Would you identify as having a disability on a job application?

Anonymous

I've been filling out job applications on line and I am wondering about the section where they ask you to "voluntarily declare" any of the assorted disabilities you may have. My first reaction is that it's really none of their business and I always thought it was probably a kiss of death to put anything down in that section. I assumed my application would be filed quickly under the "do not hire" list. But lately I am starting to wonder. Is there some sort of quota a company has to meet and would a disability actually HELP my chances of getting an interview? I am a recently diagnosed diabetic, which is listed as one of the classified "disabilities". I don't see it as that though. I just have to watch my diet, take my meds, and I am good to go. That's why I wasn't declaring it. But should I? If I helps m get the job....why not? Anyone have any thoughts if it puts me on a short list that they have to offer an interview to? I'll gladly step up and I press the heck out of them if I can only get in front of them. How would you fill out that section?

<

I've been filling out job applications on line and I am wondering about the section where they ask you to "voluntarily declare" any of the assorted disabilities you may have. My first reaction is that it's really none of their business and I always thought it was probably a kiss of death to put anything down in that section. I assumed my application would be filed quickly under the "do not hire" list. But lately I am starting to wonder. Is there some sort of quota a company has to meet and would a disability actually HELP my chances of getting an interview? I am a recently diagnosed diabetic, which is listed as one of the classified "disabilities". I don't see it as that though. I just have to watch my diet, take my meds, and I am good to go. That's why I wasn't declaring it. But should I? If I helps m get the job....why not? Anyone have any thoughts if it puts me on a short list that they have to offer an interview to? I'll gladly step up and I press the heck out of them if I can only get in front of them. How would you fill out that section?

Anyone?

In this case, I think it sends up a red flag as why they shouldn't hire you. It suggests a poor health outlook...and if you aren't taking care of yourself, how could you take care of the job? I would suggest doing the "choose not to answer", but even that may cause a red flag. I don't agree that it would ever give you an advantage of getting the interview.

The question is a double-edged sword. On one hand, if you have a serious health issue where you might need their STD or LTD in the near future and you do NOT disclose something that has been going on, you could be denied or fired. On the other hand, disclose it and you may not get the job. Pretty easy for then to say they found a better candidate. I would not disclose it unless you have an obvious handicap such as missing a limp, diabetes or MS. I have depression that comes and goes and I will be damned if that is anyone's business but my own. I see no purpose in disclosing since I do not need special accommodations. If you read some of the fine print on that page, it says where you need special accommodations now or in the future.

The question is a double-edged sword. On one hand, if you have a serious health issue where you might need their STD or LTD in the near future and you do NOT disclose something that has been going on, you could be denied or fired. On the other hand, disclose it and you may not get the job. Pretty easy for then to say they found a better candidate. I would not disclose it unless you have an obvious handicap such as missing a limp, diabetes or MS. I have depression that comes and goes and I will be damned if that is anyone's business but my own. I see no purpose in disclosing since I do not need special accommodations. If you read some of the fine print on that page, it says where you need special accommodations now or in the future.

I agree with this post. If the disclosures are truly voluntary, I would claim no disability and claim an accidental click if ever called out on it. Choosing not to answer is just a red flag for troublesome employee and will not be considered.