• Wed news: Lilly’s 4.5B medicine foundry project. 5 FDA decisions to watch in Q4. Hurricane Helene and the health supply chain. Lundbeck taps Charles River for AI-enabled neuro drug discovery. Amgen tax evasion lawsuit. See more on our front page

What will happen to us reps when Humira patent expires?!

<

Actually, several companies have Humira biosimilars ready to launch the day the patent expires... and these are not companies who would waste billions developing this product if there was any possibility that they would not be launching it.

I don't care. I tried to get out of here and Celgene wouldn't even call me back. Fuckers.

I will spend my time crushing them on their own message boards. In my spare time, I will get a job with Lilly. Their product will be safer than Novartis's and I hate Novartis as well.

But nothing compares to my hatred of Celgene. I hate them for not calling me back.

I don't care. I tried to get out of here and Celgene wouldn't even call me back. Fuckers.

I will spend my time crushing them on their own message boards. In my spare time, I will get a job with Lilly. Their product will be safer than Novartis's and I hate Novartis as well.

But nothing compares to my hatred of Celgene. I hate them for not calling me back.

Lilly will be king of biosimilars soon.

Amgen starts another phase III trial for biosimilar adalimumab
Posted 14/03/2014

US biotechnology giant Amgen has started recruiting for a phase III clinical trial of its biosimilar adalimumab in patients suffering from plaque psoriasis, according to the US clinical trials website, Clinicaltrials.gov.

Amgen’s drug is a biosimilar version of AbbVie’s blockbuster autoimmune disease treatment Humira (adalimumab). Humira is a tumour necrosis factor (TNF) inhibitor that is approved to treat rheumatoid, juvenile rheumatoid and psoriatic arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, Crohn’s disease, psoriasis and ulcerative colitis.

Amgen already has a phase III trial underway to study the safety and efficacy Amgen’s biosimilar (ABP 501) versus AbbVie’s Humira in subjects with rheumatoid arthritis [1]. This second phase III study will compare the effectiveness and safety of ABP 501 and Humira in adults with plaque psoriasis.

The trial is a multicentre, double-blind, randomized, active-controlled, parallel-group study. The main objective of the study is to compare the effectiveness of ABP 501 and Humira in subjects with moderate to severe plaque psoriasis with respect to the per cent improvement in Psoriasis Area and Severity Index (PASI) after treatment.

The trial, which is now reported to be recruiting patients, will be conducted in Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Hungary and Poland, and will include 340 patients, aged 18–75 years.

Sales for Humira, the world’s top-selling prescription drug, were almost US$10.7 billion in 2013, accounting for almost 60% of AbbVie’s total sales. The patents on Humira expire in the European Union in 2016 and in the US in 2018 [2].

Amgen is not the only pharma company with its sights set on adalimumab. Pharma giant Pfizer has also started phase I study for its biosimilar adalimumab candidate (PF-06410293) [3]. While generics giant Sandoz started a phase III clinical trial for a biosimilar version of adalimumab in patients suffering from psoriasis in December 2013 [4].

Related article

Please! They did you a favor. Why would you WANT to sell that oral?