of b.s.arguments. It is this simple; If you don't want to prick your finger 4-5x times per day, or you aren't / won't to test with bgm 4-5x per day, the Dr. puts you on a cgm so you know your glucose levels, and can manage things appropriately. For the record, NOBODY that has been on a CGM requests to go back on BGM. So, those arguing for cgm can stfu.
the cost difference is actually minimal if a person is testing with BGM the recommended number of times per day. Go troll somewhere else loser.
My my somebody got their panties in a wad. If you read the posts before cluelessly responding, you’d know the issue was CGMs are not anymore accurate than a Walmart meter.

Correct, a CGM and a meter give the same glucose reading…. No difference there. A techy young professional with good commercial insurance would indeed prefer the bells and whistles of a CGM. However the bells and whistles are not for every diabetic patient. An elderly Medicare patient or lower socioeconomic person who is on a fixed income would likely prefer a simple meter. Both will give a glucose reading equally. Choices are a good thing. Naturally a CGM reps job is to sell the bells and whistles. I am the care taker for my elderly mother who has the disease and only needs a blood sugar reading a few times a day in which a meter is more than good enough. And the meter was per her doctors orders.

Correct, a CGM and a meter give the same glucose reading…. No difference there. A techy young professional with good commercial insurance would indeed prefer the bells and whistles of a CGM. However the bells and whistles are not for every diabetic patient. An elderly Medicare patient or lower socioeconomic person who is on a fixed income would likely prefer a simple meter. Both will give a glucose reading equally. Choices are a good thing. Naturally a CGM reps job is to sell the bells and whistles. I am the care taker for my elderly mother who has the disease and only needs a blood sugar reading a few times a day in which a meter is more than good enough. And the meter was per her doctors orders.

Very true. Buy what you need and buy what you can afford. When the Libre was designed the primary constraint was cost because a meter will always be cheaper than a CGM. If a patient has their diabetes under control and only needs to test a few times a day that is great. The monthly cost of Libre sensor is, worst case, without reimbursement, is about $150/month. Cost of strips (FreeStyle) for a month at three to four tests a day is about $40. So, the cost to the patient to use a CGM is $110 more than strips. However, with reimbursement this drops, on average, to about $35 a month or less. One does not need a high paying tech job to afford a CGM. I have run into patients who will pay the extra per month simply because they don't like finger sticks. Others actually need to test more than three times a day and this can be a real difficult on one's fingers. The benefits of a CGM are the amount of data the systems acquire. A hundred or more samples per day. This gives the clinician a lot of more information about the state of the disease in a patient then taking a few data points per day. The CGM data is also time stamped so the doctor can see sugar level progression throughout the day. With the new systems (Libre 3 and G7) the data is available to the clinician real time because it can be sent through a smart phone daily. Also, a caregiver can access this data remotely to check for highs and lows. And for insulin users the CGM can detect a dangerous low before it becomes a problem.

I repeat, meters will cost less than a CGM. But the delta, overall, is not that much if the patient gets reimbursed. The advantages of a CGM, in most cases, outweigh the extra cost. This is why doctors are prescribing the CGMs for many diabetic patients. Anyway, if all you need or all you can afford is a meter, use a meter.

Very true. Buy what you need and buy what you can afford. When the Libre was designed the primary constraint was cost because a meter will always be cheaper than a CGM. If a patient has their diabetes under control and only needs to test a few times a day that is great. The monthly cost of Libre sensor is, worst case, without reimbursement, is about $150/month. Cost of strips (FreeStyle) for a month at three to four tests a day is about $40. So, the cost to the patient to use a CGM is $110 more than strips. However, with reimbursement this drops, on average, to about $35 a month or less. One does not need a high paying tech job to afford a CGM. I have run into patients who will pay the extra per month simply because they don't like finger sticks. Others actually need to test more than three times a day and this can be a real difficult on one's fingers. The benefits of a CGM are the amount of data the systems acquire. A hundred or more samples per day. This gives the clinician a lot of more information about the state of the disease in a patient then taking a few data points per day. The CGM data is also time stamped so the doctor can see sugar level progression throughout the day. With the new systems (Libre 3 and G7) the data is available to the clinician real time because it can be sent through a smart phone daily. Also, a caregiver can access this data remotely to check for highs and lows. And for insulin users the CGM can detect a dangerous low before it becomes a problem.

I repeat, meters will cost less than a CGM. But the delta, overall, is not that much if the patient gets reimbursed. The advantages of a CGM, in most cases, outweigh the extra cost. This is why doctors are prescribing the CGMs for many diabetic patients. Anyway, if all you need or all you can afford is a meter, use a meter.
Long winded way of saying a glucose reading is a glucose reading. Good sales job selling the bells and whistles of a CGM though. BTW smooth how you disregard alternate site testing and make it sound like meters are still finger sticks. Go sell the doctors cuz many are not preaching what you trying to sell on here. Hahahahaha

Long winded way of saying a glucose reading is a glucose reading. Good sales job selling the bells and whistles of a CGM though. BTW smooth how you disregard alternate site testing and make it sound like meters are still finger sticks. Go sell the doctors cuz many are not preaching what you trying to sell on here. Hahahahaha

I am not a salesperson and I am not trying to sell anybody. As I stated earlier a patient should just use what they need. I am a technologist who spent years developing this stuff, talking to patients, talking to doctors, in general just trying to get it right. Consider though, in the last ten years CGM users have gone from maybe tens of thousands to 6 million (just Abbott and Dexcom). Governments and insurance companies are willing to help pay for this technology for their citizens/customers because it produces better outcomes, thus resulting in lower health costs. Fact is fact.