• Tue news: Starboard wants to hold Pfizer leadership accountable. Moderna norovirus vaccine. Health insurer merger talks. Editas looks for CRISPR partner. Otsuka kidney disease trial. See more on our front page

Do I have enough?

lol so true. 700k buys a mansion in the South. Not much in Boston, DC, LA, SFO, NYC. Average home in Manhattan now over 900k. So much ignorance.

The above is very true. As far as calling BS on the portfolios of earlier posts that may be so on some. However, if you are 50-60 and your spouse had a similar or better income than yours those numbers are possible. Add in the fact that a few may have inherited some bucks, too. If you did it all on your own, good for you. I amazed how many people my age (60) have little or nothing, but SS to look forward to. Find a good financial planner and get a plan going.

lol so true. 700k buys a mansion in the South. Not much in Boston, DC, LA, SFO, NYC. Average home in Manhattan now over 900k. So much ignorance.
That is what I think when I have to travel to Boston, DC, NYC etc. Why the fuck would anybody want to live in those hell holes. The fact that you pay higher taxes and higher prices for everything from gas to housing just make you more stupid.

That is what I think when I have to travel to Boston, DC, NYC etc. Why the fuck would anybody want to live in those hell holes. The fact that you pay higher taxes and higher prices for everything from gas to housing just make you more stupid.

Right. Why WOULD anyone want to live in 4 of the country's most populous cities, loaded with the top universities, medical centers, cultural centers, and schools in the country? Aint nobody just cain't figure it out, Jethro!

More people than ever in US history just plain want to leave the country. Anerica is no longer all that great. When China calls our debt, we will be worse than India. Any inner city will be a Hellhole. You are gonna wish you lived in the sticks then.

Right. Why WOULD anyone want to live in 4 of the country's most populous cities, loaded with the top universities, medical centers, cultural centers, and schools in the country? Aint nobody just cain't figure it out, Jethro!

Also loaded with constant traffic, pollution, exorbitant taxes, greater drug use, and crime. I'll take the country where most of suburbia and the newest McMansions (at least where I live) are moving anyway.

Also loaded with constant traffic, pollution, exorbitant taxes, greater drug use, and crime. I'll take the country where most of suburbia and the newest McMansions (at least where I live) are moving anyway.

Buzz. WRONG! Here is a cut-n-paste from UNFPA:
The world is undergoing the largest wave of urban growth in history. In 2008, for the first time in history, more than half of the world’s population will be living in towns and cities. By 2030 this number will swell to almost 5 billion, with urban growth concentrated in Africa and Asia. While mega-cities have captured much public attention, most of the new growth will occur in smaller towns and cities, which have fewer resources to respond to the magnitude of the change.

In principle, cities offer a more favourable setting for the resolution of social and environmental problems than rural areas. Cities generate jobs and income. With good governance, they can deliver education, health care and other services more efficiently than less densely settled areas simply because of their advantages of scale and proximity.

The world is undergoing the largest wave of urban growth in history. In 2008, for the first time in history, more than half of the world’s population will be living in towns and cities. By 2030 this number will swell to almost 5 billion, with urban growth concentrated in Africa and Asia. While mega-cities have captured much public attention, most of the new growth will occur in smaller towns and cities, which have fewer resources to respond to the magnitude of the change.

In principle, cities offer a more favourable setting for the resolution of social and environmental problems than rural areas. Cities generate jobs and income. With good governance, they can deliver education, health care and other services more efficiently than less densely settled areas simply because of their advantages of scale and proximity.
Your operative word here is "With good governance." Boston, NYC, L.A., Detroit, Chicago, What do they all have in common? Long standing liberal Democratic machines that over tax, over regulate and generally line their own pockets and the pockets of their politically well connected friends. Obama came from that corrupt and well connected inner city political machine. Need I say more. The population is booming alright with single mothers on government assistance, illegal immigrants working in the underground labor markets, and swindlers and hustlers looking to take advantage of the government corruption.
There is a reason why many corporations are relocating their headquarters to North Carolina, Georgia, Texas, Tenn. Arizona, Florida. And what do these all have in common. Republican dominated conservative governments, lower taxes, better weather, oh and a few pretty fair schools the average person can actually afford to attend.
And we love it when we here those Yankee tourists say, 'I can't believe we have to go home tomorrow."

Yeah, for the moment. They will be war zones filled with death, crime and sickness when the shit hits the fan in the next decade. "With good governance" is the operative term. It ain't happening. In fact, we are so corrupt that I really have zero hope for life in the U.S getting better on any level and I do not care who you put in office unless the Libertarian party takes over. Believe me, if I could get my family to the farthest corner of Canada or NZ, I would.

conservatives=has beens in this country. the young don't adhere to their religious doctrines. The religious right is wrong. Conservatism with money is fine but shove your religion up your ass if it's not private

Your operative word here is "With good governance." Boston, NYC, L.A., Detroit, Chicago, What do they all have in common? Long standing liberal Democratic machines that over tax, over regulate and generally line their own pockets and the pockets of their politically well connected friends. Obama came from that corrupt and well connected inner city political machine. Need I say more. The population is booming alright with single mothers on government assistance, illegal immigrants working in the underground labor markets, and swindlers and hustlers looking to take advantage of the government corruption.
There is a reason why many corporations are relocating their headquarters to North Carolina, Georgia, Texas, Tenn. Arizona, Florida. And what do these all have in common. Republican dominated conservative governments, lower taxes, better weather, oh and a few pretty fair schools the average person can actually afford to attend.
And we love it when we here those Yankee tourists say, 'I can't believe we have to go home tomorrow."

Yeah, you're about to lose your job and you're crowing about corporations relocating. Pfizer wants to relocate its headquarters out of the US so it can pay lower taxes. Good luck finding a job in pharmaceutical sales again. Maybe you can get a job as a Teach for America teacher making $20,000 a year. You can make a difference!

conservatives=has beens in this country. the young don't adhere to their religious doctrines. The religious right is wrong. Conservatism with money is fine but shove your religion up your ass if it's not private

My aren't we pissy today? Maxed out your EBT card too early last month? Not getting enough free stuff? Uncle Obongo will make it better.

Mmm urban growth in Africa and Asia? We ain't exactly talkin' the good ol' U.S. of A. here now are we? Too they're saying most growth in smaller towns and cities. Not exactly LA, Boston, or NYC is it? Your analogy is lacking.

Yeah, for the moment. They will be war zones filled with death, crime and sickness when the shit hits the fan in the next decade. "With good governance" is the operative term. It ain't happening. In fact, we are so corrupt that I really have zero hope for life in the U.S getting better on any level and I do not care who you put in office unless the Libertarian party takes over. Believe me, if I could get my family to the farthest corner of Canada or NZ, I would.

These are not the ravings of a lunatic! I am very "middle of the road" politically and I completely agree with the above comment. Just ASK YOUR DOCTORS how they feel about Obamacare? Do they think it is good for the country as a whole??? I think not! I was just talking to a doctor the other day who shared she is very happy to be retiring soon and "getting out of the mess the government has made of healthcare".

My aren't we pissy today? Maxed out your EBT card too early last month? Not getting enough free stuff? Uncle Obongo will make it better.

Dude, don't blame the poor for being poor. Blame the lack of opportunity in the US. And save for your children because they won't have the same opportunity you do.