• Thurs news: Novo Nordisk’s port strike distribution plan. Arcus/AZ renal cancer trial. Lilly weight loss drugs no longer in shortage. Difficulties of a CVS breakup. Google and Biontech AI lab assistants. See more on our front page

Three day field rides

No one is suggesting that Reps don't need to be managed or held accountable. Of course they do - like any other Sales position.

The issue is the practice of actually accompanying the rep into an office does more to harm access than it doesn't to help performance. The ritual is completely out of step with the times - patients don't like it, office staff don't like it and prescribers don't like it.

I asked a Doc, who didn't allow managers, "Why not put a sign on your door saying 'No Pharma Mgrs' like some offices?" And she said, "Because I'd rather not call attention to the fact that I even allow reps in. Patients are quite suspicious of Pharma reps. More than ever, you guys need to be totally discreet because patients are suspicious of why you are here"

Even without going into the office with the rep there's still other ways to gauge rep preparedness. They can ride (or follow) the rep throughout the day to observe routing and pre-call planning, then discussing what happened during the call There's Role Playing product and Commercial Access quizzes, sharing best-practices on team calls, Sales & Ranking reports.. Etc..

Sure, seeing a rep doing their thing up close in an actual office might be the very best way to raise a reps performance but the practice is accelerating the extinction of Reps and DSMs alike.
another rep so mature, smell the grape you tool

Well, mission accomplished OP.

If I were looking for a job with this company and stumbled across this thread, I'd immediately withdraw my application.

1. There's no justifiable reason for 3 day field rides.

2. Leadership is about more than management. It is most certainly not about hopping on Cafepharma to hurl childish insults at reps. Whoever you DM's are, you're doing more harm than good to your company.

3. No other kind of sales company has field rides of the magnitude that Big Pharma seems to enjoy- and they do just fine. Device might ride with you once a year (if ever), Paychex maybe one time a quarter, etc. Hit the numbers and no one cares; Pharma companies and DM's could learn a lesson here.

4.; Role-playing is DUMB. It never goes that way in an office, so let's all stop wasting time with pretend conversations and the circle-jerks. The WORST managers are the ones that insist on this behavior. Similarly, making up success stories, which everyone knows are fake, and having long conversations about them are a waste of time.

5. I love the manager tossing around the word "accountability." Here's the deal: reps that have bad numbers and work know that they are in a lousy spot. They want to make it better. Heck, they get paid more for making it better. It's a far better use of time to help them rather than badger them. A badgering manager does not do any good and the non-stop accountability message falls flat on the sidewalk.

Great managers believe in the servitude model. Idiotic managers believe in micromanaging people to death.

I left the business a while ago and don't miss a second of the nonsense. There are other jobs out there where the managers don't behave like this and you're judged on your numbers, not how many cookies you delivered or fake stories you conjured up.

Well said in the above post.

To add: Sales reps make more when they sell more; that's how every IC plan works. So if Field Rides helped reps sell more and make more they would embrace them - but they don't because they don't. On the contrary, when a manager enters an office with a Rep the chances of a prescriber agreeing to an interaction goes way down (program speakers and wanna-be program speakers notwithstanding). That is a fact. And yet every manage acknowledges that a rep needs to get in front of a prescriber to have impact. So stop doing the very thing that makes interactions less likely.

Re: role-playing. It CAN work, but only if the manager and rep keep the dialogue real-world rather than the manager sticking to some ridiculous "Responding to Customer Objections" script that comes from HQ.

Well said in the above post.

To add: Sales reps make more when they sell more; that's how every IC plan works. So if Field Rides helped reps sell more and make more they would embrace them - but they don't because they don't. On the contrary, when a manager enters an office with a Rep the chances of a prescriber agreeing to an interaction goes way down (program speakers and wanna-be program speakers notwithstanding). That is a fact. And yet every manage acknowledges that a rep needs to get in front of a prescriber to have impact. So stop doing the very thing that makes interactions less likely.

Re: role-playing. It CAN work, but only if the manager and rep keep the dialogue real-world rather than the manager sticking to some ridiculous "Responding to Customer Objections" script that comes from HQ.
Ha, you two are real pips ya know that, Hey I'll be doing my 4 days in the field with robin bellies like your selves and you better be prepared!

Ha, you two are real pips ya know that, Hey I'll be doing my 4 days in the field with robin bellies like your selves and you better be prepared!

Here’s an idea, place me on a PIP so I can sue the company. I can cash out and never have to work for you ( or any company) ever again. Let’s make it 5 days so you can slip up.

If I were looking for a job with this company and stumbled across this thread, I'd immediately withdraw my application.

2. Leadership is about more than management. It is most certainly not about hopping on Cafepharma to hurl childish insults at reps. Whoever you DM's are, you're doing more harm than good to your company.

3. No other kind of sales company has field rides of the magnitude that Big Pharma seems to enjoy- and they do just fine. Device might ride with you once a year (if ever), Paychex maybe one time a quarter, etc. Hit the numbers and no one cares; Pharma companies and DM's could learn a lesson here.

4.; Role-playing is DUMB. It never goes that way in an office, so let's all stop wasting time with pretend conversations and the circle-jerks. The WORST managers are the ones that insist on this behavior. Similarly, making up success stories, which everyone knows are fake, and having long conversations about them are a waste of time.

5. I love the manager tossing around the word "accountability." Here's the deal: reps that have bad numbers and work know that they are in a lousy spot. They want to make it better. Heck, they get paid more for making it better. It's a far better use of time to help them rather than badger them. A badgering manager does not do any good and the non-stop accountability message falls flat on the sidewalk.

Great managers believe in the servitude model. Idiotic managers believe in micromanaging people to death.

I left the business a while ago and don't miss a second of the nonsense. There are other jobs out there where the managers don't behave like this and you're judged on your numbers, not how many cookies you delivered or fake stories you conjured up.

Probably the best post I have ever read on CP in over 10 years. Congratulations on getting out, working on doing the same.

District managers will never agree that field rides should end. If field rides ended managers could manage twice the number of reps, so companies could do w/ half as many managers. Hence, no manager will ever agree they should end. So no one is speaking truth to region directors and national sales managers.

District managers will never agree that field rides should end. If field rides ended managers could manage twice the number of reps, so companies could do w/ half as many managers. Hence, no manager will ever agree they should end. So no one is speaking truth to region directors and national sales managers.
Managers get bored with these.... I'm just doing as told...

Whatever Bryan T. you insecure douche, I hate being under your micro-management.
Bryan T is a horrible manager, and an even worse human being.
No wonder Tyke is looking to replace him as soon as he can.
Spend his days having lunches with old reps, while he brags about how terrible he treats his current reps.
Lies out his ass, when he doesn't know the answer to something.
He is as fake and worthless as they come.

Bryan T is a horrible manager, and an even worse human being.
No wonder Tyke is looking to replace him as soon as he can.
Spend his days having lunches with old reps, while he brags about how terrible he treats his current reps.
Lies out his ass, when he doesn't know the answer to something.
He is as fake and worthless as they come.

THIS!!! Perfect example of the Peter Principle. Backstabbing narcissistic tool!

What do you do with your DM if 90% of your offices are closed to reps?

Drive through a construction site or drain 95% of your oil the night before your ride along. Then only drive on the highways with your manager the next day at 20mph over the speed limit. It’ll be an experience your DM will never forget.

You must have worked for/with my last manager Rob B. in the heartland. Guy couldn’t relate to his reps much less a doc. King of micromanagement.