Abbott Hiring Policy - background checks

Discussion in 'Abbott' started by Jane007, Sep 22, 2015 at 3:07 PM.

1. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Why does HR even respond to your untruthful post? Well my manager told me (I'm a new intern) to follow social media and get the 'word on the street' from our employees. Yes HR does monitor pretty much ad hoc as we interns wile away our free time waiting for a new assignment. Its actually quite amusing to read the long threads and make an HR post now and then. We even provide the best posts to our bosses for their input.

2. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Elvis and the Tooth fairy are monitoring and the Easter bunny is board hopping Too ! Yippee

3. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Ah, another angle - intern HR monitors. Sorry, this one is too lame. Next!

4. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I just got an offer for a sales rep position. I won't say where or what division, but it's a great offer, should be into six figures with bonus, which is 30% more than I currently make at Hooters (no, not what you think: I'm an assistant manager, but the girls are great, and easy too!).

I have two felony convictions going back 5 and 6 years respectively, one just after I graduated high school, and the second at the end of my first year at junior college (I cleaned up my act and transferred to a 4 year college). One was a selling stolen goods (a car), the second for selling crack. Guess I'm a born sales person.

So here's my question: no one asked me directly, and I kinda of didn't check those boxes on my application. Do I just wait for HR to catch this, and hope they don't? I was honest with the DM on the second interview, and he was very understanding, even to the point of admitting he was also busted for selling in college.

5. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Don't worry, you won't have a problem. You DM knows and seems to want to help you. HR are a bunch of boobs, and lazy on top of that. If you don't tell the,, they'll never know. Good luck and welcome aboard!

6. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Plus 1, great advice! As a manager who has hired many sales reps at Abbott, I can vouch for HR being lazy. Yes, they will run a full back ground check, and yes, it will reveal arrests and convictions, as long as they occurred in the US. But HR will only skim over the report, and misses things so often that I wonder if they mostly just check that box that the report was done. I have had more than a few occurrences when I found something out about someone I hired long after they were on board that should have disqualified them. Things later turned out to be in their background check report. If your DM knows, and is willing to take a chance on you, that's good enough for me. I believe in the hiring manager's experience and gut feel over any paper pushing idiot in HR.

7. anonymous

anonymous Guest

As a DM I can vouch for this response. As long as you fess up to your DM and he/she is ok then HR will leave you alone, if they even discover your rap sheet - given it is not a class 1 felony (ie murder). I personally have a sales rep who did time in prison for arson and has cleaned up his 'act' and is a great sales rep. I think the 3 year jail time humbled him and he appreciates the opportunity I gave him. One note though: be aware you will be under more scrutiny as a felon and your DM will drop you in a heartbeat if you start trouble.

So you should be fine !

8. anonymous

anonymous Guest

this is my experience also, as I was hired with a bankruptcy on my credit history and expulsion from a graduate degree program for an arrest for petty larceny.

9. anonymous

anonymous Guest

NO STOP THIS NOW !!!!!! ABBOTT WONT TOLERATE FELONS WE HAVE NO HART FOUR LOOSERS.REPORT THIS TO HR IMMEDIATELY OAR ELSE FACE DICIPLINE

10. anonymous

anonymous Guest

you are a troll! HR does not care what your criminal background is AS LONG as your DM is ok with it. Please see the previous posts. Believe me, I a m a former incarcerated criminal for arson who now sells pharma and I am a stellar performer. I know how to push thru a sale !!

11. anonymous

anonymous Guest

You know how to push your man lovers crap in. Go eat a Hemmoroid rump ranger. While you're at get a job. Go gargle with rogaine and chomp on that sausage.

12. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I'm a sales manager who was also convicted of a felony and served time. I was innocent, and was framed: I never did. I never checked the box on my application. Abbott was my first job once I was released so I knew it would show up on my background. But I needed a job and had to take the chance. I did tell my DM when he offered me the job. I was stunned that they did. But my DM said he appreciated my honesty, and said the same thing happened to him. Do be honest is all I can say!

13. anonymous

anonymous Guest

great post. this is a compassionate company and we forgive you

14. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I agree, but at the front line manager level only. HR had zero compassion. I have seen some outstanding employees" get "PIP'ed out", after they have been with abbott for many years, because HR was made aware of something in their past ... which by the way they failed to notice when they did their background check back when the employee was hired. At Abbott, HR is the more like a corrupt Gestapo goon squad.

15. anonymous

anonymous Guest

WE AERNT GESTOPO WE ARE HEAR TO HELP ALL EMPLOYED PEOPLE AT ABBOTT. STOP THIS LOOSE TALK ABOUT OAR COMPANIES AND HAVE SOME COMPASHION AND A KIND HART!

16. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Stop screaming Preston!

17. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Yes, it's very compassionate to target employees in their 50's for "special treatment", like extra special "coaching", micro-management, and PIP's. I've seen, as well all have, employees who won awards and were held up as examples for the rest of us suddenly treated like they can't tie their shoelaces correctly. I'm in my mid 40's, and my eyes are wide open to HR's "compassion", and will leave before my employee number pops up on that list.

18. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I've got to come to HR's defense here: they're not so bad.

A few years ago, about a year after I was hired, I got a call from someone in HR. At first he was a little arrogant, sounding all official, and telling me HR just discovered I had lied on my application by not disclosing a couple of felony convictions for assault and battery, and carrying a hand gun without a license.

He said he had two choices: I resign now, immediately, or he would have to tell my manager, and i would be fired for fraud. I was shocked, and scared, so my first reaction was to deny it. We both got angry, and I hardly remember what happened, except somewhere I said "prove it!", and so he emailed me a copy of my background check as proof. I knew he had me, and was ready to resign, when something struck me: the background check was dated before I was offered the job!

When I asked him how that could be, if this was just discovered. He was silent; when he spoke next, it was him sounding all flustered and disjointed. I sensed the tables had turned! Something sounded fishy, so I said maybe we should talk to my DM. He freaked out, so I said maybe I should come meet him after work to straighten this out, if you know what I mean, and that I had experience in those kinds of conversations.

Now he became scared, knowing my real background as a mob enforcer, so confessed he had missed this when i was hired, and he was afraid he would loose his job. He said is was hell in HR, a sweat shop. I started feeling bad for him, so after a while we struck a deal. He helps me, keeps my HR file clean, and I keep quite about how he F'd up.

I've got my own HR mole\informant!

19. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Nice try Pal, Nice story, but total BS. On application you sign off on background check, Credit Check and drug screen. The Canidates who are desirable have the background and credit run immediaetly then a second interview would take place. The drug test is last and is done AFTER applicant accepts offer. That offer is contingent on passing drug screen. Do you think people are as stupid as you ? Who would buy this horseshit fairy tale ? Sorry NOBODY Keep trying pajama boy.

20. anonymous

anonymous Guest

This idiot tells this fairy tale in another version where they are an arsonist. What a FKn world, full of LONLEY posers and imbecile nitwits

Real HR