• Thurs news: Novo Nordisk’s port strike distribution plan. Arcus/AZ renal cancer trial. Lilly weight loss drugs no longer in shortage. Difficulties of a CVS breakup. Google and Biontech AI lab assistants. See more on our front page

Shire deal is official!

You seemed misinformed.

The only sales force at Abbvie which is heavy on reps, is our primary care sales force. Those folks have known for a while to be on the “lookout” for new jobs. With that being said, Abbvie has a history of taking care of its people, and placing them in new jobs, specifically when faced with downsizing a specific sales force. Also, Abbvie’s history shows it does not get rid of representatives from companies they have acquired, as evidenced by our Solvay sales force.

As for the rest of Abbvie’s sales force. We work under a “lean” model. We have less than 400 total Humira representatives, which generate about 7 billion dollars in business a year.

According to this post, Shire has a little over 500 representatives in the entire company, which generate slightly over 500 million dollars a year, across all Shire products.

So stop speculating. It doesn’t seem likely either Abbvie or Shire’s sales forces will be downsized, due to the merger.

Man everything you have stated above is essentially
the complete opposite of what history with Abbvie/abbott
has shown to be true. You need a history lesson
and a Koolaid antedote. Keep telling yourself
that all is going to be fine, the sales force
redundancies are not obvious, and you will be
well treated. Get a clue. It's clearly a mental
and reasoning deficit that you are sadly living with.

Man everything you have stated above is essentially
the complete opposite of what history with Abbvie/abbott
has shown to be true. You need a history lesson
and a Koolaid antedote. Keep telling yourself
that all is going to be fine, the sales force
redundancies are not obvious, and you will be
well treated. Get a clue. It's clearly a mental
and reasoning deficit that you are sadly living with.

Welcome to ShAbbie, your brand new drugco. Since it is sure to be out of money soon, count on all sales to be commission only and no base. Pretty ShAbbie, if I don't say so meself. Top of the morning to you. You will be lean, mean, like hungry dogs waiting for someone to throw you a bone. Welcome to the Nimble world of flying by the seat of your pants and hustling for a living. AbbVie, A promise for lies. ShAbbie, More of the same but and maybe even shabbier.

If you are personal buds with Little Ricky, you might be safe. Otherwise beware. These huge deals ALWAYS result in massive cuts. You think Humira needs 4 reps per territory calling on a total of 15 viable writers? You don't think docs find this constant nagging to be annoying? You don't think that every pharma employee including the janitors know that this shit has to be curtailed? This kind of major merger tide change will bring all that ridiculous overlap to the forefront. You think specialty is truly special in the eyes of a mega billion dollar conglomerate with the major access and healthcare challenges in the USA?
Its all about cost cost and cost amongst similar treatments in a particular disease state. There is no "primary care" per se at AbbVie anymore. Every franchise has a make believe specialty title.
Wake the hell up man. If you are counting on these pretend sales jobs for the long haul, you are out of luck.
Metabolic is a perfect example. Me, I'm getting the hell out of Dodge and taking my locked in retirement benefit while it still exists.

Why are you picking on Metabolics? The fat in sales is everywhere. We are Solvay and Jim is looking out for us. Since we were acquired by Abbvie, not one of us has been laid off. Oopsie, we are now in the reverse predicament! Nevermind
As a side note, I must agree about Humira. I personally know many of them who fake calls just to avoid being a nuisance in the offices with their overstaffed territories.
They are growing the numbers but do we really need people who make fake calls?

I'm so happy about this deal. Besides the tax benefits, the pipeline of products will be the real key. This pipeline ensures us growth for the next 10 years. Since I plan on retiring in 2025 this is perfect. Thanks Rickey boy, yo finally did a good job.

You seemed misinformed.

The only sales force at Abbvie which is heavy on reps, is our primary care sales force. Those folks have known for a while to be on the “lookout” for new jobs. With that being said, Abbvie has a history of taking care of its people, and placing them in new jobs, specifically when faced with downsizing a specific sales force. Also, Abbvie’s history shows it does not get rid of representatives from companies they have acquired, as evidenced by our Solvay sales force.

As for the rest of Abbvie’s sales force. We work under a “lean” model. We have less than 400 total Humira representatives, which generate about 7 billion dollars in business a year.

According to this post, Shire has a little over 500 representatives in the entire company, which generate slightly over 500 million dollars a year, across all Shire products.

So stop speculating. It doesn’t seem likely either Abbvie or Shire’s sales forces will be downsized, due to the merger.

Vyvanse does 1.5 billion per year with about 400 reps

I'm so happy about this deal. Besides the tax benefits, the pipeline of products will be the real key. This pipeline ensures us growth for the next 10 years. Since I plan on retiring in 2025 this is perfect. Thanks Rickey boy, yo finally did a good job.

good luck with that plan. better get a plan B, the transformation to this new monolithic company will, as always happens, result in many layoffs. There will be no stone unturned. If you are not a Harvard PHD with several discoveries under your belt, you are very vulnerable. Sales, admin, and other random overhead will be cut in a big way. It always happens and always will. They partly justify these hige expenditures in acquisitions with a transition plan that includes huge consolidation and fat trimming.
Sales in the US is an endangered species with ACA, Sunshine act, insurance dictating what can be written etc. Reps are not considered anything more then backslappers who are becoming more unwelcome in offices as doctors' time continues to become scarcer.
Get it?

Stop getting your panties in a bunch...all the attention is on this deal and it'll take up to a year to sort through it...remember we're AbbVie, with a leadership team that doesn't know it's shit from shoe polish...Metabolics is off the radar for now... continue making calls, do what you can, build more accrued time, save some money so when we do get whacked liked the CV team you'll get a decent severance..

Got to disagree on Metabolics opinion. If anything, this pending deal will push them to cut their new baby teeth on eliminating it faster. Abbvie needs to show good faith that they are not slacking and Met. sticks out like a sore cock as being a loser.

I'm good dude....not even a little worried about job security. I've been in this industry for over 20 years and have never been laid off.

Become invaluable

LOL twenty times. No one is invaluable. You are never safe. Your inflated ego will be your downfall. Hope your dream world lasts. Remember, you never see the bullet that kills you.

You are getting too old and making too much money and have become a target. The job has become what a monkey can do. Look around......how many people do you see with 20 yrs.
You are a target and don't know it.

Shire is a mid sized specialty pharma company with decent upside. Here is the breakdown on their divisions:

Behavioral Health/ Neuro-Psych - 350 Reps
This divisions drives most of Shire's revenue. Vyvanse does not go generic till 2023.
- Vyvanse (adult/ ped ADHD)
- Adderall xr 3 (adult ADHD)

GI -100 Reps
Smaller division that has been cut back over the years
- Lialda (Ulcerative colitis)

Rare Disease - 60 Reps
Shire purchased ViroPharma last year and currently promotes 4 drugs in this category. They also have a few things in the pipeline. This is also a pretty profitable segment of Shire.

Ophthalmology - 0 reps
This division is in the pipeline with a couple of drugs coming to maket in the next year. They will be launching a new med for chronic dry eyes and will also promote a drug for a rare condition involving pediatriac blindness.

All mature products that are sold on price not advantage. Shire is circling the drain.

Man, you guys are so immature. Pretty sad if this represents who just bought us. Take a look at the track record of our (Shire)sales force. It's one of the reasons we got bought and sold for $54 billion. You guys may be surprised to see who gets cut first. My money is on the Shire reps (CNS) keeping their jobs. Why would you mess with success?

Man, you guys are so immature. Pretty sad if this represents who just bought us. Take a look at the track record of our (Shire)sales force. It's one of the reasons we got bought and sold for $54 billion. You guys may be surprised to see who gets cut first. My money is on the Shire reps (CNS) keeping their jobs. Why would you mess with success?

That is a no-brainer. Of course Shire reps will be given a golden holding pattern. The bought company usually negotiates a fixed protection period for their employees. This is almost always the case. The buyer must par down first as they are the suitor and must make concessions. That is exactly what happened with Solvay, Koss and other companies bought by other pharma in the past.
There will be a lot of consolidation, but Shire folks are probably protected for at least 1 or more years. The rest of us are sitting in the chair waiting for the switch to be pulled upon approval.