• Thurs news: Novartis not joining weight loss race. Pharma marketing and climate change. Roche flu treatment trial. Cercle’s fund raise for women’s health. ICER looks at GSK COPD drugs. See more on our front page

Covid vaccine still needed?

from the CDC about CV19 vaccine safety.
  • Clinical Trials – All vaccines in the United States must go through three phases of clinical trials to ensure they are safe and effective. The phases overlapped to speed up the process, but all phases were completed.
  • Authorization or Approval – Before vaccines are available to people, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) reviews data from clinical trials. FDA has determined COVID-19 vaccines meet FDA’s standards and has granted those vaccines Emergency Use Authorizations (EUAs) or full FDA approval.
  • Tracking Safety Using Vaccine Monitoring Systems – Like every other vaccine approved for use in the United States, COVID-19 vaccines continue to be monitored for safety and effectiveness. Hundreds of millions of people in the United States have safely received COVID-19 vaccines. CDC and FDA continue to provide updated information on the safety of U.S. authorized or approved COVID-19 vaccines using data from several monitoring systems.

I don't know what drug you promote but I'll bet my 401K it doesn't have NEARLY as much data as the Covid shot.

Are you generally opposed to evidenced thinking or only when it conflicts w/ your politics?

Sorry, but my Doctors would dismiss you and anyone else who continues to express doubt and skepticism about the vaccine as a wing nut.

Why are we calling it a vaccine again? What disease does it prevent?

Please...Get off the pharma board. It's totally fine if you are a vaccine skeptic, but you need to find another profession. Is there a Cafė WhatsYourSign?

No one is a skeptic! I’m all for vaccines. Tell me why you are willing to treat this shot differently than the products you represent. Name one pharma product you can sell right now with 2 years of long term safety and efficacy data.

Trying to boil something down as complex as this to "We must save lives!" is so incredibly short-sighted, it's baffling.

No, not baffling. Your parents and grandparents willingness to get small pox and polio vaccines is why those diseases are all but gone these days.

What's baffling is your situational, politically-influenced belief and non-belief in science. Sorry, but we are ultimately doomed b/c of people who think like you.

No, not baffling. Your parents and grandparents willingness to get small pox and polio vaccines is why those diseases are all but gone these days.

What's baffling is your situational, politically-influenced belief and non-belief in science. Sorry, but we are ultimately doomed b/c of people who think like you.
It's so sad that you think we are "Doomed" because people question billion dollar pharmaceutical companies with poor track records. The fact that you can't even grasp the idea of skepticism and only attribute peoples' doubts to politics or non-belief in science speaks more about you than the others here expressing their opinions.

Comparing the smallpox and polio vaccines to the covid19 vaccine is both disingenuous and deceptive, but you already know that.

It's so sad that you think we are "Doomed" because people question billion dollar pharmaceutical companies with poor track records. The fact that you can't even grasp the idea of skepticism and only attribute peoples' doubts to politics or non-belief in science speaks more about you than the others here expressing their opinions.

Comparing the smallpox and polio vaccines to the covid19 vaccine is both disingenuous and deceptive, but you already know that.

EXACTLY ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

EXACTLY

Our parents and grandparents were also willing to use lead piping for water, asbestos for walling, didn't know nicotine was addictive, started the opioid epidemic, etc. Pfizer and J&J hold the #2 and #3 spot for the biggest pharma settlements in history by violating the False Claims Act in 2009 and 2013.

But hey, that's ancient history right? Surely our government and pharmaceutical industries grew a heart and can be trusted now to have a stranglehold on all public release of data and make health decisions for us.

Our parents and grandparents were also willing to use lead piping for water, asbestos for walling, didn't know nicotine was addictive, started the opioid epidemic, etc. Pfizer and J&J hold the #2 and #3 spot for the biggest pharma settlements in history by violating the False Claims Act in 2009 and 2013.

But hey, that's ancient history right? Surely our government and pharmaceutical industries grew a heart and can be trusted now to have a stranglehold on all public release of data and make health decisions for us.

A ridiculous comparison. Citing instances where people were misled by big corporations as your reason for distrusting present day vaccine science again disqualifies you as a Pharma rep.

Tell me, how do you reconcile telling doctors to believe what the FDA says about your medication with also claiming the FDA is part of some deep state conspiracy bent on needlessly vaccinating people.? You can’t. You really need to find a different line of work.

and mentioning the three top Pharma scandals without also mentioning the billions of instances where peoples lives were improved by big Pharma is also indicting. There are two sides to a ledger.

In the last 80 years there have been instances of bad acting automotive companies. Still, cars are safer today than they have ever been. Do you drive a car? Why?

and mentioning the three top Pharma scandals without also mentioning the billions of instances where peoples lives were improved by big Pharma is also indicting. There are two sides to a ledger.

In the last 80 years there have been instances of bad acting automotive companies. Still, cars are safer today than they have ever been. Do you drive a car? Why?

I think the point is that money drives their actions. Usually, those actions result in good, but sometimes they do not. To blindly follow along while these companies are raking in billions and billions of dollars on this vaccine with no responsibility to report real world negative outcomes is foolish.

But, even if they aren’t purposely doing anything wrong, we’ve all seen the effectiveness, or lack thereof, of the vaccine. Hell, our President has taken 4 shots and still caught Covid. Some people look at that and decide not to take the shot. Why does that bother you so much? There are vaccines way more effective than the Covid vaccine that people still choose not to take. It’s their health and their choice to take this vaccine or not. And, it’s safe to say they aren’t hurting you or anyone else - how many people do you know who haven’t been vaccinated nor have caught Covid? My guess is 0. If herd immunity were to be achieved, we’d be there already. This is more about moral posturing than it is about anyone’s health. You can stop now.

this is a legitimate question, I am a great candidate coming from a company that did not require the shot, can anyone explain the policy on the vaccine, is it strictly you must have the shot. also does anyone here have a medical accommodation?

this is a legitimate question, I am a great candidate coming from a company that did not require the shot, can anyone explain the policy on the vaccine, is it strictly you must have the shot. also does anyone here have a medical accommodation?

I certainly wouldn't hire you, or anyone else who hasn't been vaccinated.

Pharma is an evidence-based industry. How can you simultaneously cite FDA validated data when promoting your medication while also believing the FDA is part of some nefarious conspiracy to profit of off harming people? Either you believe in evidence-based medicine or you don't. And if you don't, you don't belong in pharma sales.

And yes, I know, the FDA isn't infallible - they've gotten wrong on occasion. But the evidence is clear - the vaccines saved millions of lives. Again, if you don't believe this, you shouldn't be out talking to doctors.

I certainly wouldn't hire you, or anyone else who hasn't been vaccinated.

Pharma is an evidence-based industry. How can you simultaneously cite FDA validated data when promoting your medication while also believing the FDA is part of some nefarious conspiracy to profit of off harming people? Either you believe in evidence-based medicine or you don't. And if you don't, you don't belong in pharma sales.

And yes, I know, the FDA isn't infallible - they've gotten wrong on occasion. But the evidence is clear - the vaccines saved millions of lives. Again, if you don't believe this, you shouldn't be out talking to doctors.

the evidence is clear? ok

Ok, I'll bite- let's see your evidence if it's so clear.

I’m not going to be pulled into that rabbit hole by you. Just look back up through the thread or research it yourself.

So how will you explain your vaccine skepticism to your doctors? I have nearly 200 doctors in about 60 practices. I have not met a single one who did not get vaccinated, or chose not to vaccinate their kids. The only skepticism any expressed was toward patients asking for their help documenting a medical exemption. Most of the docs were extremely hard-sells on the idea. They felt that for all patients the benefit outweighed the risk. And if a person had a true history of vaccine sensitivity, they should get vaccinated at the hospital where shock or anaphylaxis could be quickly and effectively managed.

There is some range of opinions among my docs about how many boosters are necessary and their timing… But getting vaccinated and then boosted? Nope, no range of opinions there. They all did it and did it for their kids. And urge their patients to do the same.

So tell me, what do you know about the vaccine that these doctors don’t?

I’m not going to be pulled into that rabbit hole by you. Just look back up through the thread or research it yourself.

So how will you explain your vaccine skepticism to your doctors? I have nearly 200 doctors in about 60 practices. I have not met a single one who did not get vaccinated, or chose not to vaccinate their kids. The only skepticism any expressed was toward patients asking for their help documenting a medical exemption. Most of the docs were extremely hard-sells on the idea. They felt that for all patients the benefit outweighed the risk. And if a person had a true history of vaccine sensitivity, they should get vaccinated at the hospital where shock or anaphylaxis could be quickly and effectively managed.

There is some range of opinions among my docs about how many boosters are necessary and their timing… But getting vaccinated and then boosted? Nope, no range of opinions there. They all did it and did it for their kids. And urge their patients to do the same.

So tell me, what do you know about the vaccine that these doctors don’t?

What do I know? That millions of people are vaccinated and still caught Covid. Millions got boosters and still caught COVID. And, I’ve caught COVID - it wasn’t that scary. I’m not worried about it, and I choose not to be vaccinated. I know those things because they are true.

And I also know that people like you like to make healthcare decisions for themselves, and also feel inclined to try and make them for everyone else. I’ll make my own decisions for my own reasons. And, instead of talking to your docs about the COVID vaccine, why not try selling your own products? That’s what I’m doing. I never have a conversation about COVID vaccine skepticism, because I’m busy talking about products in my bag. You should try it some time.

What do I know? That millions of people are vaccinated and still caught Covid. Millions got boosters and still caught COVID. And, I’ve caught COVID - it wasn’t that scary. I’m not worried about it, and I choose not to be vaccinated. I know those things because they are true.

And I also know that people like you like to make healthcare decisions for themselves, and also feel inclined to try and make them for everyone else. I’ll make my own decisions for my own reasons. And, instead of talking to your docs about the COVID vaccine, why not try selling your own products? That’s what I’m doing. I never have a conversation about COVID vaccine skepticism, because I’m busy talking about products in my bag. You should try it some time.

It was never said by experts that the vaccine would totally prevent getting Covid. That is a straw man argument and I suspect you know it.

The experts said it would reduce severity, reduce hospital admissions, reduce chance of being put on ventilator, and reduce deaths. Which it did. Which reduces costs that we all bear and reduces the strain on healthcare resources.

Doctors DO have differing views on social distancing, mask mandates, timing of boosters, etc. But as to whether or not to get vaccinated? There is a little disagreement.

So again, what do you know that doctors don't?