• Thurs news: Moderna targets $1.1B in R&D spending cuts. Gene therapy startup emerges. J&J leads $50M financing for imaging company. Sanofi gets into radioligands. GSK’s mRNA flu vax trial. See more on our front page

Has anyone ever worked for Eli Lilly as a Pharmaceutical sales rep, if so, what was your experience?

I worked here a while ago. One of the worst paying companies in the industry. Lots of manufactured "success stories". People stay because they want the pension and 401k but the fact is you can make 50+% more at other companies which have better 401k match. More money means you can invest in things yourself and not need the pension. Good entry level company to get feet wet if recent college graduate or looking to break into industry.

I had a lot of fun at the launch meetings in Orlando, especially the Actos launch. I'm curious how much chlorine it took to sanitize the pool at the Dolphin Hotel. That resort also has some great balconies for outdoor fun.

Other than that, the job sucks, not as much as a blonde from another district, but it does suck.

Move on and get a trade you can look yourself in the mirror, like in construction, plumber, electrician, etc.

I had a lot of fun at the launch meetings in Orlando, especially the Actos launch. I'm curious how much chlorine it took to sanitize the pool at the Dolphin Hotel. That resort also has some great balconies for outdoor fun.

Other than that, the job sucks, not as much as a blonde from another district, but it does suck.

“Bitter”, eternal party of one, your table is ready..
Move on and get a trade you can look yourself in the mirror, like in construction, plumber, electrician, etc.

Worked in the midwest under Constidine during Cymbalta days. Meetings got crazy lots of hooking up and drugs (coke). He was the worst though and his management team had some pretty inappropriate managers under him. Pay was below average but was a party atmosphere for sure. Some crazy days and nights back then.

Worked in the midwest under Constidine during Cymbalta days. Meetings got crazy lots of hooking up and drugs (coke). He was the worst though and his management team had some pretty inappropriate managers under him. Pay was below average but was a party atmosphere for sure. Some crazy days and nights back then.

Ha I was there and lived it too! Crazy times with crazy people. TC was a certifiable nut job.

Overall - great drugs & great pipeline.

Toxic, toxic environment

Bonus pay is laughable. Hand your check is based off the performance of 10-15 other territories.
Goal setting is bad & they never adjust or take 2 years to adjust.

Many reps stay mad & talk of leaving when they find a good opportunity.

Lots of marketing $ brand positions filled with people in mid 20s & early 30s

Overall - great drugs & great pipeline.

Toxic, toxic environment

Bonus pay is laughable. Hand your check is based off the performance of 10-15 other territories.
Goal setting is bad & they never adjust or take 2 years to adjust.

Many reps stay mad & talk of leaving when they find a good opportunity.

Lots of marketing $ brand positions filled with people in mid 20s & early 30s
Also, those reps that are on the old pension plan stay around forever because they want their pensions to grow. They don’t want to interview with other pharma companies because they feel no one will hire them because they don’t have anything to offer. They are just coasting until retirement.

Also, those reps that are on the old pension plan stay around forever because they want their pensions to grow. They don’t want to interview with other pharma companies because they feel no one will hire them because they don’t have anything to offer. They are just coasting until retirement.

But is the pension worth it? Especially when other companies give 20% of salary in RSU + a 12-15% 401k match + you make 50-70k more on base (most bases w experience 170k+ now) + at least double bonus if not triple (43-70k most bonus plans).

Lilly is a great 1st pharma job but if you have any success or skills it pays big $ to leave

But is the pension worth it? Especially when other companies give 20% of salary in RSU + a 12-15% 401k match + you make 50-70k more on base (most bases w experience 170k+ now) + at least double bonus if not triple (43-70k most bonus plans).

Lilly is a great 1st pharma job but if you have any success or skills it pays big $ to leave

Exactly.
It is a great entry level job.

If you spend more than 3 years as a rep here, you are missing out.

The exception is if you the managerial experience, then you can stay a bit longer.

Regardless, to think you are going to have a long-term career in this industry with one company, is just not smart because you are leaving hundreds of thousands on the table and opportunities to make much more with more upside at these specialty companies that actually value sales performance.

Toxic environment. Woke & politically correct. scarcity based mindset. Passive aggressive
Passive Aggressive! That is very well put.

Most large organizations are passive-aggressive, but Lilly takes the friggin' cake. I have worked at three Fortune 500 companies, and the dozen years at Lilly still blows my mind.

Anytime at corporate someone has a slight difference of opinion, instead of having a face-to-face discussion and solving the problem like adults, out went the obligatory email with everyone and their grandmother copied. Beyond pathetic. Somehow, people in Central Indiana reward that behavior. For shame...for shame.

Lilly is one of the best of the bigger pharma companies.

Portfolio and pipeline are second to nobody else. That means stock appreciation, corporate profit, and job stability with advancement opportunities. Most of other big pharma and biotech will continue contracting via layoffs.

Regarding woke culture and DEI it exists here at Lilly like it does everywhere now.

Compensation is improving, last year’s salary adjustment gave the average representative a 10% bump. You can’t discount the pension nor the equity performers receive with stock options.

Lilly is one of the best of the bigger pharma companies.

Portfolio and pipeline are second to nobody else. That means stock appreciation, corporate profit, and job stability with advancement opportunities. Most of other big pharma and biotech will continue contracting via layoffs.

Regarding woke culture and DEI it exists here at Lilly like it does everywhere now.

Compensation is improving, last year’s salary adjustment gave the average representative a 10% bump. You can’t discount the pension nor the equity performers receive with stock options.
Why would the pension be attractive to new employees? You have to work until you’re 65 to get any value in return? The old pension system, yes, was attractive. I have friends who retired in their early to mid 50s and have Lilly healthcare until medicare. Save as much as you can in your 401K.