• Thurs news: Sage R&D layoffs. Another Sanofi radiopharma deal. Novartis loses bid to block generic. Kezar lupus trial stopped. Why are so many pharmacies closing. See more on our front page

Thirty plus years of pharma sales and I’m so over it. Has anyone transitioned out of this industry?

I left this industry in 2008 and am so glad. I literally went to work in Afghanistan for 4 straight years. Now I work for the government.
That's tremendous. Looking to find something that I will actually get fulfillment from...I'm over pharma. It's changed significantly and is just a shadow of what it once was....

You really don't transition out of this terrible industry. What really happens is people mature and understand that this industry is for children and for people that enjoy being treated like children.

There are better industries that not only pay better, but treat you better. That is up to you to find that out. I find that the pay for the micromanagement and selling of terrible products, has left this industry to "weaker" sales professionals/managers and to college graduates that don't have a keen knowledge of even basic business principles.

In short, this industry does not offer good ROI for your time or resources, short-term and definitely not long-term.

Left the Pharma industry in 2016 after an amazing 15 yr run with Sanofi Santarus & Salix. For those of you who are still in the industry or just getting in, my advice is free and that's what it's worth- JUST DO YOUR JOB AND STAY AWAY FROM THE NEGATIVITY! It is a great gig people!

You really don't transition out of this terrible industry. What really happens is people mature and understand that this industry is for children and for people that enjoy being treated like children.

There are better industries that not only pay better, but treat you better. That is up to you to find that out. I find that the pay for the micromanagement and selling of terrible products, has left this industry to "weaker" sales professionals/managers and to college graduates that don't have a keen knowledge of even basic business principles.

In short, this industry does not offer good ROI for your time or resources, short-term and definitely not long-term.
You must of had some deficiencies somewhere along the way because I am living my best life thanks to Pharma!!

This WAS a great gig but no longer. I’m also curious about anyone who’s transitioned out of this business after a long period of time. Pharma is done.

This WAS a great gig but no longer. I’m also curious about anyone who’s transitioned out of this business after a long period of time. Pharma is done.
Perhaps, but when you are making around 150k ( + car etc) and putting in 35-40hrs a week it's kind of heard to leave this place! Depression and anxiety be damned! :)

Perhaps, but when you are making around 150k ( + car etc) and putting in 35-40hrs a week it's kind of heard to leave this place! Depression and anxiety be damned! :)
Thought I might give this thread a bump. Been in for almost 20 years, my friends in device are similarly burned out. Any ideas for industries that would be an easy transition out of big pharma?

The stress from this job will hit you hard at about 40...and getting into this job will take at least 10 years off of your life, when you consider the day to day pressure from incompetent management, terrible doctors, and rude front office cows.

The move to make is to quit asap, and start a small business OR to teach. I would only teach if you are highly intelligent or have very good social skills. The key to being a good teacher is communication. And I think most sales people are good at that, and would make excellent teachers.

The stress from this job will hit you hard at about 40...and getting into this job will take at least 10 years off of your life, when you consider the day to day pressure from incompetent management, terrible doctors, and rude front office cows.

The move to make is to quit asap, and start a small business OR to teach. I would only teach if you are highly intelligent or have very good social skills. The key to being a good teacher is communication. And I think most sales people are good at that, and would make excellent teachers.
What kind of teaching? High school teachers make 55k per year…

I live in California, Masters in English. Teaching for about 3 years now. Make over 100K. I am a good investor and save, so the money I make is just gravy. Not bad for 8 months of work.

Also, if you can't find a way to live on 56K, then you need to reevaluate where you live and your lifestyle. Many people have become wealthy on salaries less than that. The key was finding a low cost place to live, and watching their money.

Remember, the important thing is the "less stress". You will live longer as a teacher. I have no doubt in my mind. And, I am not only referring to more life years, but less mental stress because you don't have to deal with all the crazy people in the corporate world. The only stress I have these days is waking up in the morning. Almost everything else is quite easy compared to the absolute micromanaged nightmare that the sales profession is/has become.

I live in California, Masters in English. Teaching for about 3 years now. Make over 100K. I am a good investor and save, so the money I make is just gravy. Not bad for 8 months of work.

Also, if you can't find a way to live on 56K, then you need to reevaluate where you live and your lifestyle. Many people have become wealthy on salaries less than that. The key was finding a low cost place to live, and watching their money.

Remember, the important thing is the "less stress". You will live longer as a teacher. I have no doubt in my mind. And, I am not only referring to more life years, but less mental stress because you don't have to deal with all the crazy people in the corporate world. The only stress I have these days is waking up in the morning. Almost everything else is quite easy compared to the absolute micromanaged nightmare that the sales profession is/has become.
$100k in California is about $70K almost everywhere else. You may want to get X-rayed. It’s dangerous when you’re full of shit.

You are very young, I gather, and lack understanding. That is OK. It's not your fault.

I am 60 and I can tell you without reservation, that if you put too much value on making money, you are missing the point of your existence on so many levels.

First of all, making 55K, is not a bad start. Second, if you do a 401K, you can get to the lowest federal tax bracket, which gets you to a 10 percent income tax. Live in a state with no income tax or little income tax (avoid NY, California, etc), and you are going to make decent pay. Look for a teacher with nice looks, and the both of you are on your way to a good life. Start at 110K, and when you retire, you are both at 200K. Do you get it.

The bottom line is that (and most people don't see it until they are much older) you just do what is best for YOU, in this short life (yes, life is short, and don't let people fool you into thinking it is long).

If you are under 30, your goal now should be to find a woman/man that really turns you on, not your career. And, embrace your family more.

Careers are for suckers, and corporate careers are for people who are not intelligent. You will understand me more, as you approach retirement age.

Maintain your health/survival is crucial, as you don't want to die young. Stay away from bread, rice, pasta, and all processed foods. That is more important that your silly career.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

You are very young, I gather, and lack understanding. That is OK. It's not your fault.

I am 60 and I can tell you without reservation, that if you put too much value on making money, you are missing the point of your existence on so many levels.

First of all, making 55K, is not a bad start. Second, if you do a 401K, you can get to the lowest federal tax bracket, which gets you to a 10 percent income tax. Live in a state with no income tax or little income tax (avoid NY, California, etc), and you are going to make decent pay. Look for a teacher with nice looks, and the both of you are on your way to a good life. Start at 110K, and when you retire, you are both at 200K. Do you get it.

The bottom line is that (and most people don't see it until they are much older) you just do what is best for YOU, in this short life (yes, life is short, and don't let people fool you into thinking it is long).

If you are under 30, your goal now should be to find a woman/man that really turns you on, not your career. And, embrace your family more.

Careers are for suckers, and corporate careers are for people who are not intelligent. You will understand me more, as you approach retirement age.

Maintain your health/survival is crucial, as you don't want to die young. Stay away from bread, rice, pasta, and all processed foods. That is more important that your silly career.

Good luck. Keep us posted.
This moron refuses to give up preaching his unsolicited palaver.