• Mon news: Ventyx gets boost from Sanofi. PhRMA IRA legal challenge gets new life. AZ breast cancer drug disappoints. Teva’s once-monthly schizophrenia med. AZ gets FDA approval for first self-administered flu vaccine. See more on our front page

Performance -based coaching

My manager does that shit all the time. Not a problem for me, because I actually work, but it sure makes me hate this company and him. I work my ass off, have sales to prove it and any company/manager that can’t appreciate sales success doesn’t deserve my effort. I’m out as soon as the right opportunity pops up.

You could go sit in a cubicle for eight hours staring at a computer screen with a phone on your ear. Just go do your job the best you can, and stop whining. I’ve been a rep over three decades, and I’ve come to the realization that we are just spoiled! Get up, go to work, do your best and go home. Not that difficult!!

You could go sit in a cubicle for eight hours staring at a computer screen with a phone on your ear. Just go do your job the best you can, and stop whining. I’ve been a rep over three decades, and I’ve come to the realization that we are just spoiled! Get up, go to work, do your best and go home. Not that difficult!!
You’re not a rep. No, my job is not that difficult. I make selling Leqvio look like child’s play. My manager and the micromanaging he is encouraged to do is that difficult and frankly, there are better companies everywhere. Why would Novartis want to lose their best reps? I have no idea.
All we want is to be paid for our sales and the freedom to make them.

You’re not a rep. No, my job is not that difficult. I make selling Leqvio look like child’s play. My manager and the micromanaging he is encouraged to do is that difficult and frankly, there are better companies everywhere. Why would Novartis want to lose their best reps? I have no idea.
You are paid for your sales with a salary. Anything above expectations is tied to your bonus. We appreciate you, buttercream. Keep up the good work!

You are paid for your sales with a salary. Anything above expectations is tied to your bonus. We appreciate you, buttercream. Keep up the good work!

You must be licking the balls of Dez. What happened to being unbossed HAHAHAHA. When you micro manage people they work less. A happy worker is more productive no matter how much or little you make.

What’s wrong with you people? Haven’t you all become members of the ALL DAY LIE made famous at AZ many, many years ago??? I have been a member for at least a decade and love it! 75% of my calls are lies and are the “sign here doc”, and the other 25% are maybe 30 seconds. NO, they don’t trust us and for good reason, because we are all liars and cheats! At least I will admit it, will you?

3 day field rides will rat out all of us, maybe even me, but I doubt it. JUST IMAGINE THIS NIGHTMARE SCENARIO, YOUR MANAGER CALLS YOU THE NIGHT BEFORE WANTING TO HAVE A 2 DAY RIDE STARTING THE FOLLOWING MORNING!! We would all shit our pants! Let’s hope it doesn’t come to that!

Never heard of the “all day lie” and I have been in Pharma for 20 years. That’s a sure way of getting yourself shit canned if that’s what people are doing. I could care less if my boss asks for a field ride on short notice. The only thing she will find is that my car usually isn’t bright and shiny clean compared to when I have advance notice. Managers should avoid that anyway by putting out a calendar in advance or better yet how about asking the reps if there are any lunches or appts coming up with big offices and then build his/her schedule around us not when it’s convenient for them. And last comment if the company is so customer obsessed they would care about the customer and not have the managers always in the field with us

It is difficult depending on the drug you sell. Imagine asking a product that’s been around for over a decade with no new data and the managers still expect us to go through a typical sales model sales call and then coach to it. Pulling new things to say out of my ass daily. But we are spoiled for the most part just leave us alone with the monthly field rides

Because they can not admit their launch strategy was complete SHIT as well as most of the outside reimbursement people they brought on board so the easier thing to do is to blame the field for lack of sales

24 hour notice filed rides would be a disaster for reps and managers. The managers would likely see what a typical field day is for us, just like it used to be for them, then realize we don’t plan and certainly don’t work a full day. Then what do they do with that info? Start a PIP on all of us? Nope, they would lose reps hand over fist if that happened. Let’s just all keep the status quo! You know what our true story is inn re working. Just accept it, everyone keep drawing a check and all will be well. DON’T ROCK THE BOAT!

It is difficult depending on the drug you sell. Imagine asking a product that’s been around for over a decade with no new data and the managers still expect us to go through a typical sales model sales call and then coach to it. Pulling new things to say out of my ass daily. But we are spoiled for the most part just leave us alone with the monthly field rides

1000%. Especially with cardiologists.

Neil describing CV leaders at Nat Mtg:
Feeling inspired after an amazing week with my sales leaders. Excited to see what this excellent team can deliver for appropriate patients. #reimaginingmedicine

They really don’t understand that over half these folks are a significant reason why sales are down & talent is fleeing. So sad!

This isn’t only CV. It’s every sales force as far as metrics goes but for some reason it seems the neuroscience team is not part of this (lower call average and managers not in the field as much). I can’t wait until offices start banning the managers from coming in. Wake up leadership you are just hurting our relationships with customers the more you force the managers to be in the field

This isn’t only CV. It’s every sales force as far as metrics goes but for some reason it seems the neuroscience team is not part of this (lower call average and managers not in the field as much). I can’t wait until offices start banning the managers from coming in. Wake up leadership you are just hurting our relationships with customers the more you force the managers to be in the field

Neuroscience is not exempt from this. We have already been told about 2 day field rides. The reason our call metrics is lower is we have large territories. When all spots are filled we have 150 reps. Some reps have 2 to 3 states. I drive 3 hours to a town with only 4 neuros (2 might be targets) We are being micromanaged on call average/ RTE/omnichannel/call averages and capabilities

Neuroscience is not exempt from this. We have already been told about 2 day field rides. The reason our call metrics is lower is we have large territories. When all spots are filled we have 150 reps. Some reps have 2 to 3 states. I drive 3 hours to a town with only 4 neuros (2 might be targets) We are being micromanaged on call average/ RTE/omnichannel/call averages and capabilities

That makes sense as far as call metrics go. But the respiratory (Xolair) team was restructured several years ago and they only have 77 reps and large territories as well. They are being asked to deliver between 6 and 7 calls per day. Maybe 1-2 practitioners in each office so they have to drive all over to achieve metrics for the day

I'm still laughing about the idea that this job is "sales."

From the rep perspective I can understand the self-rationalization needed to keep yourself going. But from management!? HAHAHA, about 1% of this job is actual sales.

I feel bad for anyone young getting into this business.

Tip: The only "sales" aspect of this job is developing relationships. Don't let management or anyone else tell you otherwise. Also, don't feel bad when your relationships get ruined because they keep insisting on ride-alongs where your idiotic manager asks the doctor "FOR THE NEXT 15 PATIENTS WILL YOU BLAH BLAH BLAH."

Right it’s not real sales and the worst part is you have managers who have never worked in real sales trying to coach reps how to do something that they themselves have zero experience doing. 100% scene Dumb and dumber.

24 hour notice filed rides would be a disaster for reps and managers. The managers would likely see what a typical field day is for us, just like it used to be for them, then realize we don’t plan and certainly don’t work a full day. Then what do they do with that info? Start a PIP on all of us? Nope, they would lose reps hand over fist if that happened. Let’s just all keep the status quo! You know what our true story is inn re working. Just accept it, everyone keep drawing a check and all will be well. DON’T ROCK THE BOAT!

24 hour notice would be a complete and totally nightmare! Let’s hope they don’t ever start that!

I'm still laughing about the idea that this job is "sales."

From the rep perspective I can understand the self-rationalization needed to keep yourself going. But from management!? HAHAHA, about 1% of this job is actual sales.

I feel bad for anyone young getting into this business.

Tip: The only "sales" aspect of this job is developing relationships. Don't let management or anyone else tell you otherwise. Also, don't feel bad when your relationships get ruined because they keep insisting on ride-alongs where your idiotic manager asks the doctor "FOR THE NEXT 15 PATIENTS WILL YOU BLAH BLAH BLAH."

Good point but if the relationships get ruined even by a manager we are still held accountable. One stubborn pig headed relic leader is responsible for eliminating what decent culture we had left at Novartis. Operating as if we are still in the early 2000’s is not working

Right it’s not real sales and the worst part is you have managers who have never worked in real sales trying to coach reps how to do something that they themselves have zero experience doing. 100% scene Dumb and dumber.
Buy and bill is real sales and that’s why Novartis sucks at it. It can’t be done on the pharma model. That’s why each team has one territory carrying the whole thing- there is usually about one person per area who has actually done real buy and bill sales before and gets how to do it. Novartis doesn’t and their attempt to train pharma sales to do buy and bill has been abysmal with no end in sight. Meanwhile, I’m carrying my team and barely making a bonus.