• Tue news: 23andMe CEO no longer open to takeover. mRNA vaccines may boost cancer immunotherapy. BMS beats $6.4B lawsuit. CVS Health layoffs and potential breakup. JNJ abandoning proposed 340b plan. See more on our front page

Do u find it frustrating, trying to explain this job to non-pharma friends?

Anonymous

With the Merck ship taking on water, there are many conversations going on with
family, friends, etc., about having to either quit Merck due to stress, being pushed out,
handraising, trying to get a package out, and most importantly, having to try and get a new
job in this economy...

I find it frustrating when trying to talk to friends about my situation, cuz they just say,
"Well, you have nothing to worry about - you can always just get another sales job."

When I try to explain that detailing in Big Pharma is its own, fake, phony little isolated world, and that no one will hire drug reps with more than 2-3 years of experience, they look shocked...they can't conceive of this not being a sales job, and people in other industries not wanting to touch pharma reps...

It gets very frustrating to try and explain that the job is a farce to people that dont work in pharma...

How do y'all handle it?? It is indeed a very scary time for those of us who gave our lives
to Big Pharma, only to be crapped out Mother Merck's a-hole...

<

alot of people do know what we do.. they saw us come into waiting room, hand over our little computer, read a magazine, 20 minutes later, get back little computer, leave little boxes and then leave. unfortunately, the people that do matter, recruiters and other hiring managers outside pharma have learned about the typical rep. job..try explaining our bonus pay to someone outside of pharma and it will take them 20 minutes to try and figure it out..(real sales is based on PROFIT and real numbers and money)...pharma does give you plenty of skills and training but they will be tested most when looking for new job

Biggest problem is a career has evolved into a just a job and a shaky one at that. A career is now a luxury....If you're 50 or older you're in a tough place. Too young not to work....but considered too old to be a "new hire" by many companies. 50s have always been the "prime age" for reaching professional development. You finally have all the work, life and professional skills.....sad, but it doesnt seem to matter anymore.

What is the frustrating part? Getting them to believe that you have the easiest sounding job in the world and get paid big for it with great benefits and a company car? Sure you are not the most marketable candidate in the pool for a new job right now but hang in there and something will come your way. If you think about it, all the complaining everyone does about this job is senseless. It is actually a great job with great pay. Stick with it if you can because the alternative is not so great, trust me. I was let go a few years ago and it aint easy out here trying to get by outside of pharma.

You need to remember that you have dealt with very challenging and educated customers - doctors, pharmacists, administrators, etc. You have the ability to comprehend and convey complex information. You are primarily selling an intangible product. Yes, you may provide samples, but a sell does not occur until the physician writes the script. You combine all of these skills and you are a valuable commodity. Now get out there and sell yourself!

Focus on yourself and your future and the next move. Why waste time explaining the job to others? You want their understanding? Approval? Hugs and kisses?

Save your mean-spirited sarcasm u jerk!!

During the course of networking, you inevitably have to get into the conversation about explaining the job to others...no one is looking for hugs or approval...

just trying to re-invent a career after being swindled by a corrupt pharma company....

Screw you...And by the way, there will be no next move, when you are over 50 and
gave your life to pharma...you have to basically buy your next job...(Quiznos, Subway, etc)

During the course of networking, you inevitably have to get into the conversation about explaining the job to others...no one is looking for hugs or approval...

just trying to re-invent a career after being swindled by a corrupt pharma company....

Screw you...And by the way, there will be no next move, when you are over 50 and
gave your life to pharma...you have to basically buy your next job...(Quiznos, Subway, etc)

Calm down, look at it this way if you don't actually work when you are at work how can you expect a Company to be interestred in your set of job skills?

Who told you to spend your whole career in pharma? Sales I presume...who else would be so po'ed about what's happening. Think of it this way...if you can sell in pharma you can sell with a another sales environment......do you bring customers value....bring the same to medical equipment, computers, software, medical services.....

Salespeople (who can make quotas) are always in demand.....or if you are really in some big money buy a franchise and spread the mayo on the chicken!

What is the frustrating part? Getting them to believe that you have the easiest sounding job in the world and get paid big for it with great benefits and a company car? Sure you are not the most marketable candidate in the pool for a new job right now but hang in there and something will come your way. If you think about it, all the complaining everyone does about this job is senseless. It is actually a great job with great pay. Stick with it if you can because the alternative is not so great, trust me. I was let go a few years ago and it aint easy out here trying to get by outside of pharma.

tAbsolutely valid statement.

You need to remember that you have dealt with very challenging and educated customers - doctors, pharmacists, administrators, etc. You have the ability to comprehend and convey complex information. You are primarily selling an intangible product. Yes, you may provide samples, but a sell does not occur until the physician writes the script. You combine all of these skills and you are a valuable commodity. Now get out there and sell yourself!

You are a complete dolt.

No need to be that mean. My intention was to focus on what are controllable.

I understand your challenges. We all joined Merck willingly. We have researched Merck and the industry and decided to become a rep voluntarily. We can say Merck has gone insane. As crazy as Merck is, the pay is not terrible. The benefits are decent. Being swindled sounds like you were deceived into joining Merck as an indentured servant. I am over 50 and retired from Merck. The transition was not pretty but it is doable. The tough part is we were so used to do so little for a nice paycheck. I am not downplaying the craziness of the manager nor Merck itself.