• Tue news: 23andMe CEO no longer open to takeover. mRNA vaccines may boost cancer immunotherapy. BMS beats $6.4B lawsuit. CVS Health layoffs and potential breakup. JNJ abandoning proposed 340b plan. See more on our front page

This is truly a company made up of idiots...

Great points all. A "caste" system does seem to be emerging here. Talent,intellect,hard work is being replaced by wealth and celebrity. You have to look no further than pharma. Experience counts for nothing. Education counts for nothing. If you doubt it, just go on a few pharma sales interviews. Truly if you want to stay in this superficial, insane industry as a rep you are better off investing in cosmetic surgery than an advanced degree.
All seems to accelerate under the dems. who worship celebrity and are always trying to recreate the "camalot" of JFK. Everyone else they just want to control with fear. Witness the "war on women" immigration, "Medi-scare" on and on. The world is becoming a screwed up place.

YES, on the less educated being more desirable now.
I am still unemployed and looking after being laid off, however, my sibling (with just a HS education) found a new job immediately after losing her bank job (and found a very good one-- for her). If she wanted to change jobs again, I guarantee she would find something quickly, AGAIN, while I'm still looking.
If you're educated and experienced, they want to pay you like you have a HS diploma.
It's insane out there!
And just an interesting FYI-- a few years back, when I was still working in pharma, my husband decided to go on a pharma interview (he's from the industrial industry), and, NO JOKE, they actually talked him out of pursuing pharma b/c they thought he was too smart, educated (2 Bachelors, 2 Masters), and experienced for it. Told him he would be bored to death. He had 3 (yes 3!) DMs in on the interview, and when he came home, said "Wow, I can't believe those people are managers", and specifically mentioned the female. Said she was a clueless bimbo who didn't seem to know what she was doing.
I was like "Welcome to my world, honey".
(I'm NOT going back to pharma, btw!)

I am still unemployed and looking after being laid off, however, my sibling (with just a HS education) found a new job immediately after losing her bank job (and found a very good one-- for her). If she wanted to change jobs again, I guarantee she would find something quickly, AGAIN, while I'm still looking.
If you're educated and experienced, they want to pay you like you have a HS diploma.
It's insane out there!
And just an interesting FYI-- a few years back, when I was still working in pharma, my husband decided to go on a pharma interview (he's from the industrial industry), and, NO JOKE, they actually talked him out of pursuing pharma b/c they thought he was too smart, educated (2 Bachelors, 2 Masters), and experienced for it. Told him he would be bored to death. He had 3 (yes 3!) DMs in on the interview, and when he came home, said "Wow, I can't believe those people are managers", and specifically mentioned the female. Said she was a clueless bimbo who didn't seem to know what she was doing.

Great anecdote on how bizarre this industry is...I have called it a parallel universe on CP before...

People with normal jobs in normal industries would never believe what goes on in pharma...

it is just too weird for words...

I am not sure how any intelligent aware person could be a drug rep as the job stands today....

it is for losers I am afraid...wish I had not wasted so much time with it...(But I got a bit lazy--I admit it!)

FU MERCK!

I'll never forget a diversity training seminar at merck many years ago. During a break one of my district mates was ask about east indians in the US." They all seem to be doctors,enginners,phd's etc." Without missing a beat she replied: "Well think about it. The dumb ones couldn't get out of India." Kind of reminds me of merck. All the smart ones have already left.

How true.

That's actually a pretty wise statement. But you have to keep in mind that India is a class system. So, really, it is only the wealthy that get out. One could be smart and poor but you are never going anywhere in India. I just wonder how soon before the U.S. is the same way with the cost of both healthcare and advanced education. You did see the news where one in two college grads in the U.S. cannot find a job? What do you think the REAL unemployment numbers look like when half of the people out of work no longer qualify for unemployment? This group is certainly not counted in the national poll, and half of the college grads cannot find work. So, they were never counted. I bet the REAL number of people who cannot find a job is more like 25 percent, maybe even higher. Welcome to the new third world country.

Yes and no. India's caste system has been eliminated constitutionally after her independence but it continues to exist. The lower caste actually got educated more now as they have a form of affirmative action too. Some lower caste also convert to Christianity and got educated that way. You'll notice those with "western names" like Matthews or Thomas instead of Raj. A few of the physicians I call on are from those states/provinces.

It's insane out there!

I think overall the reps here are much higher in the brain and being serious catagory..... Attended a program recently and met reps from a few other companies. Wow...some are so unprofessional. One stood out ....she was literally dressed in a mini skirt get up with modern go go boots! Amazing to see....this girl was texting and gigling....then chatting it up with her friends on the phone...all while she should have been having discussions with visiting customers...Managers were there too....and some are just as bad....met one who should have been a used car salesman....totally obnoxious ....really bad news. I was shocked....With all the high levels of unemployment around cards like these are getting the jobs.....

Yes and no. India's caste system has been eliminated constitutionally after her independence but it continues to exist. The lower caste actually got educated more now as they have a form of affirmative action too. Some lower caste also convert to Christianity and got educated that way. You'll notice those with "western names" like Matthews or Thomas instead of Raj. A few of the physicians I call on are from those states/provinces.

Interesting. Know a few of the Matthews, Thomas and Reddy names and they are mostly Christian....one married an American and kids are very American and non-Indian in their ways....educated in India