• Tue news: 23andMe CEO no longer open to takeover. mRNA vaccines may boost cancer immunotherapy. BMS beats $6.4B lawsuit. CVS Health layoffs and potential breakup. JNJ abandoning proposed 340b plan. See more on our front page

How is Medtronic's culture now? Has it improved?

Unless you have an HR card to play. Then the manager will be presumed to be wrong, discriminatory, racist, sexist, domineering, and oppressive. And it will go on his/her record. Get HR on your side and you're golden. Try whining about the manager and see how receptive HR will be (no matter whether your whining is "justified" or "valid" or has any basis in reality/facts).

"Watch out someday for an irresponsible manager who sees your good-natured and responsible behavior and...." sees you as a threat, since you're more competant than they are. Their primary mission is to protect their own little spot, and they'll do anything to eliminate what they perceive as a threat. It's not about what's best for the company. It's all about protecting their comfy little high-paying spot.

"Watch out someday for an irresponsible manager who sees your good-natured and responsible behavior and...." sees you as a threat, since you're more competant than they are. Their primary mission is to protect their own little spot, and they'll do anything to eliminate what they perceive as a threat. It's not about what's best for the company. It's all about protecting their comfy little high-paying spot.

Definitely worked for KK

Not sure about their "culture," but they sure have a hard time running a railroad.

Around Christmas, I got a phone interview for a diabetes rep job. Okay, did alright on the interview, but a couple weeks later, I get an e-mail that sorry, thanks for applying, though.

Okay, stuff like that happens.

About a month ago, I get an urgent call to get in touch with a California contact about working for Medtronics, and the training class starts March 12th. Hurry up, resubmit all your paperwork via fax and online, and all of a sudden the following Wednesday, I'm asked to show up for an interview. Good interview, met two managers and spent some time with one of the sales reps.

Since then, I get one e-mail asking for confirmation on some dates on my resume (seems one of my former employers is reporting incorrect dates of employment), but outside of that, three weeks of nothing.

Sent several people e-mails asking for further news, but silencio.

Wonder if that training class really did start on March 12th?

But I keep getting emails from Medtronics, and the same jobs are still on the website.

Okay, I know ... I'm probably not going to work for Medtronic and I guess asking people for simple courtesy in saying yes or no is passe now-a-days.

Not sure about their "culture," but they sure have a hard time running a railroad.

Around Christmas, I got a phone interview for a diabetes rep job. Okay, did alright on the interview, but a couple weeks later, I get an e-mail that sorry, thanks for applying, though.

About a month ago, I get an urgent call to get in touch with a California contact about working for Medtronics, and the training class starts March 12th. Hurry up, resubmit all your paperwork via fax and online, and all of a sudden the following Wednesday, I'm asked to show up for an interview. Good interview, met two managers and spent some time with one of the sales reps.

Since then, I get one e-mail asking for confirmation on some dates on my resume (seems one of my former employers is reporting incorrect dates of employment), but outside of that, three weeks of nothing.

But I keep getting emails from Medtronics, and the same jobs are still on the website.

Okay, I know ... I'm probably not going to work for Medtronic and I guess asking people for simple courtesy in saying yes or no is passe now-a-days.

Did you emphasize how much you wanted to work for "Medtronics" in the interview?

Did you emphasize how much you wanted to work for "Medtronics" in the interview?

That doesn't matter. These days, it doesn't matter what company you're talking about, you're just a hunk of meat, no more, no less.

HR people are the worst about treating you that way. They don't understand your credentials, nor do they even care. They treat everyone as though they're applying for a job as Janitor.

That doesn't matter. These days, it doesn't matter what company you're talking about, you're just a hunk of meat, no more, no less.

HR people are the worst about treating you that way. They don't understand your credentials, nor do they even care. They treat everyone as though they're applying for a job as Janitor.

If you're discouraged by how HR has treated you then you will never make it in sales. Gettiing past the gate keepers is your job....Medtronic is hard to get into and hiring process can be a cold experience. These are uncertain times for the employed and unemployed and the culture is defined by the temperature of the staff...I challenge you to find a warm and fuzzy anywhere in todays work force.

If you're discouraged by how HR has treated you then you will never make it in sales. Gettiing past the gate keepers is your job....Medtronic is hard to get into and hiring process can be a cold experience. These are uncertain times for the employed and unemployed and the culture is defined by the temperature of the staff...I challenge you to find a warm and fuzzy anywhere in todays work force.

Why attempt to cover for the HR incompetence that was being described.

They actually did a background check on your resume and work experience...? Very impressive being we have managers here who don't even have a college degree!

Why attempt to cover for the HR incompetence that was being described.
I'm not. It's the way it is if they're not interested in you. No nice rejection letters need to go out..waste of time and $........just last week Cordis employees all got an email blast to all go home and wait for a phone call of which they would be told if they are being riff'd or not. How's that for cold?

I'm not. It's the way it is if they're not interested in you. No nice rejection letters need to go out..waste of time and $........just last week Cordis employees all got an email blast to all go home and wait for a phone call of which they would be told if they are being riff'd or not. How's that for cold?

I was thinking that a company telling someone new that there would be training and then not following up was a bit much. But I see now what you mean. Yeah, if a company's not interested, an applicant might be ignored after an interview. Personally, I wouldn't mind if I didn't get a rejection letter.

Layoffs are hard but sometimes needed. If I had to get laid off, I think I would prefer getting laid off the Cordis way, but to each his own.

Wow....you guys really dislike management....hope you're nearing retirement because it will be a long road for you unless you start your own company. Don't be a follower!!!

To this poster above and others. You see, in my opinion, these posts don't really have much to do with disliking management. It is a disappointment about what seems to be a similar self centered, face saving characteristic of senior managers. Go back and look at the first post and the first 1-3 lines as commented on by Bill George. I think this has been a good line of posts that comment on management and the so called "underlings," or junior managers who have seen concerns at Medtronic that fall into the category of being damaging, limiting, and harmful to R&D and professional growth at MTD.

To this poster above and others. You see, in my opinion, these posts don't really have much to do with disliking management. It is a disappointment about what seems to be a similar self centered, face saving characteristic of senior managers. Go back and look at the first post and the first 1-3 lines as commented on by Bill George. I think this has been a good line of posts that comment on management and the so called "underlings," or junior managers who have seen concerns at Medtronic that fall into the category of being damaging, limiting, and harmful to R&D and professional growth at MTD.
Overall, the culture of MDt is fine. Middle managment does not define or dictate the culture as it appears the direction of this thread is heading. If you want to hang your professional limitations on your manager, go ahead, but if you do work for MDT, name another company you wish you would be working for.

Overall, the culture of MDt is fine. Middle managment does not define or dictate the culture as it appears the direction of this thread is heading. If you want to hang your professional limitations on your manager, go ahead, but if you do work for MDT, name another company you wish you would be working for.

My suggestion. If you are in middle management, take a deep interest in what is happening below you, maybe moreso than above in the chain. If everything is fine, great. Look again from time to time to make sure. If there's a problem, fix the problem as is in your scope of responsibilty and power.

I love it that the repeated answer from the people who seem to be managers on this board is - leave. As if with this attitude MDT will always be an employer of choice, if it even is now. What if middle managers use their power to always try to create a better place, every day? You could look at this thread as constructive criticism, whether you feel it's justified or not. Maybe people are axe-grinders here or maybe they're commenting in sincerity, who knows? It's an interesting thread.

My suggestion. If you are in middle management, take a deep interest in what is happening below you, maybe moreso than above in the chain. If everything is fine, great. Look again from time to time to make sure. If there's a problem, fix the problem as is in your scope of responsibilty and power.

I love it that the repeated answer from the people who seem to be managers on this board is - leave. As if with this attitude MDT will always be an employer of choice, if it even is now. What if middle managers use their power to always try to create a better place, every day? You could look at this thread as constructive criticism, whether you feel it's justified or not. Maybe people are axe-grinders here or maybe they're commenting in sincerity, who knows? It's an interesting thread.

Good managers manage everyone differently based on the their employees experience level and the type of job they are expected to perform within in the group. Perhaps you observe your manager managing others differently than the way he/she manages you and it bothers you. Did the manager you work for hire you or were you inherited from a previous manager?