Base salary

fact nubu here

I was making 140 K elsewhere and my DM had to fight to get me 130 K. I came in at 130 and started at Act 2. If you came in less than 130k you're act 1 starting out.

Typically they started most Nubu new hires at about 120. Some got 125, but again, they were ACT 2. You couldn't get Act 2 and start at 130 unless you had proof you were making more than 130.

They will negotiate but not much. Amgen pays a lot lower than most biotech. I call b.s. on the person getting 4% increase here. Its was 1 to 3% for the most part this year. The stock is not worth much

meant to say if you got 125 you still were act 1 for the most part. You had to be at that 130 to get act 2

Amgen prides itself on the extras: great pipeline, best 401k match in the industry, etc. that way you don’t focus on the low pay for key business units. Nothing to see here folks, nothing to see.

There are other companies that offer great 401k as well, you've just been drinking the kolaid so long you didn't realize it there is a whole other life outside Amgen. You just need to loosen up those handcuffs to find out.

There are other companies that offer great 401k as well, you've just been drinking the kolaid so long you didn't realize it there is a whole other life outside Amgen. You just need to loosen up those handcuffs to find out.

You are right. My best friend works for a company in Pharma that gives 10% match. Salaries are higher too.

Amgen offers a great 401 k but there are others that do too. Amgen's salaries are lower than most other companies--especially biotech. Their raises are the lowest.

$250K is embarrassingly low for a DM? Boy, you guys have a high opinion of your worth.

$250k for a frontline manager is middle of the road at good oncology biotechs. Anything less than $230 is very low unless you are new and just got promoted to the job. Than you get about a 15%
in both base and bonus. Very few managers at Amgen are hitting $250k. Typically managers are paid around 25%-30% more than their highest paid rep. I don’t think anyone has a high opinion of one’s self, it’s merely the going rate.

You are right. My best friend works for a company in Pharma that gives 10% match. Salaries are higher too.

Amgen offers a great 401 k but there are others that do too. Amgen's salaries are lower than most other companies--especially biotech. Their raises are the lowest.

4th of July shutdown

That is it. Oddly enough the delta between the Amgen 401k plan and a “normal” plan isn’t that wide.

While the shutdown is nice other companies offer more vacation days, personal days and/or they do not closely manage vacation days. Also most companies give two days for the 4th so it really only gets you three extra days. Nice for sure but not all that meaningful.

$250k for a frontline manager is middle of the road at good oncology biotechs. Anything less than $230 is very low unless you are new and just got promoted to the job. Than you get about a 15%
in both base and bonus. Very few managers at Amgen are hitting $250k. Typically managers are paid around 25%-30% more than their highest paid rep. I don’t think anyone has a high opinion of one’s self, it’s merely the going rate.
Managers are not worth that. Sorry.... but it's true if you've got a good team in place. If this is really the going rate then they need to cut DM jobs in half and give them bigger teams to manage.

Managers are not worth that. Sorry.... but it's true if you've got a good team in place. If this is really the going rate then they need to cut DM jobs in half and give them bigger teams to manage.

Sure, they can do that, and the good managers will leave, and the bad ones who can’t will stay. What positions are ‘worth’ is whatever companies are willing to pay for them. 1L managers at good bio onc companies are making $250K to $275K+easy plus $80k at plan, car allowance and lots of RSU and Options.

It’s not uncommon for managers to make $350k to $500K a year in total comp at these types of companies.

Unfortunately, Amgen doesn’t pay that well so most of our front line managers in the OBU are not making $250k. Most are closer to the $185K to $215K range depending on years of experience.

Maybe this will make all the cry babies feel better. I work for another large pharma co...20years. My base is by 109-111k. Quit complaining and consider yourselves lucky. I even tried for a white,blue position with you guys. But evidently experience means nothing to your leadership.

Maybe this will make all the cry babies feel better. I work for another large pharma co...20years. My base is by 109-111k. Quit complaining and consider yourselves lucky. I even tried for a white,blue position with you guys. But evidently experience means nothing to your leadership.

Your base is only $111k with 20 years experience? If that is true your “experience” must suck and is not needed or wanted here. All kidding aside are you in primary care?

4th of July shutdown

That is it. Oddly enough the delta between the Amgen 401k plan and a “normal” plan isn’t that wide.

While the shutdown is nice other companies offer more vacation days, personal days and/or they do not closely manage vacation days. Also most companies give two days for the 4th so it really only gets you three extra days. Nice for sure but not all that meaningful.

Exactly. We don't get that much more time off if any. Most companies offer Christmas shutdown. We get 3 extra days over the 4th which is nice, but they are taking it away this year. The raises are worse than most and the base pay, for the most part, is lower here. Raises...laughable

Can't use the stock unless you stay here forever and you are always 3 or 5 years in arrears.