A bunch of you just joined my company. Thoughts

I left GNE several years ago, exhausted by the incessant politicking. This includes the old timers too (pre-Roche v.2008) whether tenured sales leaders or elite MBAs. Outsiders didn't understand that someone would leave marketing at GNE with the desire to make a bigger impact, but those on the inside know that you are rewarded for expending most of your energy promoting yourself vs. doing real meaningful work. Yes, there are a lot of brilliant people doing great things there, and the brands have been well-staffed and well-resourced to deliver at a high standard, but the underbelly of the Commercial organization is ruthless and unfairly rewards the wrong behaviors. The company deserves its place as a pioneer in biotech history and in many ways a model of "what good looks like," but there is life after Genentech and it can be much better and much healthier.

Most Brilliant peeps have moved on to better opportunities to utilize their brilliance elsewhere.

Other companies are catching on about GENE.

My last couple interviews, multiple interviewers asked me about my ability to work hard or be able to operate quickly and without any ZS support.......

Other companies are catching on about GENE.

My last couple interviews, multiple interviewers asked me about my ability to work hard or be able to operate quickly and without any ZS support.......

I had the same experience, no one wants to hire from GNE. Too many egos and entitlement. Sad, it used to be such a great company 10+ years ago....

I had the same experience, no one wants to hire from GNE. Too many egos and entitlement. Sad, it used to be such a great company 10+ years ago....

10 years ago biotech was a different space. Genentech had ground breaking drugs that became the standard of care. The number of people who "made" their careers off of Rituxan, Herceptin, and Avastin, I applaud you for riding one great wave....

The new product launches now are not practice changing medicines, the PDL-1's are. Thus Merck, and BMS are riding the new wave. I ask you Genentech folks do you respect the Merck reps?? The answer is No. Then put yourself in other shoes, do you think others respect Genentech reps? The answer is we do not know who they are, because they do not work hard.

Agree with the sentiments here.

Some are nice but can’t seem to handle much. Useless without all the ZS and outside consulting help.

Other ex-Genentech people are pure Machiavellian and a total cancer within small companies.

Our HQ just got a bunch of ex-Genentech people, like a half dozen. We’re a lean nimble commercial company with a great molecule (or, rather, *was* a lean nimble team).

Thoughts (unimpressed):
- Holy cow, how many meetings to meet before a meeting of a meeting, do these people need. Seem WAY more big pharma than even Pfizer or Merck. Can’t seem to make a single decision, need to ask 15 people first.
- Seem easily overwhelmed. Just 1 or 2 projects and think they’re “completely swamped”. I’d say the average Genentech person handles half as much workload as the rest of our team, and also moves half as fast. Can take half a year just to finish 1 project while the rest of us led 4X more initiatives
- This last part is the most disappointing. Must be a Genentech thing. Motivations seem to be only for internal visibility, or exposure with upper management, or empire building; 90% of the meetings aren’t even about impacting the business or solutions for the customer or how to benefit patients.

I’ve had the fortune of working on a number of mega hem/oncology brands at multiple companies, and am really surprised/disappointed at these ex-Genentech people. I guess the real talent must have been from 10-15 years ago ???

Genentech needs a massive shakeup. There are too many nonessential people here now.

Our HQ just got a bunch of ex-Genentech people, like a half dozen. We’re a lean nimble commercial company with a great molecule (or, rather, *was* a lean nimble team).

Thoughts (unimpressed):
- Holy cow, how many meetings to meet before a meeting of a meeting, do these people need. Seem WAY more big pharma than even Pfizer or Merck. Can’t seem to make a single decision, need to ask 15 people first.
- Seem easily overwhelmed. Just 1 or 2 projects and think they’re “completely swamped”. I’d say the average Genentech person handles half as much workload as the rest of our team, and also moves half as fast. Can take half a year just to finish 1 project while the rest of us led 4X more initiatives
- This last part is the most disappointing. Must be a Genentech thing. Motivations seem to be only for internal visibility, or exposure with upper management, or empire building; 90% of the meetings aren’t even about impacting the business or solutions for the customer or how to benefit patients.

I’ve had the fortune of working on a number of mega hem/oncology brands at multiple companies, and am really surprised/disappointed at these ex-Genentech people. I guess the real talent must have been from 10-15 years ago ???