Former CNS manager now in primary care. The future is slightly better!

... "Yo, Hey Doc" (yells from the parking lot). Okay, eye contact and a wave. 'That's a call.'

I think I know what the guy means. Years ago I only sold from medical journal reprints. If was fun and the Docs really did respect us for our knowledge. The job has been so dumbed down that I really was not concerned if I was retained or not. I was, so I will sell because I have relationships. For once, AstraZeneca got it right in terms of keeping me and my relationships intact.

I think I know what the guy means. Years ago I only sold from medical journal reprints. If was fun and the Docs really did respect us for our knowledge. The job has been so dumbed down that I really was not concerned if I was retained or not. I was, so I will sell because I have relationships. For once, AstraZeneca got it right in terms of keeping me and my relationships intact.

Did this as well. Remember Keeping a binder full of Diprivan clinical reprints. It was astounding how many there were. Hospital reps often when to libraries in teaching hospitals to keep abreast of studies. Those days are loooong gone.

Did this as well. Remember Keeping a binder full of Diprivan clinical reprints. It was astounding how many there were. Hospital reps often when to libraries in teaching hospitals to keep abreast of studies. Those days are loooong gone.

I used to go to the medical school library every month and I would read through about 10 journals that pertained to my products at the time. I would photocopy the articles about my drug or my competitor, and off I would go to sell! My Docs loved that I brought them fresh and new information every single month. They would often comment, "I am glad you do this for me, I just don't have time to read 20 journals a month!"

Reps really were "Consultants" in those days. Plus, there were not so many of us. Well, I guess in that respect things are headed back to the old days!

I was happy to land in primary care. Symbicort and Crestor at least have some patent life left. Yes, I realize the pipeline is dry. However, compare primary care with the remaining CNS division.

This is my honest opinion. The best CNS reps were moved to primary care. Why? CNS in general is considered by Senior management to be the best sales force historically. I can see it first hand. I had some great CNS reps moved into my primary care district.

Senior management realizes Seroquel XR will tank in 6 months once Seroquel IR, Zyprexa, and Geodon generics all gain traction in the pharma wholesalers.

The remaining CNS franchise will be the first to go in 9-12 months unless AZ can in license a new product or we buy/merge with another company.

All of these concepts were discussed in the calibration meetings regarding which reps would be retained. If you are a retained CNS rep, you ranked at the low end of CNS. The highly ranked CNS reps were moved to primary care in case the company survives in its current format for one or more years.

If you are retained CNS, or retained Diabetes, you really should continue your job search with vigor.

I share this because I know some of the folks I managed are good people, but not the highest ranked sales reps. Use this stay of execution to find your future!

I am a retained CNS rep. Obviously, I would like to take a verbal shot at you, but unfortunately I think you are right. I don't think my counterpart that was moved to primary care is any better than me, I just think it was the luck of the draw. Geography, salary, who knows? However, I will admit that CNS is dead with generic Seroquel on the horizon. I will stick around for a year or until the next layoff. My hope is that AZ will in license something that we can sell in the near future. If they don't, I am sure CNS is gone within 12 to 18 months.

I used to go to the medical school library every month and I would read through about 10 journals that pertained to my products at the time. I would photocopy the articles about my drug or my competitor, and off I would go to sell! My Docs loved that I brought them fresh and new information every single month. They would often comment, "I am glad you do this for me, I just don't have time to read 20 journals a month!"

Reps really were "Consultants" in those days. Plus, there were not so many of us. Well, I guess in that respect things are headed back to the old days!

I used to do the same thing as well! We even had monthly journal club meetings where we would share the best reprints with each other. The job was so much fun in those days!

So If I understand correctly you are saying that since I remain in CNS specialty force, I'm what, dog food, not the creme de la creme?! And that I should vigorously job search or soon face the executioner?

I'm sure your DSM "colleagues" are lovin' you.

Although there could be a ring of truth to it, this still sounds like a self-congratulatory pat on the back if you ask me. In the meantime, you might remember where you are and watch yours.

The key point in your response: "Although there could be a ring of truth to it."

You are correct, it is true. The former CNS manager is actually doing you a favor by helping you realize that although you have been retained, you are in a very tenuous position right now. No, you are not dog food, you are probably a good rep. However, circumstances have placed you near the edge. Take this information and use it to your advantage!

The only thing worse is the telemarketing. Docs have told me they are getting very aggressive. He has instructed the staff to send them to voicemail. He wants me to hear what they are saying and the tone they use.

I'll be honest, I was displaced to PC and had my ego bruised by the move. It is hard this week to say good-bye to doctors I have called on for 10+ years. Good luck to all of us.
Serious answer here. I get it. You earned your way to a specialty spot which was once the coveted goal, and now feel, even though your salary and FSIP are untouched, you have been demoted. Here's the reality from a primary care perspective. There are no more "specialty" jobs. CVAS/Hospital call on different customers, but have no more freedom or flexibility. Oncology is all about execution. Diabetes calls on Primary Care physicians. Your ego is responding to a 2007 environment. Get over it. If this displacement is oo hard to swallow, quit. There are 1150 displaced, but still active employees, ready to take the job.

AZ has shut down all of the CNS R&D sites. What do you think that says about the future of CNS at AZ? I am glad I was shifted to primary care. At least Symbicort has some patent life left!

But its competitors don't have patent life left, so that marginalizes its future potential as well.

Wrong, Advair still has no generic, and it probably won't for 4 years. Generics in the respiratory market have to get the drug approved AS WELL AS the device itself. This is very expensive for the generic companies.

Symbicort currently has the best potential of any drug in the declining AZ portfolio.

Wrong, Advair still has no generic, and it probably won't for 4 years. Generics in the respiratory market have to get the drug approved AS WELL AS the device itself. This is very expensive for the generic companies.

Symbicort currently has the best potential of any drug in the declining AZ portfolio.

Agreed that Symbicort is the best of a poor lot in the portfolio. Delivery device issues present a barrier to entry, but that is an awfully big market potential available for the generics. Some of the bigger generics may still go right after Advair, there is just too much potential money to be made for them. The barrier to entry makes it particularly attractive to the generics actually, because it keeps their generic competitors at bay past the generic exclusivity period. I don't think it will take them 4 years to get generic Advair out there, but you are certainly correct that it won't happen immediately after patent expiry.

Just one more reason I am glad I was rolled into Primary Care from CNS. Yes, I know the ship is sinking, but Symbicort alone might give me two more years with the company.

I do feel sorry for my cohorts that were laid off. Some certainly did not deserve it. However, since I was not, two more years is two more years. Two more years of salary, bonus, 401 k, company matching, benefits, car, and the freedom to look for a new job should a good opportunity pop up.

Two years from now when I am laid off, maybe the job market is in better shape. You never know.............

Seroquel XR promotion will continue through December 31, 2012. This is the current plan. However, if generic erosion reaches a certain threshold before that date, then Seroquel XR promtion will end.

CNS layoffs will be first quarter of 2013, but earlier if business conditions warrant. I am just trying to give you relevant information that you can use.

Not true, they are assigning a 50% increase in sales for XR. Therefore, they will keep the force thru 2016 when XR goes generic. We will then have something new licensed.