• Thurs news: Novartis not joining weight loss race. Pharma marketing and climate change. Roche flu treatment trial. Cercle’s fund raise for women’s health. ICER looks at GSK COPD drugs. See more on our front page

Layoff?

<

Yes, 100% there are going to be cuts. "over the coming weeks and months, we will finalize all the organization changes needed to establish the two operating units". That tell you everything you need know. Key word is "changes"
Future is bright though!

Of course there‘s no “talk” of layoffs. There was no “talk“ of Animal Health becoming independent of Human Health either. It is not smart for any organization to let employees think layoffs are coming. But, at the risk of the inevitable middle school-esque replies that may come, consider the following (which is all available “open source”) :

-Farxiga has a generic available now (and you better believe talks are in the works with Medicare to bring the price down)
-Farxiga beat Jardiance to market by 7 months back in 2014. How long before BI releases its own AG?
-2 other dapa generic manufacturers WILL have a generic on the market by October 2025
-Even though Jardiance has many years left until expiry, that’s no guarantee that reps will promote it up until expiry. Many companies stop active promotion well before the end of a drugs patent life. Just ask an old Januvia rep the last time they promoted Januvia, yet it doesn’t expire until 2026 and made 2.3 billion on 2023 with no share of voice for the year and a half prior.
-Even though Jardiance has Medicare contracts for years, there’s no guarantee language won’t be Included that states patients must “ try and fail” a generic first. it will still be “covered“, but additional hoops may likely be coming for patients to jump through
-A new study less than 2 weeks old states a certain GLP1 demonstrated 38% RRR in HF with preserved EF.That indication will launch 2025.
-The new Medicare Part D changes will have a catastrophic cap of $2,000 and patients will pay $0 toward their drug costs after that. This is a large cost for companies to absorb, so anytime you hear it’s been “factored in” just remember headcount reductions are part of that factor
-The new IRA costs for Farxiga, Jardiance, and others have been set (just not released yet). Although the changes don’t go into effect until 2026, changes to the sales structure will need to happen well before that.

Things are changing quickly. It’s just smart to see what’s happening and objectively come to the conclusion that certain changes to the field force need to happen. Tale-tell signs are overly optimistic assessments of the short-term future, talk of the importance of collaboration, and the need for urgency as there needs to be as many new scripts as possible before restructure occurs. This isn’t to say everyone will be let go. It also isn’t to say that BI reps won’t have a bright future. But for the next 3 years there will definitely be a large change/reduction to the existing sales force. It’s just a matter of when.

It’s very cut and dry for anyone who has a brain.
If the AG gets on several plans in 2025 at a “Generic” tier, the layoffs happen sooner.
If not, there will definitely be layoffs when Farxiga officially goes generic next October.
No bias, just facts

Of course there‘s no “talk” of layoffs. There was no “talk“ of Animal Health becoming independent of Human Health either. It is not smart for any organization to let employees think layoffs are coming. But, at the risk of the inevitable middle school-esque replies that may come, consider the following (which is all available “open source”) :

-Farxiga has a generic available now (and you better believe talks are in the works with Medicare to bring the price down)
-Farxiga beat Jardiance to market by 7 months back in 2014. How long before BI releases its own AG?
-2 other dapa generic manufacturers WILL have a generic on the market by October 2025
-Even though Jardiance has many years left until expiry, that’s no guarantee that reps will promote it up until expiry. Many companies stop active promotion well before the end of a drugs patent life. Just ask an old Januvia rep the last time they promoted Januvia, yet it doesn’t expire until 2026 and made 2.3 billion on 2023 with no share of voice for the year and a half prior.
-Even though Jardiance has Medicare contracts for years, there’s no guarantee language won’t be Included that states patients must “ try and fail” a generic first. it will still be “covered“, but additional hoops may likely be coming for patients to jump through
-A new study less than 2 weeks old states a certain GLP1 demonstrated 38% RRR in HF with preserved EF.That indication will launch 2025.
-The new Medicare Part D changes will have a catastrophic cap of $2,000 and patients will pay $0 toward their drug costs after that. This is a large cost for companies to absorb, so anytime you hear it’s been “factored in” just remember headcount reductions are part of that factor
-The new IRA costs for Farxiga, Jardiance, and others have been set (just not released yet). Although the changes don’t go into effect until 2026, changes to the sales structure will need to happen well before that.

Things are changing quickly. It’s just smart to see what’s happening and objectively come to the conclusion that certain changes to the field force need to happen. Tale-tell signs are overly optimistic assessments of the short-term future, talk of the importance of collaboration, and the need for urgency as there needs to be as many new scripts as possible before restructure occurs. This isn’t to say everyone will be let go. It also isn’t to say that BI reps won’t have a bright future. But for the next 3 years there will definitely be a large change/reduction to the existing sales force. It’s just a matter of when.
It bothers me to think about how much time you spent writing this post. It is apparent that you don’t understand the industry. I hope no one takes your speculations seriously.

It bothers me people like you come up with pathetic replies like this which offer no alternative point of view or even an intelligent counter argument.

It’s obvious to anyone reading what I wrote that I know EXACTLY what I’m talking about. It’s also obvious that you are:

1. Some washed up mid-level manager (who is bitter because you have lost a couple of smart representatives who see the writing on the wall) or

2. A troll who is jealous that he can’t come up with a coherent thought of his own or

3. An incel with nothing better to do

Likely all of the above

It bothers me people like you come up with pathetic replies like this which offer no alternative point of view or even an intelligent counter argument.

It’s obvious to anyone reading what I wrote that I know EXACTLY what I’m talking about. It’s also obvious that you are:

1. Some washed up mid-level manager (who is bitter because you have lost a couple of smart representatives who see the writing on the wall) or

2. A troll who is jealous that he can’t come up with a coherent thought of his own or

3. An incel with nothing better to do

Likely all of the above
Fact!