Time to Pop the Hood of Derm Managers

anonymous

Sure, Sotyktu has faced lots of hurdles in its launch, including poor access.

But let’s keep it real, BMS has wasted a lot of money on paying middle management folks who do little work, mostly narcissists who talk a good game but add no value. Also as others have commented, the Novartis mafia is behind a lot of it. But that doesn’t tell the whole story. A couple of Novartis folks actually do work and some of the lazy ones aren’t from Novartis. So it would not be fair to taint the good ones with a broad brush.

If you are familiar with most of the managers as I am, you’ll know some do actually help BMS and are actually worth keeping around.

To name names

Sean Stalker
Jimmy Cahill
Jamie Scatena
Michael Mendez
Cat Brewer
Dru Wilson
Dean Egler

Support their people. Motivate them. Provide coaching. Have their backs.

I won’t name the worst out of the remaining ones, for only one reason: I am not familiar enough with three of them and don’t want to disparage them.

The rest do no work other than smoke and mirrors for show.

We all know a cost cutting restructuring is in the near future. Given the challenges BMS faces, trying to grow the drug while cutting costs, I think it would be wise for leadership to look at these middle managers and rmks and dals before looking at removing the newly hired reps.

I am not making excuses for the reps, but the reps are the ones in the field actually out selling the drug. So it has never made any sense to me when we cut to radically reduce the number of reps.

We could cut half the middle managers here and not have a single drop in sales!

<

But let’s keep it real, BMS has wasted a lot of money on paying middle management folks who do little work, mostly narcissists who talk a good game but add no value. Also as others have commented, the Novartis mafia is behind a lot of it. But that doesn’t tell the whole story. A couple of Novartis folks actually do work and some of the lazy ones aren’t from Novartis. So it would not be fair to taint the good ones with a broad brush.

If you are familiar with most of the managers as I am, you’ll know some do actually help BMS and are actually worth keeping around.

To name names

Sean Stalker
Jimmy Cahill
Jamie Scatena
Michael Mendez
Cat Brewer
Dru Wilson
Dean Egler

I won’t name the worst out of the remaining ones, for only one reason: I am not familiar enough with three of them and don’t want to disparage them.

We all know a cost cutting restructuring is in the near future. Given the challenges BMS faces, trying to grow the drug while cutting costs, I think it would be wise for leadership to look at these middle managers and rmks and dals before looking at removing the newly hired reps.

I am not making excuses for the reps, but the reps are the ones in the field actually out selling the drug. So it has never made any sense to me when we cut to radically reduce the number of reps.

My manager made the list. He is a leader and actually steps up to help.

My manager made the list. He is a leader and actually steps up to help.

Well look at you. Some of us know exactly why our managers didn’t make the cut. Backstabbing, lying, and lazy. But when the pressure is on all of a sudden they start working. Any manager that completed less than four reviews on each rep in a single year need to be fired immediately. At this point the only reason some have started working is because someone is watching.

Why are you so afraid to name names of the worst. It’s simply your own opinion. And I’ve heard some shitty things about one of your best of the best managers. Again what makes you the be all end all on saying who is good and who is not?

Why are you so afraid to name names of the worst. It’s simply your own opinion. And I’ve heard some shitty things about one of your best of the best managers. Again what makes you the be all end all on saying who is good and who is not?
Alright, so you're the end all, be all, go ahead and name names. or are you one of the managers who didn't make the list of the good ones. Time to pop your hood.

I’m not a manager who didn’t make your list just curious why you wouldn’t name the others. It’s not hard to figure out. Sounds to me like you’re one of the managers on the best list and those others are your friends. You keep patting yourself on the back buddy. Also anyone from Novartis sucks balls. So let me start your crap manager list Peter J, Jenn B, Cory H, Erin M, Andy R- yes he is a Marnie disciple. And Marnie. Thank you Marnie for building such a strong leadership team.

So did these mangers make the list because they let you do what you do? What if you are a mediocre performer?

Not at all. As mentioned in the original quote they support their reps. They don’t allow their matrix partners to do nothing. One of them held their teams iARM accountable. Another one fought for credit for one of their reps when they were not receiving credit. They don’t appear to play favorites. At this point a mediocre performer with this drug is actually a great rep because this drug isn’t exactly the blockbuster they thought it was.

Leadership set the culture and our leaders have no experience in derm. I'm talking senior leadership that actually gets things done. Not the top, executives. They don't deal with day to day. I'm not talking reps. It's the VPs and Directors that set the culture and we failed.

We have perhaps the greatest flop in Pharma history on our hands. Superior molecule. Superior efficacy. Superior safety. Superior tolerability. Superior dosing. Superior resources.

yet what do we have?

We have almost no sales. We have to prop up the last 2 earnings reports with "clinical buys". We have to lie about 40%.

This is a Harvard Business Review Case FLOP.

Own it!

Leadership set the culture and our leaders have no experience in derm. I'm talking senior leadership that actually gets things done. Not the top, executives. They don't deal with day to day. I'm not talking reps. It's the VPs and Directors that set the culture and we failed.

We have perhaps the greatest flop in Pharma history on our hands. Superior molecule. Superior efficacy. Superior safety. Superior tolerability. Superior dosing. Superior resources.

yet what do we have?

We have almost no sales. We have to prop up the last 2 earnings reports with "clinical buys". We have to lie about 40%.

This is a Harvard Business Review Case FLOP.

Own it!

Part of the problem here is that you have a clinically superior drug handled by many people not comfortable selling on science. Just the simple truth

I’m not a manager who didn’t make your list just curious why you wouldn’t name the others. It’s not hard to figure out. Sounds to me like you’re one of the managers on the best list and those others are your friends. You keep patting yourself on the back buddy. Also anyone from Novartis sucks balls. So let me start your crap manager list Peter J, Jenn B, Cory H, Erin M, Andy R- yes he is a Marnie disciple. And Marnie. Thank you Marnie for building such a strong leadership team.

Looks like we have a pretty accurate list going with the best managers and the worst except you left off one of the most sucky Novartis clowns who is confident not competent, tries to be the center of attention at manager meetings. I know for a fact he did zero work at Novartis and he and the others thought this was going to be easy at bms. You need to replace Jenn B. with this person on the bad list.

Part of the problem here is that you have a clinically superior drug handled by many people not comfortable selling on science. Just the simple truth

that right there is the problem - dork nerds who think dermatology products are sold on the science - do you think Celgene sold a placebo up to $2.5Billion a year on science? They sold it on relationships - they had the preferred rep in 99% of offices because they understood what derms want. Do you think a derm that sees 65 patients a day is down for a "science sell" in the 20 seconds we get between patients?

Amgen destroyed the Celgene culture but that doesn't mean we can't still right this ship:

Step one: give me my zips and me alone - no overlays.
step two: stop all the HO micro managing - let me go make calls
step three: admit programs only drive prescribing with speakers.
step four: keep the DAL and RMK re-active and out of my offices unless I need them
step five: make all web calls voluntary

But stop with the "selling on science" - that's a mirage and only exists for dork nerds who have never been in sales.

that right there is the problem - dork nerds who think dermatology products are sold on the science - do you think Celgene sold a placebo up to $2.5Billion a year on science? They sold it on relationships - they had the preferred rep in 99% of offices because they understood what derms want. Do you think a derm that sees 65 patients a day is down for a "science sell" in the 20 seconds we get between patients?

Amgen destroyed the Celgene culture but that doesn't mean we can't still right this ship:

step four: keep the DAL and RMK re-active and out of my offices unless I need them

But stop with the "selling on science" - that's a mirage and only exists for dork nerds who have never been in sales.

All of this but get rid of DALs and RMKs. My RMK is a ghost but will show up at meets boasting about everything he has done. My DAL has zero relationships and is a waste of time. The overlays are riding on our coattails. Cut the fat. Stop the stupid programs and let us sell. We did well out of the gate and were poised to overtake Otezla. Now we have Takeda nipping at our heels. LET US SELL. We need to state that on our next survey.

Whoever you are, you are the oracle of modern day Pharma sales. Never seen a more perfect, spot on post. Bravo!

To name names

Sean Stalker
Jimmy Cahill
Jamie Scatena
Michael Mendez
Cat Brewer
Dru Wilson
Dean Egler

Looks like we have a pretty accurate list going with the best managers and the worst except you left off one of the most sucky Novartis clowns who is confident not competent, tries to be the center of attention at manager meetings. I know for a fact he did zero work at Novartis and he and the others thought this was going to be easy at bms. You need to replace Jenn B. with this person on the bad list.

leadership will not touch on these bad managers

So who is the other Novartis person you are suggesting? And believe me Jenn B deserves every bit to be on this list. She is your prototype Main Line Philly girl. She needs to stay on the list. Unless you have worked for her than you shouldn’t comment. Been there and done that rodeo with her so I can comment