• Fri news: Gilead withdraws bladder cancer drug. Amgen and Intercept PDUFA date pushback. CVS replaces CEO. Supernus depression trial. AbbVie Parkinson’s approval. See more on our front page

Will Brilinta Be Approved Next Week or Not?

Who's living in Utopia, anyway? A big part of the WHY patients are on Rx drugs is that THEY'RE PRACTICALLY FREE. If the patients had to actually PAY FOR medicines, a lot less of them would be used. Of course.

Patients often do pay for their branded medications and in many cases their MCO will tier what they can utilize. Take a statin for example. It will often be a generic first, if the generic fails, a brand, and even more likely, a specific brand. The company that gets that spot has carved out some savings. Sure the patient can opt for brand X first, but most won't want to foot the added bill. If this was not the case we wouldn't have offered so many vouchers. Regarding statins, a lot less used could mean more heart attacks. I say this taking a statin myself. Why screw with fate.

Well your point is weak. Plenty of people hurt themselves with guns, that doesn't show the manufacturers are negligent. Same if you buy a car and drive it off a cliff. That's your point? Or are you going to hedge now and say you didn't mean cars. How about bathtubs, if peope drown? Or housing companies, if you fall off a roof?

You can't be serious in your last post, unless you're drunk. Those damn alcohol companies!

Well your point is weak. Plenty of people hurt themselves with guns, that doesn't show the manufacturers are negligent. Same if you buy a car and drive it off a cliff. That's your point? Or are you going to hedge now and say you didn't mean cars. How about bathtubs, if peope drown? Or housing companies, if you fall off a roof?

You can't be serious in your last post, unless you're drunk. Those damn alcohol companies!

Exactly, that's the point. Plenty of people hurt themselves with guns or drive cars off cliffs "if they don't know how to use them." (back to the original point -> Just like they can hurt themselves with different drugs if they don't understand a particular products drug-to-drug interactions, or how to properly use it. And that is why prescribers shouldn't write for classes of drugs as opposed to specific ones.

A bathtub doesn't hurt your liver. Well, unless you slip and fall on it maybe. Tylenol and alcohol might hurt your liver though. This is fun, let's do this some more :)

Exactly, that's the point. Plenty of people hurt themselves with guns or drive cars off cliffs "if they don't know how to use them." (back to the original point -> Just like they can hurt themselves with different drugs if they don't understand a particular products drug-to-drug interactions, or how to properly use it. And that is why prescribers shouldn't write for classes of drugs as opposed to specific ones.

A bathtub doesn't hurt your liver. Well, unless you slip and fall on it maybe. Tylenol and alcohol might hurt your liver though. This is fun, let's do this some more :)

OK so by your "logic" the government should have licensed professionals approve the purchase of guns, cars, bathtubs, or houses. Should people be able to buy guns, cars, bathtubs, or houses if the professional thinks they shouldn't? Where does it stop -- you can hurt yourself with any kind of power tool, anything really that is motorized, has wheels -- you should be able to get the point. Should the government regulate access to any products that may injure a user?

Or should able people take care of themselves and if they make a stupid mistake live with the consequences...

That's just one more reason why we don't need doctors specifying brand names of medicines when they could Rx a class and let the patient decide which one to buy with his own money.

Likewise.

However I am able to present my ideas, you have none. All you've got is a bash of the poster. You remind me of the Iraqi Information Minister during the Operation Desert Storm. A lot of trash talk, but nothing to back it up.

I remember that. Saying the land was theirs and a tank in the back ground with the US flag on it.

On the other hand, I don;'t think every stupid Idea needs to be debated. If your friend jumped off a bridge etc. He may not have the solution you embrace, and he may not be interested in posting a marxist theory either. That doesn't make your solutions less stupid.

I guess you come from the school that says all ideas are positive.

I know this idea threatens the people who've replied, but very few of you have any real reason not to proceed with it. I've presented fundamental reasons -- namely free market capitalism and cost reductions -- to proceed. So the debate here is over. I am penning a letter to several government officials proposing this solution. I suppose I might as well fly a kite, but I will also post the idea on other blogs and tell everyone I know, in order to spread what I see as a solution to the problem of drug prices and corruption by the leadership of the pharmaceutical industry.

I know this idea threatens the people who've replied, but very few of you have any real reason not to proceed with it. I've presented fundamental reasons -- namely free market capitalism and cost reductions -- to proceed. So the debate here is over. I am penning a letter to several government officials proposing this solution. I suppose I might as well fly a kite, but I will also post the idea on other blogs and tell everyone I know, in order to spread what I see as a solution to the problem of drug prices and corruption by the leadership of the pharmaceutical industry.

Do what you want to do. A number of replies have been made to counter your points, you simply choose to ignore them and stick to your thinking.

Finally, free market capitalism is already happening. Drug patents are running out. Less expensive generic options continue to grow. New FDA approvals are very difficult. Available brands continue to shrink. Patients and plans are already paying less for medications. The industry is saddled with MCO and Federal Account marketing agreements. State and Medicare drug options continue carve out. If you are watching the news, Pharma is continually cutting back on R&D, operational expenses, and selling assets to survive. The industry cannot continue to do business the same way and has to evolve. In other words, it's already hurtin.

Are there some fat cats and corruption? Sure. But if you were in the industry you would see just how much new regulation has, and continues, to occur. Finally, to understand drug differences you first have to understand the molecule, pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics, drug metabolism, drug interactions, etc. In other words, to carte blanche give patients blanket choices is irresponsible. Drugs ARE that different. Are some drugs interchangeable? Absolutely. The FDA and Physicians can make that determination. In fact, you may want to first try approaching the FDA with your class utilization thoughts. They, not Pharma, would be the first to review it. Good luck.

If I travel at the speed of light with my headlights on will I see anything?

According to the theory of relativity I would think so. The light would be traveling as fast from its relative point of emission. Moving an object of mass at the speed of light is a whole nother subject.

Come to think of it, if Brilinta has already missed two requests for approval, will it move forward in July?

If I travel at the speed of light with my headlights on will I see anything?

You would observe the speed of light as C, you dipshit. Are you one of those science experts who keep telling me I don't know anything about science?

You must be one of the dimwits claiming things like:

"A number of replies have been made to counter your points, you simply choose to ignore them and stick to your thinking. "

And then don't tell me what you're writing about.

Nobody out there save one post that barely qualifies has the depth of a shallow pool. You'll get what you have coming, one way or another. I will send my letters and continue to strive for free market capitalism in pharma.

It's the only thing that lasts. Corrupt companies and industries come and go, but true value is found in honest leaderships that make contributions to society. The people that try to take more than they give always end up in the gutter where they belong.

You would observe the speed of light as C, you dipshit. Are you one of those science experts who keep telling me I don't know anything about science?

"A number of replies have been made to counter your points, you simply choose to ignore them and stick to your thinking. "

Nobody out there save one post that barely qualifies has the depth of a shallow pool. You'll get what you have coming, one way or another. I will send my letters and continue to strive for free market capitalism in pharma.

It's the only thing that lasts. Corrupt companies and industries come and go, but true value is found in honest leaderships that make contributions to society. The people that try to take more than they give always end up in the gutter where they belong.

At lunchtime, I went to a massage parlor. Found out it was self service.

The speed of light is "denoted" by c, or a physical constant in a vacuum traveling at 186,282 miles per second.

This is just an observation, but based on your responses -

You only read or hear and keep what you want. The other points you disregard if they don't support your thinking. Opinions are okay, so long as they agree with your view of the world. A sign of narcissism. You demonstrate this when you note the one poster (who barely qualifies) that makes some points that support your values. This person must have a glimmer of common sense (you so much as said so), which in turn supports your need for agreement, although in truth you have only agreed with yourself. All other arguments to you are unworthy.

Blame is another hallmark of the narcissist and that is shown when you describe corrupt companies and people.

You show your insecurities through your bad temper and frustration (name calling) with others when they don't agree with your views. Because you are argumentative, manipulative, and have difficulty understanding those who do not share your view of the world, there is likely turbulence with those close to you.

The speed of light is "denoted" by c, or a physical constant in a vacuum traveling at 186,282 miles per second.

You only read or hear and keep what you want. The other points you disregard if they don't support your thinking. Opinions are okay, so long as they agree with your view of the world. A sign of narcissism. You demonstrate this when you note the one poster (who barely qualifies) that makes some points that support your values. This person must have a glimmer of common sense (you so much as said so), which in turn supports your need for agreement, although in truth you have only agreed with yourself. All other arguments to you are unworthy.

Blame is another hallmark of the narcissist and that is shown when you describe corrupt companies and people.

You show your insecurities through your bad temper and frustration (name calling) with others when they don't agree with your views. Because you are argumentative, manipulative, and have difficulty understanding those who do not share your view of the world, there is likely turbulence with those close to you.

You're focused on me, right? How about the topic we're talking about. You've had every opportunity to explain why I'm wrong, but you don't. Because I'm right. If you have a point to make (no one really has) in disagreement, post it. Why hasn't anyone done so?

All you have left is to claim I'm crazy -- you don't like the message so the messenger is to blame. That's pathetic. As pathetic as the work you do every day.

I want pharmaceuticals in the USA to be sold in a free market. Currently, they're not. I think there'd possibly be some innovation to follow if the free market were able to exert its influence on the industry. I think it would make the rep job interesting again, too.

Narcissists don't blame other people. Everything is always all about them; other people aren't worth the attention.