• Fri news: Gilead withdraws bladder cancer drug. Amgen and Intercept PDUFA date pushback. CVS replaces CEO. Supernus depression trial. AbbVie Parkinson’s approval. See more on our front page

Wow, cutting edge. AZ to sell fish oil. You must be so proud.

Anonymous

You got to be kidding me that AZ is getting into the fish oil arena. Talk about 6 one way or 1/2 dozen another. I can hear the arguments now about whose fish oil is better as if there was really any difference. Patients are better off just buying it over the counter and so is the healthcare industry. What a freaking joke of a product. How late to the party can AZ get?
Good luck trying to get any physician excited about this. I can hear the noise now, sorry, my mistake. That was snoring I heard not screams of excitement from the physicians over their long wait for this cutting edge medication.

You got to be kidding me that AZ is getting into the fish oil arena. Talk about 6 one way or 1/2 dozen another. I can hear the arguments now about whose fish oil is better as if there was really any difference. Patients are better off just buying it over the counter and so is the healthcare industry. What a freaking joke of a product. How late to the party can AZ get?
Good luck trying to get any physician excited about this. I can hear the noise now, sorry, my mistake. That was snoring I heard not screams of excitement from the physicians over their long wait for this cutting edge medication.

Can you say trilipix or certriad ? Did any notice no outcomes are associated with fish oil ? How f'n dumb are we ? Let's sell snake oil

Yes, one can be used to make a combo drug with Crestor for patent extensions. Why it might just be as successful as Vimovo. Why else would they do this?

Do you remember when they tried to get approval on Crestor and Trilipix when Trilipix even had the indication to be used with a statin. I doubt that the FDA is going to give any patent extension for a combo drug.

Shhhhhh.... Lighten up you Negative thinkers. The Fish Oil is "our" first BIG accomplishment on Return to Growth journey. It is a strategic success story as the Frenchman puts it! This highlights that our growth strategies are working.

I bet Pfizer can't resist to have us now with the fish oil in our portfolio....

Shhhhhh.... Lighten up you Negative thinkers. The Fish Oil is "our" first BIG accomplishment on Return to Growth journey. It is a strategic success story as the Frenchman puts it! This highlights that our growth strategies are working.

I bet Pfizer can't resist to have us now with the fish oil in our portfolio....

Pfizer is very keen on fish oil and invested big money in 2011 in a bidding war to take over Ferrosan and the FriFlyt Active Omega Brands - no joke, and Reckitt Benckiser bought Schiffs for its Krilloil....in addition Pfizer will soon launch Nexium as OTC

Ever listen to the Lovaza commercials? "Lovaza has not been shown to prevent heart attacks or stroke". Then why the F take it?

The failed trials of Lovaza in the recent past were due to the placebo (olive oil) - Amarin used mineral oil and has an outcome trial ongoing. Other trials without olive oil placebo are quite positive, see e.g.:

Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2014 Apr 22. [Epub ahead of print]

Omega-3 Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids Reduce the Incidence of Postoperative Atrial Fibrillation in Patients with History of Prior Myocardial Infarction Undergoing Isolated Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting.

Wilbring M, Ploetze K, Bormann S, Waldow T, Matschke K.

Introduction The impact of omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) for prevention of atrial fibrillation (AF) is still part of a lively debate. The present study evaluates the impact of orally administered omega-3 ethyl ester concentrate (omega-3 PUFA) on postoperative onset of AF in patients with recent myocardial infarction (≤ 3 months) undergoing isolated coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG). Patients and Methods The study included a total of 198 patients with recent (≤ 3 months) myocardial infarction. The treatment group consisted of 99 prospectively and randomly assigned patients. A matched control group was generated out of the entirety of patients undergoing isolated CABG during the same time period, being not treated with omega-3 PUFA. Primary endpoint was onset of postoperative AF. Patients of the treatment group received a daily dose of 2 g omega-3 PUFA, initiated 5 days before surgery. Effective serum levels were confirmed by laboratory testing. Results Patients of the treatment group had less frequently postoperative AF (treatment: 31.3% vs. control: 48.0%; p = 0.017). The reduction in relative risk was 34.8% in the treatment group, which conforms a number needed to treat (NNT) of 6.0 patients. A more pronounced effect with a NNT of 4.1 was observed in patients ≤ 70 years (p = 0.007). Besides, patients of the treatment group had a shorter intensive care unit stay (p = 0.001) and suffered less frequently from impaired wound healing by trend (p = 0.063). One patient out of treatment group and two out of control group died during hospital stay (p = 1.000). Conclusion Preoperative administration of 2 g omega-3 PUFA reduces incidence of postoperative AF in patients with recent (≤ 3 months) myocardial infarction undergoing isolated CABG.

You minions have about as much understanding and foresight as a deaf, dumb, and blind man....no that is an insult to them.

1. Know who helped develop this drug and what that means.

2. Understand the full therapeutic value of Omega 3s and the complete science.

3. Uses will probably go beyond current. They have anti-inflammatory properties. Look at what diseases are low or non-existent in the high omega 3 consumption populations.

4. Out comes studies have not been completed thus the lack of cardiovascular claims.

5. Studies that have "failed" are with sub-therapeutic doses. Completely invalid comparing those to the prescription dosages.

6. This will be another good bridge to get us to the PCSK9 days without losing our people and relationships due to a lack of product.

I am not even with your stupid ass company, but cop a freaking clue!

LOL.
Great post and very accurate.

These pharmaceutical companies are truly the laughing stock to the educated people in this world.

Glad you see it! Not many do. As bad as fish oil is, look at the weight loss products in this industry!

From Amazon:

Omega-3 Fish Oil - Superior Triglyceride Form (Approx 92% of Fish Oil Is in Poorly Absorbed Ethyl Ester Form) - High EPA DHA - 1500mg Omega 3 Fatty Acids Per Serving of 2 - 3rd Party Tested & Certified - Wild Caught Fish & Patented Purification Process - Fresh Lemon Taste & No Fishy Burps - 180 Softgel Capsules - Offers a Multitude of Health Benefits

20 cents a pill

In Stock.
Sold by Naturenetics and Fulfilled by Amazon.
Want it tomorrow, May 9? Order within 4 hrs 4 mins and choose One-Day Shipping at checkout. Details

WHY OMEGA-3 - Omega-3 Fish Oil is backed by countless clinical studies and real life accounts where it has been shown to improve a whole manner of health conditions. From improving heart and arteries problems, to weight loss, preventing memory loss, bringing freedom from depression and more.
IMPORTANT DISTINCTION BETWEEN OMEGA-3 PRODUCTS - Most fish oil goes through a purification and concentration process, where any harmful toxins are removed and the level of EPA and DHA is increased to much greater levels than is found naturally. During this process the oil moves from its natural triglyceride form, into a semi-synthetic form known as Ethyl Ester. To enable this chemical process the natural glycerol backbone is removed and it is replaced with an ethanol (pure alcohol) one. This is where roughly 92% of fish oil brands stop. There is another step that converts the oil back to its initial triglyceride form, so it remains pure and concentrated but is delivered in the same natural structure as it started out. This form is known as re-esterified triglyceride. This additional step can cost an extra 30-40% and makes the manufacturing process more complex and time consuming, which is why only a small percentage of high quality brands take this extra step (of which Naturenetics is one)
WHY THIS MATTERS? - The ethanol backbone in the Ethyl Ester omega-3's is up to 50 times more resistant to your digestive enzymes, compared to Triglycerides, making it much more difficult to absorb, therefore rendering it far less effective. A study in 2010 found our body's ability to absorb EPA & DHA from Ethyl Ester Fish Oil was 70% less than the re-esterified triglyceride form. Which means, with all else being equal, for every one capsule of the re-esterified Triglyceride form (like Naturenetics Omega-3) you would need 1.7 Ethyl Ester Capsules to achieve the same effect. Other studies have found Ethyl Esters potentially toxic to cells, less stable and more likely to oxidize, raising the question of potential health risks. No toxicity has been found in the body with Triglyceride forms.
HOW TO PICK THE EFFECTIVE FORM OF OMEGA-3 - An estimated 92% of Omega-3 Fish Oil products on the market are in this poorly absorbed, unnatural, synthetic form because it's the fastest and cheapest way to produce fish oil. There are no requirements in this country for Omega-3 Fish oil to be labeled on the bottle as either Ethyl Ester or Triglyceride form, and, unless you have read the research, it is unlikely you would ever know the difference. Re-esterified Triglyceride has been shown to be safer, better absorbed and by far the best choice for optimum health benefits. Because it is 30-40% more expensive to manufacture, those that do will list it on the label, if it says Ethyl Ester or doesn't specify, you can be sure you are getting the inferior and less effective version.
WHY NATURENETICS IS THE BEST TRIGLYCERIDE PRODUCT - Naturenetics Premium Omega 3 fish oil passes through a patented purification process by which purity standards attained are not only higher than those required by the authorities (based on the GOED's Voluntary Fish Oil Monograph), they are almost 20 times less than the currently acceptable PCB limits. This means you enjoy the purest product, free of harmful toxins. Just one serving (two softgels) delivers a whopping 1,500mg of Omega-3 fatty acids, including 816mg EPA and 544mg DHA. This is 3 to 4 times more than standard fish oil supplements. Plus it is tested by and Independent 3rd party laboratory to confirm it is full strength, and is the only Omega-3 product to publish these results on Amazon (See images above). We use wild caught anchovies which the The Natural Resources Defense Council categorizes as fish with the least mercury and safe to consume. All fish are sourced naturally according to both IFFO (International Fish Oil Fish Meal Organization) Responsible Sourcing and Friends of the Sea Certifications. Each softgel includes a natural lemon flavor that prevents fishy taste, fishy burps or any oily sensation in the mouth.