• Tue news: Merck's Keytruda stages comeback in head and neck cancer. GSK, Pfizer RSV vaccine sales fall. Astellas gene therapy bet. Extreme weather —>drug shortages. J&J discontinues bladder cancer drug. See more on our front page

Interview help please

Anonymous

I have 10 years experience w former big pharma company. Was a senior rep and understand the big pharma environment. Have been out of work for 10 months and need to work. Have interview w multiple managers. Does anyone have tips and format info on how the interviews are conducted. I could really use some advice. Thank you.

I have 10 years experience w former big pharma company. Was a senior rep and understand the big pharma environment. Have been out of work for 10 months and need to work. Have interview w multiple managers. Does anyone have tips and format info on how the interviews are conducted. I could really use some advice. Thank you.

Run. You don't want a job here.

Tell me about a time when...

I was in your position, experience and everything.

And I now see that the WORST move I can make is to go back into the pharmaceutical or medical sales field. There is no stability, and it is a terrible environment, one where office politics rules and women and weak men run things.

I would say don't go on the interview and do your research to look for a better industry.

Pfizer is a terrible company to work for. I was there for 4 years, and it was awful.
There is no loyalty anymore with Pfizer.

Your instincts are correct....this industry is finished. The day of 30 year careers in big Pharma was don 10 years ago. You'll probably have a tough time finding a job with the same pay for so little work, but you will certainly find more job security....these days, meaning 5-10 yrs

I found when I left that recruiters, employers, etc. do not highly value pharma experience as they know what we have reduced ourselves into.....caterers and delivery people.

Take the job if it's the only one you can get at this time, and keep looking on Pfizer's dime.
Money's great, almost free car, great benes, lots of eye candy of both sexes.
It's very easy to fool and bullshit the idiot managers; just do your paperwork on time, get your signatures, order samples, and keep the mileage up on your car. You'll only need to give them a show once a month or so, and with the access today, seeing no one, except for a signature is pretty much standard. After my first year(of 11), I had it down to a science..8-5 two days a week, 10-2, two days, and very rarely worked on Fridays. Won four trips, and many other awards; none of my managers were any the wiser....hell they all play golf on Fridays, and have half day "conference calls", or "meetings" on most days. They think they're shitting us!

Good luck to you.

Your instincts are correct....this industry is finished. The day of 30 year careers in big Pharma was don 10 years ago. You'll probably have a tough time finding a job with the same pay for so little work, but you will certainly find more job security....these days, meaning 5-10 yrs

I found when I left that recruiters, employers, etc. do not highly value pharma experience as they know what we have reduced ourselves into.....caterers and delivery people.

Take the job if it's the only one you can get at this time, and keep looking on Pfizer's dime.
Money's great, almost free car, great benes, lots of eye candy of both sexes.
It's very easy to fool and bullshit the idiot managers; just do your paperwork on time, get your signatures, order samples, and keep the mileage up on your car. You'll only need to give them a show once a month or so, and with the access today, seeing no one, except for a signature is pretty much standard. After my first year(of 11), I had it down to a science..8-5 two days a week, 10-2, two days, and very rarely worked on Fridays. Won four trips, and many other awards; none of my managers were any the wiser....hell they all play golf on Fridays, and have half day "conference calls", or "meetings" on most days. They think they're shitting us!

Good luck to you.

So good to see an honest post these days. When people wonder why so-and-so Senior level manager of marketing director is still looking after 18 months, I will point them to this post. The world now knows that we (sales force) are really nothing more than carnival magicians. Sitting in a doc's office for 30 minutes with 2 other sales reps waiting to see a harried doc so we can all get 30 seconds of "detail time" is a sham. And for that we get paid $80-120,000? Scam. Ditto for our R&D shop, which has sucked up 70 BILLION in the past 10 years, and produced diddley squat.