Why managers do so many field days

Anonymous

Answers: Nothing else to do
It's direction coming from the RBD or the VP'S.
Manager is a micro-manager(this sucks)
Manager has no trust because they used to be a rep and when they were a rep they cut days short, slacked off and think that if they did this then all other reps are doing this.

Question: What other sales industry has managers spending so many days in the field with reps to make sure they can speak to a customer and check-up on the rep?

Answer: None.

<

The company standard is 75 field days this year for DBMs, there are asshole RBDs that always want more. I am a DBM and I don't sell anything, I just slow my reps down. Face the facts. Most of my DBM associates think thet actually do something to help sell.

The company standard is 75 field days this year for DBMs, there are asshole RBDs that always want more. I am a DBM and I don't sell anything, I just slow my reps down. Face the facts. Most of my DBM associates think thet actually do something to help sell.

It isn't limited to the newbies either! Some actually want us to believe they bring value when it is really all about the intimidation. Great leaders, aren't they?

Intimidation and bully management tactics are only used by weak people, the entire company is moving in that direction. Get used to it or leave. I'm leaving.

Some managers are spending TWO days a MONTH with even seasoned reps! It's ludicrous, selfish, micro-managing at its best, and de-motivating. Fact is when you have an RBD who micros, it forces those under them to do same. I hate it when managers pry into trivial issues, make silly recommendations, and waste my time. I am a veteran rep, efficient and capable to self manage. That doesnt even factor in, they don't trust the sales force.

Some managers are spending TWO days a MONTH with even seasoned reps! It's ludicrous, selfish, micro-managing at its best, and de-motivating. Fact is when you have an RBD who micros, it forces those under them to do same. I hate it when managers pry into trivial issues, make silly recommendations, and waste my time. I am a veteran rep, efficient and capable to self manage. That doesnt even factor in, they don't trust the sales force.

TRUST!? Send me what you're smoking, it must be some powerful shit!

oh yeah share a peking pizza with a manager named chu

More offices are shutting the doors to manager visits. Proof that managers have a negative impact on the sales process. When will this industry ever understand that reps must have real dialogue with their customers not a synthetic sales call with a manager standing next to you checking boxes.

You are right. Ride alongs are useless and hinder the sales process. I always hated the after call discussion about what i should have said . Sales are about relationships. Always was and always will be.
Pity the people in other jobs that have to work with their manager every day

Actually, the more seasoned the rep, the more anal and micro DBMs tend to become. They figure out that these reps know what will and won't fly with any particular provider, have developed a trust with the providers, and are not going to try to pull the slick, Madison Avenue sales approach on the provider.

These DBMs don't care about such things; they just know they have to be able to put in the field contact that the rep did the right opening, WIIFM, A to B shifts, close, etc. So much time is wasted trying to satisfy the DBM on all this minutia, it's hard to make more than 5 calls in a day.

TWO ride alongs a month has been the minimum in NSS for years. And some DBMs have only 7 reps to manage, which is absurd.

What I hated the most--some young twit with mousse in his hair and 4 years experience under his belt trying to tell me how to make a sales call after I had been doing it for 20 years.

What I hated the most--some young twit with mousse in his hair and 4 years experience under his belt trying to tell me how to make a sales call after I had been doing it for 20 years.

BMS loves to promote twits to the DBM role. They are puppets and will do whatever they are told- they don't have brains to think for themselves. Oncology has more and more of them all the time.

I call bullshit that you are a DBM but, if you are, you are part of the cause of the downfall of pharma with your shitty attitude about "not selling anything". Most likely an office stooge like many of your colleagues who put their 12-18 months as AMRO and/or 2+ years in Plainsboro and then was inserted into a position for which you are neither competent or qualified, in a geography which you have no clue how to run. It wasn't that long ago that DBMs actually were actually successful former salespeople who came from within at least 500 miles of their territory and who still continued to work their accounts -- whether they be group practices, hospitals, rural clinics, state Medicaid boards, GPOs, etc. -- with AND without their reps, actually helping move the business for the team instead of getting in the way. They let their good reps, young and old, run with the ball but also mentored their struggling reps by imparting some actual useful pearls of wisdom instead of just regurgitating their RBDs semen. They didn't give two good fucks about catch phrases or call notes, and the few ride-along days you had were either "attaboy" days, "let's go make business" days, or "you're fucking up and if you don't get your shit straight you're going on a letter of concern" days. These days, the newer DBMs are just a bunch of non family-oriented fucktards who were willing or able to move to regional or home office and whose sole interest is following the will & whim of their even more retarded RBDs who followed the same career path. The vast majority of the good DBMs and reps have been run off (oops, I mean right-sized) or worn down to a non-productive shell of their former selves, their only goal being surviving this hell until they can retire because they didn't realize how fucked up the game had become until they were in their 50's. If you're a DBM and you're not willing to at least TRY to keep selling, then your only goal in life should be to shield your team from ridiculous non-productive work by lying to your RBD, hand out award points, approve expense reports, win the Pinnacle lottery every few years, collect your overpaid salary, and enjoy your long, slow decline into mediocrity.