• We apologize for the intermittent downtime on the site as we work through some technical difficulties.

When is the next restructure?

It’s that time of year when Merck decides to ruin the holidays for so many. They say “ Be Well.” Be Gone is more like it. I look at what is going on and it’s very sad. The analogy I would use to describe the current situation is that of a cruise liner that is sinking out in the middle of the ocean and people are scrambling for a limited number of life rafts. Everyone out for themselves, backstabbing, butt kissing. Sad existence. Those who are displaced, never look back and get out of this industry. It will rob you of your soul.

The Oncology spinoff will be eye opening. New management currently being evaluated and selection process mIn conjunction the field staff also being evaluated nonproductive will be removed

I know layoffs are coming but does anyone else feel as though they’re leadership & HR are trying to manage them out first? Maybe because it’s cheaper to have people quit then lay them off, or it reduces the number of layoffs they have to report? My manager hasn’t put me in a formal performance plan, but it sure as hell feels like I’m being managed out. Any advice out there on how I should handle the situation? If I don’t find another job right away is it better to quit, or hang tough & wait for them to lay me off? Would really appreciate any sound advice.

I know layoffs are coming but does anyone else feel as though they’re leadership & HR are trying to manage them out first? Maybe because it’s cheaper to have people quit then lay them off, or it reduces the number of layoffs they have to report? My manager hasn’t put me in a formal performance plan, but it sure as hell feels like I’m being managed out. Any advice out there on how I should handle the situation? If I don’t find another job right away is it better to quit, or hang tough & wait for them to lay me off? Would really appreciate any sound advice.
Likely too late, perhaps you should have tried doing your job well when you had a chance. Pharma sales has been dying a slow death the last 5 years or so, will only continue. Your only hope of surviving in the field for a while is if you are young, actually do your job and don’t make waves. Slackers and those that have been around long enough to make decent money are done...

Do I say stick it out. I’ve got 25 years in pharma. Had to wait by he phone numerous times. Why quit? Company car, paycheck, medical...a lot to be grateful for right now while you start looking for a new job. Worse case scenario is you are let go (I guess that’s worse case). You would get some severance and then unemployment. If you quit you get nothing. Kind of a no brainer.

You do realize that pharma companies only employ a fraction of the sales rep they use to, and the number will only continue to decline. Merck could “optimize” all you like, doesn’t change the fact that the numbers are quickly shrinking as the business environment is changing. Digital marketing, direct to consumer advertising...welcome to the new work...now stop whining and start trying to build some news skills.
This

Good luck to everyone. I was gone in the last round and landed a much better job at another big pharma company within 5 months. The culture was/is terrible at Merck, especially in primary care. There is significant competition out there for other pharma jobs, especially the good ones. If you can get one, you will realize how poorly you were treated at Merck for so long and will wonder why you stayed. It is very eye opening to see the other side. I do have some good memories while I was there, but couldn't imagine being back at Merck. Start networking and applying for positions now. Don't wait another two weeks. To those who are retained, you know what you are in for...

it’s almost fucking impossible to get outright fired at Merck especially during the time between a layoff notice and the actual notice. It may feel like you are under pressure but trust me HR is way way way too busy and the truth of it is you will probably get the package. There is no increased effort to reduce the number of packages for those laid off ( very risky from a legal standpoint) and you have to have a minimum of 6-9 months of progressive discipline with write ups and documentation up the ass. Then there is a formal PIP which you have 3 months to turn it around blah blah and blah.... too much time and effort much easier to package your ass out and no risk everyone is happy.

Poster is correct, it’s virtually impossible to get fired from Merck. I heard a Rep got fired from Merck after his manager found out he had another Pharma job. That Rep had Balls, working for Merck and a small bio-tech firm at the same time. Supposedly the Rep did both jobs for about a year.

Fear not, the decision has already been made. Your manager is pushing you because managers want their bonuses in case they are let go. Big money, even though its only for 5 months.

anyone know what merck’s severance policy is if you’ve been here less than a year? just got this job 9 months ago and feel like I’m going to be laid off. thank you to anyone who can provide advice.

anyone know what merck’s severance policy is if you’ve been here less than a year? just got this job 9 months ago and feel like I’m going to be laid off. thank you to anyone who can provide advice.
You’ll get 10-12 weeks pay on 1/3. So, basically , most of December + 10-12 weeks depending on your band level. Good luck.

You’ll get 10-12 weeks pay on 1/3. So, basically , most of December + 10-12 weeks depending on your band level. Good luck.

Thank you for this honest answer. I appreciate it & as I live in NJ, I can apply for unemployment as well until I find a new job. Sending best wishes and positive vibes to all those who may be impacted, as well as those retained. This company talks an awful lot about transformation, but has anybody given any thought to giving folks st least a little job security. We have families to care for and the not knowing & lack of security absolutely RUINS the culture of this piece.