• Fri news: Gilead withdraws bladder cancer drug. Amgen and Intercept PDUFA date pushback. CVS replaces CEO. Supernus depression trial. AbbVie Parkinson’s approval. See more on our front page

Best and Infamous memories as a rep

I had similar experiences as well. They seem crazy in retrospect. What was most rewarding was working for AZ and a medical device company on the side for several years. To train for the medical device company I took a weeks vacation. I would go in the OR in the early morning and work my small territory from 10 or 11 to 5. My numbers for both jobs were great and so was the money. That was the first of many side jobs.

Me too! My most hilarious day when when I was working selling heart valves for the major supplier to my hospital on the side and and AZ CV products. During the procedure I was called in on to advise the heart surgeon totally went blank and handed me his scalpel. The nurses were so in awe after the 10 hour operation they offered to scrub me down! And these operating room nurses were all 19 years old with bodies like cheerleaders! I guess this doctor knew how to pick nurses a lot better than he knew how to operate.

I struggled a little but now it is standard operating procedure to insert heart valves in the innovative way I decided in the moment -- cut the atria. They had been cutting the ventricle, but it didn't make sense to me so I thought outside of the box. It was great.