Abbott Hiring Policy - background checks

Discussion in 'Abbott' started by Jane007, Sep 22, 2015 at 3:07 PM.

1. Jane007

Jane007 new user

Hi - Does Abbott hire individuals with a misdemeanor on their record? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Yes, if it's older than 7 years.

3. anonymous

anonymous Guest

If you are honest and confess when you interview, you have a chance. Also be 100% honest when completing your job application. But just putting it on your resume is not enough, because it might not be noticed. You have to bring it up in every interview you have. If you do not, and they hire you, then they find out, you will be fired.

What did you do? Tell us and we can tell you if they will mind or not. Why were you caught? Abbott will be more concerned that you were caught vs. what you did. When you confess, tell them what you did wrong, i.e. why you got caught, and what you learned from that, i.e. how you would avoid getting caught again.

4. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Are you nuts?

5. anonymous

anonymous Guest

HR Monitor:: The Company does a complete background check. This includes FBI Form 1011 which is outstanding warrants, felonies, complaints, tax avoidance and evasion, etc. Also any military records, if applicable, and a Big Three credit check. Once you are conditionally hired you must also pass a physical (no big deal) at which Company doctor takes blood, urine, ear wax, and stool samples. These for illegal drugs. The Company is particularly sensitive to drug history, given the nature of the sales job.

Hope this answers your questions.

6. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I'd like to know how long abbott intends to advertise a job before actually hiring. I've seen jobs posted for 7+ weeks...........

7. anonymous

anonymous Guest

what is form 1011?

8. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Seven weeks is nothing. Sometimes jobs are posted for months. Haven't you done your research? Read through the threads here. Or ask any pharma reps you know about working for Abbott. No secret in the industry: in an industry known for micro management and Gestapo culture, Abbott sets the bar.

9. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Don't listen to "HR" boy; he's a proven troll. Abbott does a standard background check and drug test. Same as everybody else.

10. anonymous

anonymous Guest

You are also required to complete a Federal Government W-4 Form.

11. anonymous

anonymous Guest

12. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Thanks for this info. Had a clean record until this year when a verbal argument between a family member who wanted nothing more than to cause trouble called the cops and I ended up having to plea guilty and because I have no background, I got supervision, which means, I was arrested, but not convicted. I also used to work at Abbott a decade ago. Wonder if this will help. Thanks for your feedback.

13. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Rip up your application, don't waste your time. You will never get into sales again, unless you get the arrest record vacated and taken off your rap sheet / file at the FBI. Sorry you got set up and arrested. If I were you though, I might consider seeing a good lawyer and revisiting your options.

Just a thought - maybe you can plead temporary insanity at the time and get a shrink to now declare you fully recovered. This technique has been used successfully many times to vacate an arrest and the statement from the MD gives you a clean bill of health.

14. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Two strikes, either of which disqualify you. First and foremost, former rep for Abbott. Abbott never rehires: once you had left and worked elsewhere, you are tainted merchandise. You might have learned to think for yourselves.

Second, you can't be arrested just for a verbal argument ... And you mean you DID have a "background". You will be viewed as someone who may become insubordinate and may pop your manager.

Why would you want to come back here? You must be desperate.

15. anonymous

anonymous Guest

HR Monitor:: It is untrue to state that we would never bring back an ex employee. In fact we encourage our reps to 'seek out' greener pastures and if they leave they inevitably come back as they realize we have the best opportunities, micromanagement or otherwise !!

16. anonymous

anonymous Guest

then you say not to bother sending application so I will go to other pharma.

17. anonymous

anonymous Guest

SENIOR SUPER HR MONITOR:: It has been established that "HR Monitor" is a troll. Do not feed trolls.

That said, it is ABT standard policy is to encourage many employees "seek greener pastures". If you ever are threatened with a PIP, consider that your first "suggestion"; if you are put on a PIP, take that as a first shove towards the door. The employees we like to "encourage" fall into three basic categories: 1. insubordinate, 2. lazy, or 3. incompetent.

Insubordinate is defined as one who has a habit of asking their manager questions or engages in other subversive activities that can cause peers, or the manager's boss, to question the managers competence. As a general rule, any response to a manager's observations or direction other than enthusiastic agreement (signified by head bobbing in the affirmative) is considered insubordinate behavior.

Lazy is best defined as anyone that does not meet either their manager's, or any company, directive, objective, or goal. That is, by design, a very broad scope, ranging from not meeting sales goals, completing self training modules on time, timeliness of submitting expense reports, trip reports, missing a flight an this being late for a meeting, etc. Their are only two acceptable reasons for any such failure: laziness, or incompetence.

Incompetence is when one fails to meet a directive, objective, or goal, but the reason is not attributable laziness. The unofficial official (meaning unwritten) HR guideline is that the attributable reason shifts from laziness to incompetence after age 47, as a rep approaches age 50. In Management Training we use verbal acronyms, such as giving there employees "respect" for their "experience". i.e. unattainable goals and directions. "Extra love" means frequent and detailed written "helpful suggestions" and follow ups on their "respect" goals, closer monitoring of expense reports, trackers, more frequent ride alongs, etc.

In the event any of these types fails to improve, i.e. leave Abbott, we provide extra help via PIP's.

As for coming back, unofficial HR policy is that any employee leaving Abbott, either with "help" or on their own accord, falls into eone of the three categories above, or falls into a 4th category: mentally incompetent. The only difference is if they left on their own, then ABT simply failed to discover their area of deficiency while they were employed. All are considered "not eligible for rehire".

18. anonymous

anonymous Guest

SENIOR SUPER HR MONITOR:: No, no, PLEASE apply! This helps us hone our skills at screening out these kinds of applications. And we also appreciate a good laugh ... er, a good story, to share at meetings, over lunch, etc.

19. anonymous

anonymous Guest

not a major issue - dont worry about it

just be ready to explain it if it comes up

20. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Not desperate, been living in the Middle East for a while and just got back. Verbal arguments and and insults can be considered battery. Do you think the hire/rehire policy that was stated differs when it comes to non-sales reps? Thanks!