Thoughts on Genentech home office?

anonymous

I’ve been in the field for a long time and it’s been unstable to say the least. I know there’s been a lot of change at the home office as well, but it does seem a little more stable so I’ve been thinking about making a move when an opportunity opens up. I know a lot of field reps have gone to the commercial training department, but I haven’t heard great things about the group. Would love to hear some candid feedback about that group or other groups at the home office to see if a move would even be worth it.

<

I’ve been in the field for a long time and it’s been unstable to say the least. I know there’s been a lot of change at the home office as well, but it does seem a little more stable so I’ve been thinking about making a move when an opportunity opens up. I know a lot of field reps have gone to the commercial training department, but I haven’t heard great things about the group. Would love to hear some candid feedback about that group or other groups at the home office to see if a move would even be worth it.

Go inside and let us know.

Training is a mess, true dog eat dog. The issue you face going from field to home office... you actually know what will/will not work with customers. Should be valuable... but...That’s a liability for the HQ types that deal in theory and consultant speak... seriously, very few have ever been held accountable for customers like yourself. You are used to numbers defining you...that won’t happen anymore, so think long and hard about how you will demonstrate performance. My advice... pursue what you love to do.

Training is a mess, true dog eat dog. The issue you face going from field to home office... you actually know what will/will not work with customers. Should be valuable... but...That’s a liability for the HQ types that deal in theory and consultant speak... seriously, very few have ever been held accountable for customers like yourself. You are used to numbers defining you...that won’t happen anymore, so think long and hard about how you will demonstrate performance. My advice... pursue what you love to do.

Training used to be a stepping stone for a rep to become a field based manager. Still was cutthroat and could be a dead end for those who didn’t play the game the right way. It’s been eons since anyone went from the field into a marketing role because marketing managers don’t want someone with field cred upsetting their apple cart (real world experience versus consultant’s opinion). The ironic thing is that those who moved into the field from home office without prior sales experience (access solutions or marketing ) have this holier than thou opinion of themselves and look down on the rest of the field. Think twice about working inside, do you want to become someone you’re not?

Political
Anonymous feedback = they don't like you or think your a threat- stab you in the back.
Place is more concerned with style over substance.

But hey go inside and watch your career take a dump!

I have a similar question / concern. Been considering a field move, but trying to figure out if it’s worth uprooting my family. Who’s moved for an ecosystem job? Is it a requirement to live within the ecosystem??

Stay away from home office. As mentioned its cut throat and nothing but a BS position. They want to hear from the field as long as it agrees with their political folly. Nothing in home office has to do with business. It's all about diversity and inclusion of skin color and sexual orientation rather in intellect or real business sense. The pay isn't good either. The next thing you now is you go from adulthood as an intelligent sales person with a life and affordable home to living in a tiny house with 8 roommates fighting over the bathroom. You'll find everyday a battle over common business sense with ridiculous extreme left ideology. Ultimately you will be seen someone who isn't openminded with out their "mindset" and they will be looking for a way to get rid of you. You'll be stuck in S San Fran depressed feeling as if you made the biggest professional mistake walking the streets in dismay smelling the aroma of human feces.

As someone who actually made that move a few years ago, i can tell you that it was my biggest and worst professional mistake ever! A few things you need to know if you are crazy enough to consider.

1) it is never about supporting the field. You have to check the boxes and ignore the field input if you don't want to be a marked man/woman.

2)What you do has zero impact, value or objective. You work with vendors to produce some of the most pathetic things in your life, It is all about meeting the deadlines and creating meaningless work.

3) If you are not a member of the LGQT community, you would never be recognized no matter what you do. You are just sucking up their office space. If you are a republican, you need to shut up and find a good therapist.

4) If you are not good at politicking or sucking up some of the worst clown managers in the industry, that would be your last job in this sinking ship. So it may be a good thing these days except that you will be stranded in SF. That could be a cause of some serious psychotherapy.

5) If you have young kids, you will ruin their life for good. SF will change them forever and you will hate yourself for it. You will always come home angry and exhausted everyday. So be ready for that.

I hope that helps! Good luck!

Stay away from home office. As mentioned its cut throat and nothing but a BS position. They want to hear from the field as long as it agrees with their political folly. Nothing in home office has to do with business. It's all about diversity and inclusion of skin color and sexual orientation rather in intellect or real business sense. The pay isn't good either. The next thing you now is you go from adulthood as an intelligent sales person with a life and affordable home to living in a tiny house with 8 roommates fighting over the bathroom. You'll find everyday a battle over common business sense with ridiculous extreme left ideology. Ultimately you will be seen someone who isn't openminded with out their "mindset" and they will be looking for a way to get rid of you. You'll be stuck in S San Fran depressed feeling as if you made the biggest professional mistake walking the streets in dismay smelling the aroma of human feces.
GOLD!

I’d stay farrrr away from Training! That department is a train wreck! Leadership is a mess, filled with a bunch of incompetent field retreads that couldn’t make it out in the Field, so they came into home office! You won’t get ahead there unless you learn to brown nose and kiss their incompetent ass! Those supposed “trainers” don’t train - vendors do! There’s no accountability for these people to actually DO THEIR JOBS! You’re better off taking the package of offered and going where you are valued and appreciated. Training ain’t it!

As someone who actually made that move a few years ago, i can tell you that it was my biggest and worst professional mistake ever! A few things you need to know if you are crazy enough to consider.

1) it is never about supporting the field. You have to check the boxes and ignore the field input if you don't want to be a marked man/woman.

2)What you do has zero impact, value or objective. You work with vendors to produce some of the most pathetic things in your life, It is all about meeting the deadlines and creating meaningless work.

3) If you are not a member of the LGQT community, you would never be recognized no matter what you do. You are just sucking up their office space. If you are a republican, you need to shut up and find a good therapist.

4) If you are not good at politicking or sucking up some of the worst clown managers in the industry, that would be your last job in this sinking ship. So it may be a good thing these days except that you will be stranded in SF. That could be a cause of some serious psychotherapy.

5) If you have young kids, you will ruin their life for good. SF will change them forever and you will hate yourself for it. You will always come home angry and exhausted everyday. So be ready for that.

I hope that helps! Good luck!

Add to this is the fact that you are not guaranteed a managerial position even after spending a few years in training. Let that sink in. You might even have to beg to get a TAM job if there is a downsizing and you are in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I’d stay farrrr away from Training! That department is a train wreck! Leadership is a mess, filled with a bunch of incompetent field retreads that couldn’t make it out in the Field, so they came into home office! You won’t get ahead there unless you learn to brown nose and kiss their incompetent ass! Those supposed “trainers” don’t train - vendors do! There’s no accountability for these people to actually DO THEIR JOBS! You’re better off taking the package of offered and going where you are valued and appreciated. Training ain’t it!