• Tue news: 23andMe CEO no longer open to takeover. mRNA vaccines may boost cancer immunotherapy. BMS beats $6.4B lawsuit. CVS Health layoffs and potential breakup. JNJ abandoning proposed 340b plan. See more on our front page

So this is what I am doing post merck

I've come to the conclusion that the only Merck reps who stay are either in a good or tolerable position with their management at the moment or they have been dumbed down by Merck to the point of having no confidence left in themselves to do anything other than put up with Merck's abusive management while hoping to save their ass and remain employed.

I left Merck and now living frugally on the dividends from the pension and 401K only. I am doing a lot of volunteering work, especially with the elderly at my church. No profit but a lot of satisfaction.

I left Merck and now living frugally on the dividends from the pension and 401K only. I am doing a lot of volunteering work, especially with the elderly at my church. No profit but a lot of satisfaction.

God bless

I now have the time and go to church daily. I will pray for you as you are obviously a great person, thanks my friend.

So I am thinking of quitting as well. Honestly would rather live in a trailer than be treated like a piece of crap. Love that you found such an awesome job for good coin. Never would have thought so out of the box but you have opened my eyes and inspired me !!!!!

So to your question, it WAS AWESOME! He's an older guy and I really don't think anyone had been so direct with him before. After treating us like crap for months this was the first day he was actually polite, I think he was actually so shocked I had the b.... to just quit that he was speechless. He turned ivory white.

Then his concern turned to who have you talked to at merck? He then said do you realize how bad the job market is? Thats when I marched out and left as I had a friend come get me.

I can't even tell you how I feel- wonderful, merck treated me (and my customers) so poorly for so long I just had to leave.

SEE--- you be honest with someone (because no one ever is) and its not as scary as you think - everyone here bitches about their boss, their co-workers - everyone at merck behind their back but NO ONE will look someone in the eye and be honest with them - and when you do - what happens??? I know this guy was quitting, but the fact is that his manager was shocked then polite. I think more of you should try this - just the being honest part - unless you are lucky enough to have another gig lined up - once managers start hearing honest feedback, I think they really will change (most of them - some of them are downright dorks as we all know, but some will change, I know from experience) but more people need to do it to change things. bitching here is not going to do squat. you have more power than you know people!

I've come to the conclusion that the only Merck reps who stay are either in a good or tolerable position with their management at the moment or they have been dumbed down by Merck to the point of having no confidence left in themselves to do anything other than put up with Merck's abusive management while hoping to save their ass and remain employed.

Many of us have tons of self confidence and the tenacity to stick it out.
Those of us invested in this company for 20+ years have much more to lose financially. It's worth the monthly 2-day in a row field visits, being told you can't detail, etc.
I consider it like being on a huge game show, waiting to get "voted out" and receiving a year's worth of severance, plus my full retirement. If I make it and survive, I'm a millionaire. Self made at that and I put my blood, sweat, and tears into this company. I honestly believe that I have made a difference over the years with the products I have had the pleasure of educating my customers about. I have heard the life altering stories of success that make me continue going forward. From the patient with heart failure who could breathe easier to the HIV patient who would have died but now can hold a job and live for years to life and limbs spared due to awesome antibiotics only Merck could produce. That's what it's about Charlie Brown. Not the BS from unqualified DCO's and Managers. They are only a couple days a month. It's an Amazing Race and I'm in it till the end.

nah don't believe the previous post for a minute. Merck management no matter what level DON'T GIVE A RATS BEHIND WHAT YOU HAVE TO SAY OR IDEAS YOU MAY HAVE.

THEY ARE BOBBIN' HEAD DOLLS AND THEY TELL YOU TO BE HONEST AND OPEN AND THAT THEY CARE WHAT YOU FEEL OR WHAT YOU THINK

then they walk out the door, not look back, and say "what a dumb as*, he/she is"

THEY DON'T CARE

PTSD is a very common diagnosis for older pharma reps that have been pushed out of pharma companies...You think I am kidding?? Just talk to any psychologist who has patients that are present or former pharma reps...It makes sense because you are literally at war to keep your pharma job these days, and the abuse and harrassment that the managers heap upon thier reps is that traumatic...

So glad you got out!! I am glad I finally did too...What a toxic mess that industry is...And yes, Merck counts on their reps being to afraid to leave, and thinking there is no other way to get through life without being a Merck Rep....

I am making about 1/5th of my former income...But I don't have to lie everyday, and put on a dog and pony show on those ridiculous "field visits."

FU MERCK!

Not to mention those of us on SSRIs just to get though it, I even have a script for "anti-anxiety" for field visits. A hell of a way to live

To the above....I have never seen a rep wearing an $800 suit...man or woman. Actually
have never seen a manager wearing one either....If anything, most people seem to have
duds in the modest price range...for the most part conservative..Guess you could call it middle of the road, typical mall level quality attire.....

Noticed lately though certain team mates seems to be newly fashion conscious and very into checking out our fashion choices....I'm wondering...is being a member of the "
fashion police" a new "special assignment?" Sort of thinking if our daily dress is being given a grade toward our year end review...Hmmm...

It seems to me that unless someone comes to work in way-wacky get ups its sure seems silly to give a hoot about what style, color or choice of clothing the other guy chooses to wear....Of course, no flip flops or cleavage for the girls or hipsters and elevator "heels" for the guys but if you're neat, clean and have a style similar to other reps you should be
A-OK....$800 suits, never be needed....and can't afford it anyway.

I had a female manage that had a collection of St. Johns--the jackets ran $800 last time I looked and No I will never spend that much on a suit especially to work in.

SEE--- you be honest with someone (because no one ever is) and its not as scary as you think - everyone here bitches about their boss, their co-workers - everyone at merck behind their back but NO ONE will look someone in the eye and be honest with them - and when you do - what happens??? I know this guy was quitting, but the fact is that his manager was shocked then polite. I think more of you should try this - just the being honest part - unless you are lucky enough to have another gig lined up - once managers start hearing honest feedback, I think they really will change (most of them - some of them are downright dorks as we all know, but some will change, I know from experience) but more people need to do it to change things. bitching here is not going to do squat. you have more power than you know people!

THIS IS HORRIBLE ADVICE!! For anyone still buying into the lie that your current job with Mother Merck matters and will last, being honest will not be smart. You play the game, and it will only last as long as you're off your manager's hit list or Mother doesn't downsize you out of a job.

I make less than I did back then, and sometimes I smile at the fun times, the trips, the perks. But then I quickly remember that naucious feeling of sacrificing my self respect, and I have to take a shower. It's just a lie that there's no life outside of Merck or pharma. Believe it if you never knew it or have forgotten it, but it is quite normal in other industries to work in a supportive atmosphere where you aren't always looking over your shoulder or feeling like a shill.

Kudos to all my fellow X's.

You, my friend, are completely clueless. The honest reps have all long since been removed---some maliciously---and now kno ey would have been better off being a phony, just like e rest of you. As one who had "courage and candor", I can tell you it will land you on the hit list very quickly. Give these subhuman jerks the phoniness they want and wait for your pink slip to arrive. At least then you will have bled them for every penny possible.

THIS IS HORRIBLE ADVICE!! For anyone still buying into the lie that your current job with Mother Merck matters and will last, being honest will not be smart. You play the game, and it will only last as long as you're off your manager's hit list or Mother doesn't downsize you out of a job.

I make less than I did back then, and sometimes I smile at the fun times, the trips, the perks. But then I quickly remember that naucious feeling of sacrificing my self respect, and I have to take a shower. It's just a lie that there's no life outside of Merck or pharma. Believe it if you never knew it or have forgotten it, but it is quite normal in other industries to work in a supportive atmosphere where you aren't always looking over your shoulder or feeling like a shill.

Kudos to all my fellow X's.

So true, I had forgotten how nice it is to work in a craing, supportive place! Honestly didn't realize how abusive Merck is until I left.

Not to mention those of us on SSRIs just to get though it, I even have a script for "anti-anxiety" for field visits. A hell of a way to live

Before I retired and got rid of all these meds, I used to have anti-diarrhea med in my bag because by noon I will be running to the bathroom during a field visit. Pepcid was my second best friend because upset stomach and acid reflux seemed to happen also only during field visits.

Many of us have tons of self confidence and the tenacity to stick it out.
Those of us invested in this company for 20+ years have much more to lose financially. It's worth the monthly 2-day in a row field visits, being told you can't detail, etc.
I consider it like being on a huge game show, waiting to get "voted out" and receiving a year's worth of severance, plus my full retirement. If I make it and survive, I'm a millionaire. Self made at that and I put my blood, sweat, and tears into this company. I honestly believe that I have made a difference over the years with the products I have had the pleasure of educating my customers about. I have heard the life altering stories of success that make me continue going forward. From the patient with heart failure who could breathe easier to the HIV patient who would have died but now can hold a job and live for years to life and limbs spared due to awesome antibiotics only Merck could produce. That's what it's about Charlie Brown. Not the BS from unqualified DCO's and Managers. They are only a couple days a month. It's an Amazing Race and I'm in it till the end.

I hope one day you will be able to join us as a Merck retiree. I was voted out a few years ago and took a lump sum. I believe we have helped many patients and built great relationships and friendships. When I ran into my former customers we interact as friends, not as rep and doc. If I feel like it I will stop at one of their offices for a cup of coffee and B.S. and get some freebies from them. :) My former manager has been re-assigned over and over a few times already. My former DCO, who pioneered the concept in using PIP to retire people, has been voted out to the pasture by the HQ. Life is interesting. Karma.

Before I retired and got rid of all these meds, I used to have anti-diarrhea med in my bag because by noon I will be running to the bathroom during a field visit. Pepcid was my second best friend because upset stomach and acid reflux seemed to happen also only during field visits.

drugs, PTSD, et al WOW give me break, you have got to be kidding me!! you're equating our job with the stress of war. TRAUMA...PLEASE. A crisis !?! We don't know what a crisis is today. Just another microcosm of what is wrong with society today. All you whiners should never have been hired. If it's so bad...leave. Grow up. So sick of reading this drivel and whining. See you next year, now I know why I only come here once a year.

I took it all too- Haven't had a XANAX since my last field visit in 2009! A person can only take so much mental anguish! Life is toooooo short!