Please tell me like it is! PTO and Vacation Time in the industry

anonymous

Hello,

I am have been doing my research about pharma sales and medical device sales. The only thing that worries me is 'work/life balance.' I also see how high the turnover is. Is this why? It seems like ortho med sales work more on weekends and evenings.

My husband gets pto at his job and we usually take a couple of trips a year, as well as visiting family out of state for the holidays. We have an eight year old daughter.

Don't sugar coat it..is this even possible with a career in sales???

<

Pharma yes you can do and travel and have a great work life balance.
Early on in Ortho sales , Not a chance.
Other device sales - really depends on the product and territory size .

Pharma yes you can do and travel and have a great work life balance.
Early on in Ortho sales , Not a chance.
Other device sales - really depends on the product and territory size .

I would agree, have spent time in both and now back in pharma and much happier. Do you research first of course on pipeline, state of affairs, market, etc

I can only speak of ortho since the past 12 years of my life have been in ortho. It is the most flexible and unflexible job there is. If numbers are good and you don't have any cases that day you can do whatever you want and no one will care. On the flip side you may think you have a free day and the next thing you know you have a bipolar adding on in the evening after clinic is over for the day. Not much work life balance, but that is mostly dependent on the team you are on. Ortho recon is about always being available when you get the call whether they want you to stop byto look at an x ray or a surprise poly or head swap out on Sunday. I wouldn't suggest it if you are a women who is not already in the industry with a child. It will be very tough, no such thing as PTO and if you have a good amount of business vacations are limited to a long weekend.