• Tue news: Starboard wants to hold Pfizer leadership accountable. Moderna norovirus vaccine. Health insurer merger talks. Editas looks for CRISPR partner. Otsuka kidney disease trial. See more on our front page

Do I have enough?

I don't think he is lying. I'm 55-married-no children-we have a $270,000 paid off home-no debt and 3.6 million in savings -including everything. I'm still working and hubby is too-he makes about $100 K. I don't know how much longer we'll work. I'm in the industry still.
You are in the industry's still. No wonder you seem drunk all of the time.

You are in the industry's still. No wonder you seem drunk all of the time.

Yes, I am. And, I'm dead serious about the money we have. We both have been working for 32 years--decent jobs, no children, no 2nd homes, live in Ohio where the cost of living isn't too high, etc. Yes, I'm working. Who knows how long I'll be working as this industry isn't that great.
Why do you say I seem drunk? I have been fairly frugal so that's why I'm worth what i am.

Who is the idiot? You public schooled, mind controlled knucklehead, with no original thought in your mind your entire life. You belong in the corporation til the end, because you have no talent.

Since most of you are too lazy to do a simple search on google to show why home schooling is superior, here it is: http://www.home-school.com/news/homeschool-vs-public-school.php

There are tons of other facts that support it.
The most important fact is what they are teaching in these schools, which is total nonsense. Add to the fact that they push kids into college when they are not even smart enough to go, and would be better suited for a trade. As if college is the end all, be all of life. Morons, all of you. And yes, I went to a very good private school, so don't tell me I don't know what I am talking about. It was pukes like you, that I had to study with that really made me puke the most. So lazy. Drinking beer all weekend. Never study. You are the ones that thrive in the corporate world, because you compensate for your let of work ethic, integrity, and intelligence, with back stabbing and lying. You are the scum of the earth. You truly are. You prove your point with me here too, as you are too lazy to do any research. F off, all of you dummies...

your kids deserve public school madness.

OK, so let me get this straight, in your opinion, everyone and anyone who has gone, to or is sending their children to a public school, anywhere in the US, regardless of socio-economic status, education, race, etc, is a worthless, lying, alcoholic, lowlife loser. Wow. You, my friend, and I'm not lumping you in with everyone who chooses the home-schooling option, just you and anyone who thinks like you, are an extremely angry, self righteous, bigoted (yes, I said it, and befor you start going all political on me, I am a middle aged, white male conservative), elitist punk, who would have thrived in 1930's Germany.

Who is the idiot? You public schooled, mind controlled knucklehead, with no original thought in your mind your entire life. You belong in the corporation til the end, because you have no talent.

Since most of you are too lazy to do a simple search on google to show why home schooling is superior, here it is: http://www.home-school.com/news/homeschool-vs-public-school.php

There are tons of other facts that support it.
The most important fact is what they are teaching in these schools, which is total nonsense. Add to the fact that they push kids into college when they are not even smart enough to go, and would be better suited for a trade. As if college is the end all, be all of life. Morons, all of you. And yes, I went to a very good private school, so don't tell me I don't know what I am talking about. It was pukes like you, that I had to study with that really made me puke the most. So lazy. Drinking beer all weekend. Never study. You are the ones that thrive in the corporate world, because you compensate for your let of work ethic, integrity, and intelligence, with back stabbing and lying. You are the scum of the earth. You truly are. You prove your point with me here too, as you are too lazy to do any research. F off, all of you dummies...

your kids deserve public school madness.

Look, I have nothing against home schooling, but you cite a website that promotes home-schooling as unbiased proof of its' superiority? Sorry, but that site reads like a pharmaceutical detail piece without the requisite "fair balance". To paraphrase an old adage, statistics lie, and liars and/or zealots can easily use them to bolster their own misguided arguments. Feel free to spew back with the name calling and hate-filled venom.

I don't understand why people get jealous over other people's money because one is raised with thrift and understanding the value when others' go through it like there's no tomorrow. Foolish!

Sorry, I don't get it. Do you mean I'm drunk because I'm still working in pharma?

I just want to get a bit more and then I'll leave. What will I do at 55 without a lot of hobbies and no kids? That's the question.

He said, "You are in the industry's still. No wonder you seem drunk all of the time."

A "still" is a piece of equipment used to make moonshine or homemade whiskey or such. Since you are in the industry's still, it is no wonder you seem drunk all the time. Get it?

Had nothing to do with your career choice or how long you work or how much money you have.

He said, "You are in the industry's still. No wonder you seem drunk all of the time."

A "still" is a piece of equipment used to make moonshine or homemade whiskey or such. Since you are in the industry's still, it is no wonder you seem drunk all the time. Get it?

Had nothing to do with your career choice or how long you work or how much money you have.

Oh Thanks. I never heard of that verbiage.

I never heard of that wording either.

OP is in pretty good shape, maybe downsize to paid off home and be totally debt free, pulling 4% out of retirement savings gives you about $50K year income, but then your also looking at paying your own hefty health insurance.. sounds like your keeping sane with outside interests...as for owning your own business..beware there, sounds like a nice idea..make some money, be your boss, have fun..true there BUT take hard look at survival rate of most small business startups (google that stat)...you could blow a lot of money on that..you better have a very sound biz plan (talk to bankers, cpa etc) before you realize that business you started is just an expensive hobby.

Why does O/P need that big of a home for 2 people and a few fur babies? I think that is extravagant.

That sounds great, but if you don't have any kids why wouldn't you move to a more affordable area where your money gets you more. For instance, you could buy a 4bdrm beautiful brick home in a very desirable neighborhood in the south for 300k. If you're so worried about surviving and don't have kids to worry about or support, make some changes. If you're not willing to do that, it's your problem. If you're living in the high rent district, you could sell your house, make a 150-200k for retirement and live in a better home than you would have in New York or SF.

I totally agree with you!

I am 49, and feel the end is here with Pfizer. I have 1.325 million in retirement and owe about 200,000 on a 700,000 home. Otherwise I have no debt. I don't live an extravagant life, and have been a career rep. I have a wife who is stay-at-home, no kids just furry pets. Wondering what the heck I will do when this gig is done. I think in my next life I will just do something I enjoy--maybe owning a small shop or a small business with just one other employee. I am not having too much anxiety, just I want to do something I feel passionate for, just like my first job here 15 years ago. I will also volunteer for underpriveliged folks. Thank you and God bless all you other folks.

Why do you live in a 700K home? Why don't you downsize to a $300 K home? What area do you live in?