• Thurs news: Novo Nordisk’s port strike distribution plan. Arcus/AZ renal cancer trial. Lilly weight loss drugs no longer in shortage. Difficulties of a CVS breakup. Google and Biontech AI lab assistants. See more on our front page

It's official! Cardio Care is toast!

I'm guessing all the prep work has been done, the package signed off on, and the actual RIF awaiting an already-set date for implementation. It's not as if the LOE for Niaspan and TriLipix just snuck up on the Company.

This is True, everything is in motion, You dont just turn all this around in a few days. Watch how the boards are totally shutting down for jobs postings. If you have not secured a spot to move to by end of April, Your name is in the list and a fed ex envelope is already addressed to you....

JD announced the CC team will be released. No exact date, but I'm guessing sooner rather than later.

And the purpose of yesterday's JH voicemail reinforces the feeling that the strategy for the Company is to withold info in order to keep the team working. That "long runway" he referred to is designed to squeeze blood from the turnip before tilling the field. The news reports he decried as misleading would have been better countered by giving the CC team the whole story on last week's webinar.

I'm guessing all the prep work has been done, the package signed off on, and the actual RIF awaiting an already-set date for implementation. It's not as if the LOE for Niaspan and TriLipix just snuck up on the Company.

Oh yeah, at the 2012 NSM, we were reminded that Abbvie would be "lean and mean". And the mean side will be evident very soon.

The reduction was certainly part of long-term planning at least since the failure of Certriad.

And the purpose of yesterday's JH voicemail reinforces the feeling that the strategy for the Company is to withold info in order to keep the team working. That "long runway" he referred to is designed to squeeze blood from the turnip before tilling the field. The news reports he decried as misleading would have been better countered by giving the CC team the whole story on last week's webinar.

Mr. Heiney may find himself out of work soon if his pet project, Androfell continues to flounder. This guy is looking at a Karma experience and doesnt even know it.

Now, now, cool your jets. Remember the AbbVie/Abbott way. First they will have to schedule meetings to discuss the dates. Since 50 % of middle managment and upper management will be out on vacation dates and the other 50% will be out "sick" the first possible date when everyone will be present will probably be in a month or so. Then they will have to order lots of Panera, Coca Cola, Potato Chips and chocolate chip cookies to eat when they are bobbing their heads up and down to anything said at the meeting whether it makes sense or not. Then a memo will need to be drafted and then sent from dept to department to dept to dept to the next dept for approval signoff which will take another 3 or 4 weeks. Then someone will catch a mistake in the memo so a new memo will need to be drafted. Then that will be sent dept to dept for a few weeks. ETA of date , oops, date you get kicked to the curb..OOpsy. So Sorry.

That has all been completed. Be prepared to celebrate May Day with a "mayday"!

AbbVie Said to Fire Heart Sales Force as Generics Compete
By Drew Armstrong - Apr 16, 2013
AbbVie Inc. (ABBV), the drugmaker split off from Abbott Laboratories (ABT) this year, will fire its sales force for heart drugs as the medicines lose patent protection and face generic competition, according to a person familiar with the matter.

The firings total in the “mid-hundreds” and are a mix of AbbVie employees and contract workers, said the person, who asked not to be identified because they weren’t authorized to speak about the issue.

AbbVie is shifting its focus from primary care, such as drugs that treat a patient’s cholesterol, stroke or diabetes, to so-called specialty medications in areas of unmet health needs, Chief Financial Officer William Chase said in January. With the cardiology drugs losing patent protection, the North Chicago, Illinois-based company no longer needs a large sales force to advertise them to doctors.

Chase in January called 2013 and 2014 “a time of transition for AbbVie, as our lipid franchise experiences the entry of generics.”

Among those drugs is TriCor, a cholesterol medication that began facing generic competition in November and sold an estimated $1.37 billion last year. Also known as Trilipix, it was AbbVie’s second-biggest drug in 2012. Niaspan, an extended- release version of a drug to raise HDL or “good” cholesterol, also will face copycats this year. It sold $976 million in 2012.

Chase in January estimated that sales of the two drugs will fall by more than half this year.

Adelle Infante, an AbbVie spokeswoman, declined to comment on the firings.

Generic Competition

“TriCor began facing generic competition in late 2012 and several other products in our cardiovascular franchise will lose patent exclusivity in 2013,” she said yesterday in an e-mail.

The company’s biggest product remains Humira, an injection to treat the inflammatory disease rheumatoid arthritis. The medicine sold $7.93 billion last year.

AbbVie’s experimental drug pipeline suffered a setback last year when its partner, Reata Pharmaceuticals Inc., discontinued development of a drug for chronic kidney disease. The company’s top candidate in late-stage testing is a treatment for the viral liver infection hepatitis C, which may compete with a product in development by Gilead Sciences Inc. (GILD) This year, AbbVie suspended trials of an experimental leukemia and lymphoma medicine after two patients died.

AbbVie split from Abbott Laboratories on Jan. 1, leaving the parent company with the original business’s medical device, infant nutrition, generic drugs and diagnostics units. Since the split, AbbVie’s shares have gained 21 percent and Abbott Park, Illinois-based Abbott’s have gained 15 percent.

To contact the reporter on this story: Drew Armstrong in New York at darmstrong17@bloomberg.net

Anyone still here from cardio who went to Met ? Is JD still in philly ?

I'm home taking care of my kids. I was a DM, but I screwed up and got fired. I haven't worked in 3 years. I now sit at home and post on social media. I'm male.
I also got sacked for SPREADING rumors. Was in field sales for years. Out of work 2 years but no job offers. I also post here every day for entertainment.

I'm home taking care of my kids. I was a DM, but I screwed up and got fired. I haven't worked in 3 years. I now sit at home and post on social media. I'm male.
I'm still at home providing daycare for my kids. It's a good thing my wife has a professional job and is better educated than i. When I was shopping for a wife on various dating sites (yes and that's how I met her) I only dated professional women like lawyers and doctors. I knew because of all my psychological problems I couldn't hold down a job, and now I don't have to.