Former CNS manager now in primary care. The future is slightly better!

Docs don't like combo drugs period! Just look at Vimovo

Vimovo does not contibute to any medical need that can't be satisfied by a trip to the over the counter generic aisle at the local Walgreens.

Vytorin containing the relatively weak statin zocor, on the other hand sold close to $2 billion last year. This new combo containing lipitor as the statin, which still does require a prescription, and is not demonstably inferior to crestor (by our own study) combined with zetia should out perform that drug as well as extend the patents for their statin. Crestor will be the one left without a dance partner in this marketing dance. Are there any real benefits to either of the combos? Perhaps not, but we all know that big pharma is not about the science at all now, but rather it is all about the sales and marketing. If you are selling crestor, this is a real threat in the mid term. In the long term crestor will of course be off patent as well unless it gets a marketable combo too.

Vimovo does not contibute to any medical need that can't be satisfied by a trip to the over the counter generic aisle at the local Walgreens.

Vytorin containing the relatively weak statin zocor, on the other hand sold close to $2 billion last year. This new combo containing lipitor as the statin, which still does require a prescription, and is not demonstably inferior to crestor (by our own study) combined with zetia should out perform that drug as well as extend the patents for their statin. Crestor will be the one left without a dance partner in this marketing dance. Are there any real benefits to either of the combos? Perhaps not, but we all know that big pharma is not about the science at all now, but rather it is all about the sales and marketing. If you are selling crestor, this is a real threat in the mid term. In the long term crestor will of course be off patent as well unless it gets a marketable combo too.

Well of course silly!

You extend the life of the brand by combining it with another compound, on or off patent, no matter no worries. Then you brainwash your sales staff until they believe. Toss in some marketing magic and loads of TV adverts with pretty brand identifying colors and you're off and running.

Well of course silly!

You extend the life of the brand by combining it with another compound, on or off patent, no matter no worries. Then you brainwash your sales staff until they believe. Toss in some marketing magic and loads of TV adverts with pretty brand identifying colors and you're off and running.

You still do have to rebrand the combo with an exciting new name in the massive ad campaign, so at least you can pretend its a new drug!!

Its not that old tired crestor, now its the all new excelsior!!

I am still here. Most of my former CNS rep peers have now left the company. The move to primary care has worked out well for me. I am selling Crestor and making bonus. I still have the same base I had in CNS. I agree with the OP.

I am doing great with Crestor and Symbicort. I have no desire to go back to CNS. Plus, my territory is much smaller.

You still do have to rebrand the combo with an exciting new name in the massive ad campaign, so at least you can pretend its a new drug!!

Its not that old tired crestor, now its the all new excelsior!!

It appears that CEO of Amarin might agree with you.

"Management didn't fully address the obvious question: Will Amarin line up a partner or be acquired? The most that Zakrzewski would say on any potential partnerships was that they are "still evaluating" the possibilities.

He was asked, however, about AstraZeneca's (NYSE: AZN ) recent acquisition of Omthera Pharmaceuticals, which has its own fish-oil drug. Zakrzewski brushed the question off in large part, saying that the deal probably was more about protecting AstraZeneca's cholesterol drug Crestor than lowering triglycerides."