• Thurs news: Novartis not joining weight loss race. Pharma marketing and climate change. Roche flu treatment trial. Cercle’s fund raise for women’s health. ICER looks at GSK COPD drugs. See more on our front page

AZ was always Good to Me.

Hey Old Timers! Get your own site to connect with alumni and talk classic rock! Sick of your AZ was great crapola.

AZ is/was great to people, until the day it’s not. Someone gets a new role and changes things for no other reason than to not continue what their predecessor was doing. Someone starts sleeping with their boss, lands in a role they aren’t qualified for, and decides they need their own supplicants on their team instead of those that were already there doing a good job. ZS needs a cash infusion so they devise another sales/territory structure and sell it to those looking for opportunities to show how smart they are. There are countless examples of how AZ is great for you until the day it’s not.

AZ is/was great to people, until the day it’s not. Someone gets a new role and changes things for no other reason than to not continue what their predecessor was doing. Someone starts sleeping with their boss, lands in a role they aren’t qualified for, and decides they need their own supplicants on their team instead of those that were already there doing a good job. ZS needs a cash infusion so they devise another sales/territory structure and sell it to those looking for opportunities to show how smart they are. There are countless examples of how AZ is great for you until the day it’s not.
Back in our day, pharma reps were respected by doctors and their staffs. We did NOT provide luncheons and actually SOLD! We weren’t caterers or delivery boys, It was hard to get a pharma rep job and many of us spent our entire career with one company! AZ rewarded us with great paychecks and benefits including retirement payments, etc. So I am proud to say AZ was/is great to me

Back in our day, pharma reps were respected by doctors and their staffs. We did NOT provide luncheons and actually SOLD! We weren’t caterers or delivery boys, It was hard to get a pharma rep job and many of us spent our entire career with one company! AZ rewarded us with great paychecks and benefits including retirement payments, etc. So I am proud to say AZ was/is great to me

OK Boomer.

Great post and I also have great memories of our product launches and friendships with peers and doctors! AZ#1

I sold in pharma from 1979-2013. Started with Marion Labs. I great company. They got bought out, then Parke-Davis hired me...that was also very good, as Lipitor was Parke-Davis product and launched in 1997.
I sold great, with little help from Pfizer, co-promote. Then they bought us and I went to work for AZ, also very good and with great people and products.
Many of the lunches I did really helped me...and the many of docs were really friendly. About 30% were a waste. But, i sold a lot, and with selling Lipitor, I was the 3rd territory to hit a 50% market share. But AZ really was nice and had great people.

the-office-door-steve-carell-5zhoewnm7md6m0nu.gif

The pharma rep job has changed dramatically since we were reps. We were in the sweet spot by introducing major new drugs, physician offices were open to us, great managers, great salaries/bonuses, retirement plans, and true loyalty to and from AZ. Today, reps constantly move from one company to another and complain about everything. They only can see a handful of docs and spend the rest of their time pretending to be working. Here's to the good old days of pharma! Enjoying the winter in Florida!

The pharma rep job has changed dramatically since we were reps. We were in the sweet spot by introducing major new drugs, physician offices were open to us, great managers, great salaries/bonuses, retirement plans, and true loyalty to and from AZ. Today, reps constantly move from one company to another and complain about everything. They only can see a handful of docs and spend the rest of their time pretending to be working. Here's to the good old days of pharma! Enjoying the winter in Florida!
lv7mtr3.gif

The price of drugs really went up after Medicare-D came in 2006. When we launched Crestor in 2003, the 10mg cost per month was about $70/month. Not bad. But after awhile they jacked it to the moon. PLus, the other pharm companies did the same. Plus, if your cash paying person and on Eliquis..a blood thinner is over $1,000/month....get real. This why the docs don't want to see us...we screwed the Golden Egg!

The price of drugs really went up after Medicare-D came in 2006. When we launched Crestor in 2003, the 10mg cost per month was about $70/month. Not bad. But after awhile they jacked it to the moon. PLus, the other pharm companies did the same. Plus, if your cash paying person and on Eliquis..a blood thinner is over $1,000/month....get real. This why the docs don't want to see us...we screwed the Golden Egg!
Definitely. It’s not the fact that there are multiples of you bringing nothing of tangible value to their treatment paradigms while interrupting their and their staff’s time.

Started with Stuart Pharmaceuticals in 1981 and launched Tenormin (atenolol). Retired from AZ with over 30+ years. I actually used to call my manager (pre cell phone days) to come for a couple of field days. Never rode with me more than one day, and would actually take the call from start to finish on half the people we say that day. I trained on over 50 drugs between being a hospital, oncology, and primary care rep. Without a doubt, Diprivan (propofol) was the best drug I sold!

Meetings were unbelievably fun! They spent amazing amounts of money on entertainment, resorts, gifts, etc. I still keep up with a few of the senior reps still at AZ. It’s really hard to explain how much fun we had!

All of that’s gone now and will never return. Very sad for you guys, but it’s still a great job with great benefits. Believe me, you could be working in a much worse industry than pharma!

I was hired by Stuart in 1982. It was a great company to work and we actually received respect from management. Imagine that ! The company went to hell when Zeneca merged with Astra. Company cultures were 180 degrees from each other and the company grew WAY too big, reps got treated like dirt and there was no trust between home office and the field.
The job sucked for years Glad I left but many reps (and a lot of DSMs) were wonderful people.

Stuart and Zeneca years were great. Astra influence sucked and pulled the company down.

An old AstraMerck person here. That culture was all BS after the merger with Astra USA. God, those idiots had surprise field rides by managers. You weren't where you were supposed to be and the mgr. decided to attend that appt, you could be fired. A great culture :rolleyes:

An old AstraMerck person here. That culture was all BS after the merger with Astra USA. God, those idiots had surprise field rides by managers. You weren't where you were supposed to be and the mgr. decided to attend that appt, you could be fired. A great culture :rolleyes:
Not my experience at all. We had a fun/highly productive district team and manager. AZ was great for me and my family!