• Mon news: Takeda layoffs. Novo’s semaglutide cardiovascular win. Roche’s Vabysmo in DME. Gilead/Merck HIV combo. Supernus quick-acting depression med. See more on our front page

Combining primary care and diabetes

Anonymous

Has anyone else heard this? I'm assuming this will happen around the time Crestor goes generic. Either end of 2015, Q1, or Q2 of next year. I imagine there will be significant duplications. I'm not one to scream the sky is falling, but this seems pretty obvious something has got to give. We will have too many people and not enough drugs. Does anyone know anything? Any predictions? Also, with the new diabetes structure being an abysmal failure I'm sure the high ups are eager to change things around again. This would be the perfect time for another realignment....

Has anyone else heard this? I'm assuming this will happen around the time Crestor goes generic. Either end of 2015, Q1, or Q2 of next year. I imagine there will be significant duplications. I'm not one to scream the sky is falling, but this seems pretty obvious something has got to give. We will have too many people and not enough drugs. Does anyone know anything? Any predictions? Also, with the new diabetes structure being an abysmal failure I'm sure the high ups are eager to change things around again. This would be the perfect time for another realignment....

Frankly surprised it didn't just get announced (with appropriated WARN notice) on June 30th. I've certainly got no inside info, but they have set us up to make that move at some point in the future. Seems to me that sooner would be better than later.

"I'm sure the high ups are eager to change things around again" Really? really? I don't think they'll fess up to the fact that they failed miserably. That would admit total and complete failure. They'll just blame the reps.

Me like so many district managers in this company really question the decisions of senior managers. What you are saying makes good business sense. Therefore it will not happen. With tongue in cheek I see them putting on another contract sales force to sell Crestor AFTER it goes generic. Hey reach and frequency you know. Oh they will demand nine sales calls a day which the contract force will deliver without a problem. Of course when they do not stem the tide of generics it will be the fault of the sales department not the leadership team that develop this idea.

We all know we are an over bloated sales force running into each other trying to stay busy. That is the few of us that still work somewhat full days. The rest of the sales forces is so beat and demotivated they work two or three hours on a good day. As a field manager I know that at least 75% of the calls reported by my team are bullshit. You know what? I just don't care. Give me the metrics and leave alone and I'll leave you alone.

Me like so many district managers in this company really question the decisions of senior managers. What you are saying makes good business sense. Therefore it will not happen. With tongue in cheek I see them putting on another contract sales force to sell Crestor AFTER it goes generic. Hey reach and frequency you know. Oh they will demand nine sales calls a day which the contract force will deliver without a problem. Of course when they do not stem the tide of generics it will be the fault of the sales department not the leadership team that develop this idea.

We all know we are an over bloated sales force running into each other trying to stay busy. That is the few of us that still work somewhat full days. The rest of the sales forces is so beat and demotivated they work two or three hours on a good day. As a field manager I know that at least 75% of the calls reported by my team are bullshit. You know what? I just don't care. Give me the metrics and leave alone and I'll leave you alone.

The 5 year strategy is to replace the primary care sales force entirely with direct marketing via technological advancements and contract sales. But the people who built the plan won't be here in 5 years so maybe things will work out for us.

Nope, you are correct. In 5 years most hospitals will have bought most clinics and there will be no access for reps in the future outside of Oncology, Vaccines, etc. Clinics will be shut down and we are watching now and that will be that. Anyone who has been doing this for a while knows this is the truth, unless you have a really rural territory, you will be locked out as many are now.

Nope, you are correct. In 5 years most hospitals will have bought most clinics and there will be no access for reps in the future outside of Oncology, Vaccines, etc. Clinics will be shut down and we are watching now and that will be that. Anyone who has been doing this for a while knows this is the truth, unless you have a really rural territory, you will be locked out as many are now.

Yeah, because we all know how good the access is in oncology offices is right now!

The 5 year strategy is to replace the primary care sales force entirely with direct marketing via technological advancements and contract sales. But the people who built the plan won't be here in 5 years so maybe things will work out for us.

5 year strategy???? AZ doesn't have a 5 month strategy! Pascal has ruined this company. If it were not for the dividend AZ pays, the stock would be in the $40's. We are so top heavy in reps and managers, it's ridiculous. Some day, one of their many consultants, will come up with a workable plan that will cut the salesforce by greater than 50%. It needs to be done, but nobody wants to admit it.

The framework for reducing the sales force is already in play. Haven't you been paying attention. First to go are the more tenured with legacy pension costs. Next will be more senior sales leaders and then they will work their way down to the PSSs. It has already started but it is less expensive to do this in small steps. It is all about holding down costs of reducing the force and covering legal bases.

Would you like a list of those already forced out. Of course they are going after legacy pension people. They are by far the most expensive employees in the company.

You are absolutely correct.

I talked with a man about 5 years ago who was assigned to a special project with GSK to determine how much their sales force could be cut without disrupting sales. You are probably not surprised to hear that they recommended a 90% reduction. Obviously, GSK has not yet cut 90%, but don't be surprised to see cuts like this across big pharma soon.

I write this not to discourage you, but to encourage you to get off your butt and find another career.

You are absolutely correct.

I talked with a man about 5 years ago who was assigned to a special project with GSK to determine how much their sales force could be cut without disrupting sales. You are probably not surprised to hear that they recommended a 90% reduction. Obviously, GSK has not yet cut 90%, but don't be surprised to see cuts like this across big pharma soon.

I write this not to discourage you, but to encourage you to get off your butt and find another career.

Yawn....been hearing this for over 20 years now. Come up with some new material to entertain us.

Yawn....been hearing this for over 20 years now. Come up with some new material to entertain us.

I have only been doing this for two years and start feeling sick around noon every Sunday realizing that I have to go out a fake another day of work. How in the fuck did you do it for over 20 years? I would slit my wrists if I thought I would have to do this for another 18 years. You have to be either the most boring person on the planet or someone who will trade their self respect for a pay check.

Just guessing, but you must work in managed markets. Those are about the only people left who have been here and would spend that much time on CP. There isn't enough dynamite to blast those leeches out of AZ. Worthless, clueless, and with absolutely no moral character.
I bet I am right that this person is an account director.

I have only been doing this for two years and start feeling sick around noon every Sunday realizing that I have to go out a fake another day of work. How in the fuck did you do it for over 20 years? I would slit my wrists if I thought I would have to do this for another 18 years. You have to be either the most boring person on the planet or someone who will trade their self respect for a pay check.

I understand how you feel.

I'm not the one who posted the ridiculous "Yawn" post, but have been around since 1990 in the sales force. I can't wait until retirement is here. Not far off. Hope I don't slit my wrists before then.

Yawn.....