• Thurs news: Novartis not joining weight loss race. Pharma marketing and climate change. Roche flu treatment trial. Cercle’s fund raise for women’s health. ICER looks at GSK COPD drugs. See more on our front page

Worst managers…go!

<

Let’s flip the script on this thread. What makes a manager here a good manager versus a bad manager? I’m always curious to see what other reps think.
- A willingness to let reps run their own business
- Avoiding the desire to micromanage and have reps do endless busy work
- Coaching reps to their strengths and avoiding the desire to make everyone a version of you.
- building a true team spirit (not a forced, fake “culture”) by leading by example and inspiring others to success
- not treating ride alongs like you’re our babysitter. Most of us are highly tenured and respected reps these days. A business review and hitting a couple top customers plus a lunch is all that’s necessary.
- working for your people in the background to help them move forward. Being our advocate.

The overwhelming majority of managers fail on all aspects. Most were promoted to their roles because they were either good reps or because they sucked ass…or both. Being a good sales person does not make you a good leader. Most managers are more concerned about saving their own ass or looking good for their boss than they are about what really matters.

My guess is you’re a manager who gets defensive at the notion that managers can be bad and think the things I listed are either wrong or have little merit.

Im hoping you reflect on it, though.

- A willingness to let reps run their own business
- Avoiding the desire to micromanage and have reps do endless busy work
- Coaching reps to their strengths and avoiding the desire to make everyone a version of you.
- building a true team spirit (not a forced, fake “culture”) by leading by example and inspiring others to success
- not treating ride alongs like you’re our babysitter. Most of us are highly tenured and respected reps these days. A business review and hitting a couple top customers plus a lunch is all that’s necessary.
- working for your people in the background to help them move forward. Being our advocate.

The overwhelming majority of managers fail on all aspects. Most were promoted to their roles because they were either good reps or because they sucked ass…or both. Being a good sales person does not make you a good leader. Most managers are more concerned about saving their own ass or looking good for their boss than they are about what really matters.

My guess is you’re a manager who gets defensive at the notion that managers can be bad and think the things I listed are either wrong or have little merit.

Im hoping you reflect on it, though.

I think that’s a list of things every manager would like to do. However, the majority of sales reps aren’t “tenured professionals.” They are “tenured, entitled crybabies” and end up getting treated as such by their managers. If you want a manager to do their part and treat you like a tenured professional, then do your part, and be one. Great reps are treated exactly as you describe above. But, managers recognize that very few of you are as good as you think you are.

Well, when you were a rep what did you think?
They forget pretty quick.

I’m waiting for them to say “you only don’t want me to micromanage you because you’re lazy” or such. Here we are making a boatload of money to do our job and they can’t trust us more than a late night bartender. If you can’t trust your people, you don’t have the right people.

I think that’s a list of things every manager would like to do. However, the majority of sales reps aren’t “tenured professionals.” They are “tenured, entitled crybabies” and end up getting treated as such by their managers. If you want a manager to do their part and treat you like a tenured professional, then do your part, and be one. Great reps are treated exactly as you describe above. But, managers recognize that very few of you are as good as you think you are.

Incredibly predictable. And you’re wrong, most managers are power drunk control freaks. As it happens, I have a good manager who treats their whole team like adults.

Incredibly predictable. And you’re wrong, most managers are power drunk control freaks. As it happens, I have a good manager who treats their whole team like adults.

You’re confusing liking your manager with him being a good manager. Whether you like him or hot has nothing to do with whether or not he is good or bad at his job. But, maybe he’s fortunate and has the only team in the country where everyone is a “tenured professional.”

And, most manages aren’t power drunk control freaks - you have to have power and control to be drunk with it. We have neither. Most managers are pretty good people who became managers because they like helping people get better….only to find out that most of you have no desire to get better. Only a desire to do the same thing, but get paid more and more money to do it.

Let’s flip the script on this thread. What makes a manager here a good manager versus a bad manager? I’m always curious to see what other reps think.

A bad manager will say a rep needs to “manage up.” A good manager will treat each rep as the individual they are and lead to their strengths.

You’re confusing liking your manager with him being a good manager. Whether you like him or hot has nothing to do with whether or not he is good or bad at his job. But, maybe he’s fortunate and has the only team in the country where everyone is a “tenured professional.”

And, most manages aren’t power drunk control freaks - you have to have power and control to be drunk with it. We have neither. Most managers are pretty good people who became managers because they like helping people get better….only to find out that most of you have no desire to get better. Only a desire to do the same thing, but get paid more and more money to do it.
Again, very predictable. Only a poor craftsman blames their tools. If you can’t get your people to be better, maybe you’re the problem.

I have a pretty good manager but in the last few years I’ve noticed a distinct shift in managers trying to save their own job with a shift in their management philosophy style and their MO. Sadly you can’t have the threat of layoffs in the air and have effective and qualified management happening at the same time. Somewhere along the journey a worried manager is going to look at the weakest territory and instead of coaching up they will coach out. All in the sake of buying time and saving their ass. I’ve seen it multiple times over the past 15 years but it’s even more prevalent lately. And when I say weakest link I’m talking about the team out of the 4 they lead, who has the lowest numbers of the 4 teams. Regardless of the situation or the territory or the access or the MH or patient demographics. As we all know each team is NOT comparable in any of those areas.