• Tue news: 23andMe CEO no longer open to takeover. mRNA vaccines may boost cancer immunotherapy. BMS beats $6.4B lawsuit. CVS Health layoffs and potential breakup. JNJ abandoning proposed 340b plan. See more on our front page

Departures HCV

So I guess it's too late to try and get back into Humira?
I will take all of the advice for the NSM.

I really can't fault management all along the entire Abbvie organizational chart. Their hands are tied, MHC's hands are tied. Our hands are tied. You can't "sell" drugs anymore.

Do you really believe you can change a doctor's prescribing habits? The HCP is going to Rx what they feel is best for their patient and that decision is not influenced in any way by what a rep tells the HCP.

The payers dictate drug utilization and they've taken a lot of prescribing decision making power away from HCP's.

If you have 2 drugs that are clinically equivalent, then it comes down to cost. The minutia of pill burden, rtv, rbv are just more nails in the VK coffin. The payers hold the cards, not Abbvie. Gilead just seems to step in poop all the time. But Abbvie had a good run with Humira.

Let's see, Humira makes up roughly 2/3 of total sales for Abbvie and all of the rest of the drugs in abbvie's portfolio make up the other 1/3. Humira will get eaten away by bio-similar over time. Kaletra is breathing it's last breath. The rest, I know nothing about but they are not going to prop up the company when Humira bites the dust.

This is called ye olde patent cliff. VK was supposed to be a bridge between the patent cliff and abbvie's onc pipeline. Hoping all those onc drugs were going to reinvent Abbvie.

Problem is, onc drugs usually get approved for very small indications initially and for small populations and then the companies do tons more studies to show efficacy/safety in various other tumor types in order to expand the product's utilization. But that takes a long time, a lot of money and the failure rate is very very high. You know, high risk, high reward - if it pays off.

Since, Abbvie has zero experience in the oncology market, they won't be hiring a bunch of Abbvie reps to sell their oncology products. They are going to co-promote with companies like Genentech and look to higher very small numbers of AE's with Oncology experience and existing relationships with oncologists in their respective geographies.

Oncology is not for the faint of heart. The science is extremely complex and if you think the payer system is a nightmare for HCV drugs, you ain't seen noth'n. Plus Oncologists are the nastiest pricks you can imagine.

They hate reps, there is even less access than HCV, the waiting rooms are full of very ill and dying patients. The oncology nurses are as tough and nasty as drill sergeants, etc. Its a very stressful, tense and difficult environment to sell in.

Worse, than selling AZT and 3TC when they were the only drugs available during the AIDS epidemic.

Abbvie had no choice but to put VK on the market in its current formulation. Better to take a chance to break even on the cost of developing and marketing the regimen than to wait until it had the perfect 1 pill regimen. What with no rbv and rtv?

By that time, a lot of the patients will already have been treated and cured so there goes a significant portion of the market. Now you have your perfect 1 pill and maybe it's indicated for multiple genotypes, but a significant number of patients have already been cured by Harvoni or whatever else comes out before VK 1 pill qd. So, would that be better? Don't know, way above my pay grade.

Tough business decisions. Very tough. And stop whining. The grass is not greener on the other side. The whole pharma selling model is an obsolete failure and has been for years now. That's why there are tens of thousands less reps today than 5-10 years ago.

We are going the way of the dodo bird. I'm surprised we've lasted this long. The pharma industry is simply refusing to throw in the towel completely on the traditional sales and marketing model for drug promotion even though it is an abject failure. That's because old habits die hard and there isn't really any viable alternative - yet...

I really can't fault management all along the entire Abbvie organizational chart. Their hands are tied, MHC's hands are tied. Our hands are tied. You can't "sell" drugs anymore.

Do you really believe you can change a doctor's prescribing habits? The HCP is going to Rx what they feel is best for their patient and that decision is not influenced in any way by what a rep tells the HCP.

The payers dictate drug utilization and they've taken a lot of prescribing decision making power away from HCP's.

If you have 2 drugs that are clinically equivalent, then it comes down to cost. The minutia of pill burden, rtv, rbv are just more nails in the VK coffin. The payers hold the cards, not Abbvie. Gilead just seems to step in poop all the time. But Abbvie had a good run with Humira.

Let's see, Humira makes up roughly 2/3 of total sales for Abbvie and all of the rest of the drugs in abbvie's portfolio make up the other 1/3. Humira will get eaten away by bio-similar over time. Kaletra is breathing it's last breath. The rest, I know nothing about but they are not going to prop up the company when Humira bites the dust.

This is called ye olde patent cliff. VK was supposed to be a bridge between the patent cliff and abbvie's onc pipeline. Hoping all those onc drugs were going to reinvent Abbvie.

Problem is, onc drugs usually get approved for very small indications initially and for small populations and then the companies do tons more studies to show efficacy/safety in various other tumor types in order to expand the product's utilization. But that takes a long time, a lot of money and the failure rate is very very high. You know, high risk, high reward - if it pays off.

Since, Abbvie has zero experience in the oncology market, they won't be hiring a bunch of Abbvie reps to sell their oncology products. They are going to co-promote with companies like Genentech and look to higher very small numbers of AE's with Oncology experience and existing relationships with oncologists in their respective geographies.

Oncology is not for the faint of heart. The science is extremely complex and if you think the payer system is a nightmare for HCV drugs, you ain't seen noth'n. Plus Oncologists are the nastiest pricks you can imagine.

They hate reps, there is even less access than HCV, the waiting rooms are full of very ill and dying patients. The oncology nurses are as tough and nasty as drill sergeants, etc. Its a very stressful, tense and difficult environment to sell in.

Worse, than selling AZT and 3TC when they were the only drugs available during the AIDS epidemic.

Abbvie had no choice but to put VK on the market in its current formulation. Better to take a chance to break even on the cost of developing and marketing the regimen than to wait until it had the perfect 1 pill regimen. What with no rbv and rtv?

By that time, a lot of the patients will already have been treated and cured so there goes a significant portion of the market. Now you have your perfect 1 pill and maybe it's indicated for multiple genotypes, but a significant number of patients have already been cured by Harvoni or whatever else comes out before VK 1 pill qd. So, would that be better? Don't know, way above my pay grade.

Tough business decisions. Very tough. And stop whining. The grass is not greener on the other side. The whole pharma selling model is an obsolete failure and has been for years now. That's why there are tens of thousands less reps today than 5-10 years ago.

We are going the way of the dodo bird. I'm surprised we've lasted this long. The pharma industry is simply refusing to throw in the towel completely on the traditional sales and marketing model for drug promotion even though it is an abject failure. That's because old habits die hard and there isn't really any viable alternative - yet...

You talk a lot without saying anything. I doubt you were any good at oncology sales.

Intercept Pharma looks like a real opportunity. Here are the credentials of their key commercial person - - - 10X better than our fools! Lisa Bright has served as our chief commercial and corporate affairs officer since 2015. Ms. Bright joined Intercept in 2014 from Gilead Sciences where her leadership of the European launch of Sovaldi for the treatment of chronic hepatitis C contributed to the most successful product launch in pharmaceutical history. Prior to joining Intercept, Ms. Bright held positions of increasing responsibility at Gilead Sciences, including Vice President, Northern Europe, and most recently Vice President, Head of Sovaldi Launch Planning for Europe, Asia, Middle East and Australasia and Vice President, Head Government Affairs for Europe, Middle East and Australasia. Prior to Gilead, she held a range of senior leadership positions over a 10-year tenure at GSK, including Vice President & Managing Director of GSK's New Zealand operations and Vice President and Head of Sales, UK.

Spot on about Onc!!!

Intercept Pharma looks like a real opportunity. Here are the credentials of their key commercial person - - - 10X better than our fools! Lisa Bright has served as our chief commercial and corporate affairs officer since 2015. Ms. Bright joined Intercept in 2014 from Gilead Sciences where her leadership of the European launch of Sovaldi for the treatment of chronic hepatitis C contributed to the most successful product launch in pharmaceutical history. Prior to joining Intercept, Ms. Bright held positions of increasing responsibility at Gilead Sciences, including Vice President, Northern Europe, and most recently Vice President, Head of Sovaldi Launch Planning for Europe, Asia, Middle East and Australasia and Vice President, Head Government Affairs for Europe, Middle East and Australasia. Prior to Gilead, she held a range of senior leadership positions over a 10-year tenure at GSK, including Vice President & Managing Director of GSK's New Zealand operations and Vice President and Head of Sales, UK.

You don't need lots of fancy degrees to fill a resume and be successful.

You are right! Remember tho... Bring your best bobble head with you to the NSM. Don't share this out loud with anyone! Know that at the NSM there will be eyes and ears everywhere looking and listening to any negative words spoken or a roll of the eyes. Most of us are unhappy, but fake it until you have another opportunity because they'll be looking for people to get rid of at this upcoming meeting. Know that!!!

Screw that. I have more pride then to be one of their lame bobbing heads. They are putting the screws to us already and will be initially pipping at will followed by structured layoffs by team that is handled by an independent 3rd party.'
The die has been cast, we are screwed and large numbers of us will be thrown out one way or another. It is out of our hands and my pride will remain intact. Go ahead and ass kiss and play along and see where it gets you.....out the door in many cases anyway.

With all of the negative posts I want to post something positive. We call on the most loyal and caring physicians in pharmaceuticals. They want to help not only their patients but Abbvie as well. A lot is out of their control bc of insurance issues. No matter how bad things get, the patient is going to receive a regimen that is going to cure them and save their life. It's amazing to be a part of how far HCV treatments have come. The cure rates are unbelievable and bc there is no interferon, I don't have doctors running out of our appointments bc their patient tried to commit suicide. Bottoms line, both regimens CURE patients. That's something to be proud of. That's our job. To save lives and that is what we are doing. One patient at a time.

With all of the negative posts I want to post something positive. We call on the most loyal and caring physicians in pharmaceuticals. They want to help not only their patients but Abbvie as well. A lot is out of their control bc of insurance issues. No matter how bad things get, the patient is going to receive a regimen that is going to cure them and save their life. It's amazing to be a part of how far HCV treatments have come. The cure rates are unbelievable and bc there is no interferon, I don't have doctors running out of our appointments bc their patient tried to commit suicide. Bottoms line, both regimens CURE patients. That's something to be proud of. That's our job. To save lives and that is what we are doing. One patient at a time.
Well, it is supposed to all be about the patient, isn't it. Hep-C is no joke.

OMG! You are a corporate arse licker!

"bc there is no interferon, I don't have doctors running out of our appointments bc their patient tried to commit suicide"

Wow our training department really misled you rookie.

"bc there is no interferon, I don't have doctors running out of our appointments bc their patient tried to commit suicide"

Wow our training department really misled you rookie.

Really? I was in an office when interferon was still in the regimen and a doctor had to leave the lunch because a patient committed suicide from the interferon. Obviously you're the rookie if you weren't around in those days.