• Mon news: Pfizer wins legal patent battle over GSK. Hospitals face hurricane-induced IV shortages. Activist investor takes $1B stake in Pfizer. MicroRNA pioneers win Nobel. Jude Bio debuts with $100M. See more on our front page

That's pronounced ROACH mr hosptial pharmacist

<

Banning us wont stop us - higher fees, higher profits - that's the ROACH way

Thanks Mr Pharmacist for locking our team out. Now I go from working 3 days a week to 2 days a week. Still looking at 100K in bonus this year. Not bad for bonus when the Pharmacist locking us out has to work 10-11 months to equal a 100K bonus. Gives me more time to look for my new Lexus and volunteer at school.

I love how Genentech folks like to blame everything on Roche. Genentech set high prices on drugs long before the merger. They also attempted this form of distribution before the merger. I don't disagree with this type of distribution, counterfeit drugs are real. Ask the folks in TN that got fake drug. How would you like it if you were surviving on Avastin or Rituxan only to get fake drugs? Old school Genentech folks get over the merger already, time moves forward and your company was not perfect before the merger and it still isn't perfect.

I love how Genentech folks like to blame everything on Roche. Genentech set high prices on drugs long before the merger. They also attempted this form of distribution before the merger. I don't disagree with this type of distribution, counterfeit drugs are real. Ask the folks in TN that got fake drug. How would you like it if you were surviving on Avastin or Rituxan only to get fake drugs? Old school Genentech folks get over the merger already, time moves forward and your company was not perfect before the merger and it still isn't perfect.

As long as I get bonus for drug used in my locked out accounts, lock me out.
I love being at home getting a paycheck as the Pharmacists hang out in the basement. Most HOPA members dream about a paycheck lime the one get and bonus.

As long as I get bonus for drug used in my locked out accounts, lock me out.
I love being at home getting a paycheck as the Pharmacists hang out in the basement. Most HOPA members dream about a paycheck lime the one get and bonus.

The leadership needs to make the HOPA group understand, we make life saving medications. HOPA members work for us. Now excuse me while i make my vacation plans for europe.

Spotlight On: Hospitals feeling pinch from Genentech's new cancer drug distribution system – is it just the tip of the iceberg?
(Ref: Spotlight On Desk)
November 11th, 2014
By: Michael Flanagan

Roche's Genentech unit tried switching to a specialty distribution system for its top cancer drugs in 2006, but shelved the idea after receiving pushback from hospitals and pharmacies. The company’s decision to push the plan through last month over similar objections is simply a sign of the times as stakeholders – drugmakers, wholesalers, payers, hospitals, et al. – have become increasingly aggressive about finding ways to cut costs and/or boost profits.

Cancer centres are already feeling a pinch from Genentech's new policy, but, according to one pharmacy executive, the real concern is how many other companies will follow suit in restricting drugs to specialty distributors, which for hospitals and pharmacies would mean missing out on many more millions of dollars in volume discounts from contracted wholesalers.

Insight, Analysis & Opinion

In a letter to customers dated September 16, Genentech said that it would change the way it ships Avastin (bevacizumab), Herceptin (trastuzumab) and Rituxan (rituximab) starting October 1 by restricting dissemination of the three cancer drugs to a select list of six authorised specialty distributors compared to as many as 80 different sellers they could have been purchased from previously.

Genentech explained that the change was intended to improve patient safety by minimising the risk of counterfeits entering the supply chain and improve access by avoiding shortages of the complex biologic products.

Niesha Griffith, administer of oncology pharmacy and infusion services at Ohio State University's James Cancer Hospital, is not buying that rationale, however, noting that the drugs had been shipping through normal wholesale channels for years without any problems with counterfeiting or storage and handling. Instead, she believes the move is a way for Genentech to save itself (as well as wholesalers) money at the expense of hospitals and pharmacies by bastardising the concept of specialty drug distribution.

"The impetus for establishing the specialty drug distribution channel has really been unclear to many of us. Originally we believed its purpose was to deliver high priced drugs for a narrow indication or those that had serious toxicities and required significant monitoring under a REMS programme," she noted.

Griffith said Genentech's change will cause hospitals three types of problems: patient concerns from having to keep more drug on hand and difficulties with procuring drugs on weekends and holidays; operational burdens from the extra space and waste disposal that will be required; and the big one being financial costs by missing out on what she estimates are 3 percent to 6 percent drug rebates for buying in bulk from contracted wholesalers.

Roche posted nearly $20 billion in worldwide sales of Avastin, Herceptin and Rituxan last year, meaning the amount of money in question is not trivial.

According to an estimate from Novation, a national purchasing group that assists hospitals in negotiating drug contracts, hospitals could stand to lose as much as $250 million annually due to the new distribution scheme.

"We are part of a group of large dedicated cancer centres and, depending on how you calculate it, we are projecting somewhere in the neighbourhood of $18 to $20 million in loss of our cost-minus discount for our group alone," according to Griffith. Who stands to gain exactly how much is unclear at this point, she said, "but it is obvious that the money will filter its way back into the pocket of wholesalers and Genentech’s shareholders."

Perhaps more important is what Genentech's successful change could mean for other drugs. "Pharmacy directors have a lot of communications with industry and we have been hearing from a lot of companies that if Genentech gets away with it then don’t think we won't try it ourselves," added Griffith.

Hospitals have little leverage in their discussions with drugmakers about changes like the one Genentech just put in place, though the expected emergence of biosimilars before too long means they might finally have at least one (albeit small) bargaining chip.

"When biosimilars come out that at least gives us something to work with," said Griffith, adding "hospitals will all jump on that bandwagon as soon as we can, and while the price differences may not be significant it will at least be something we can do to decrease our costs in response to this ongoing loss."

Spotlight On: Hospitals feeling pinch from Genentech's new cancer drug distribution system – is it just the tip of the iceberg?
(Ref: Spotlight On Desk)
November 11th, 2014
By: Michael Flanagan

Roche's Genentech unit tried switching to a specialty distribution system for its top cancer drugs in 2006, but shelved the idea after receiving pushback from hospitals and pharmacies. The company’s decision to push the plan through last month over similar objections is simply a sign of the times as stakeholders – drugmakers, wholesalers, payers, hospitals, et al. – have become increasingly aggressive about finding ways to cut costs and/or boost profits.

Cancer centres are already feeling a pinch from Genentech's new policy, but, according to one pharmacy executive, the real concern is how many other companies will follow suit in restricting drugs to specialty distributors, which for hospitals and pharmacies would mean missing out on many more millions of dollars in volume discounts from contracted wholesalers.

Insight, Analysis & Opinion

In a letter to customers dated September 16, Genentech said that it would change the way it ships Avastin (bevacizumab), Herceptin (trastuzumab) and Rituxan (rituximab) starting October 1 by restricting dissemination of the three cancer drugs to a select list of six authorised specialty distributors compared to as many as 80 different sellers they could have been purchased from previously.

Genentech explained that the change was intended to improve patient safety by minimising the risk of counterfeits entering the supply chain and improve access by avoiding shortages of the complex biologic products.

Niesha Griffith, administer of oncology pharmacy and infusion services at Ohio State University's James Cancer Hospital, is not buying that rationale, however, noting that the drugs had been shipping through normal wholesale channels for years without any problems with counterfeiting or storage and handling. Instead, she believes the move is a way for Genentech to save itself (as well as wholesalers) money at the expense of hospitals and pharmacies by bastardising the concept of specialty drug distribution.

"The impetus for establishing the specialty drug distribution channel has really been unclear to many of us. Originally we believed its purpose was to deliver high priced drugs for a narrow indication or those that had serious toxicities and required significant monitoring under a REMS programme," she noted.

Griffith said Genentech's change will cause hospitals three types of problems: patient concerns from having to keep more drug on hand and difficulties with procuring drugs on weekends and holidays; operational burdens from the extra space and waste disposal that will be required; and the big one being financial costs by missing out on what she estimates are 3 percent to 6 percent drug rebates for buying in bulk from contracted wholesalers.

Roche posted nearly $20 billion in worldwide sales of Avastin, Herceptin and Rituxan last year, meaning the amount of money in question is not trivial.

According to an estimate from Novation, a national purchasing group that assists hospitals in negotiating drug contracts, hospitals could stand to lose as much as $250 million annually due to the new distribution scheme.

"We are part of a group of large dedicated cancer centres and, depending on how you calculate it, we are projecting somewhere in the neighbourhood of $18 to $20 million in loss of our cost-minus discount for our group alone," according to Griffith. Who stands to gain exactly how much is unclear at this point, she said, "but it is obvious that the money will filter its way back into the pocket of wholesalers and Genentech’s shareholders."

Perhaps more important is what Genentech's successful change could mean for other drugs. "Pharmacy directors have a lot of communications with industry and we have been hearing from a lot of companies that if Genentech gets away with it then don’t think we won't try it ourselves," added Griffith.

Hospitals have little leverage in their discussions with drugmakers about changes like the one Genentech just put in place, though the expected emergence of biosimilars before too long means they might finally have at least one (albeit small) bargaining chip.

"When biosimilars come out that at least gives us something to work with," said Griffith, adding "hospitals will all jump on that bandwagon as soon as we can, and while the price differences may not be significant it will at least be something we can do to decrease our costs in response to this ongoing loss."

This person does not get it. Most Med Oncs at NCCN facilities are on Genentechs payroll. They are getting their pockets lined with thousands. They will stop druggy in her tracks. Druggy needs to know that way of the land. She needs to hang out with her HOPA-Less friends and rant. Please, someone at Ohio State sit down with her and explain to her Genentech owns her and her docs.

I must say the responses on this cafapharma site sadden me but I'm not surprised. Look where I am! The negative cold heartless comments from some people amaze me. I feel for the small hospitals impacted and I am concerned how this may impact their future patient care and who knows maybe they will now get gobbled up. Those that pass through need to realize the negative comments are generally by 1 or 2 idiots that love to hide behind a place where they can remain nameless cowards....may be time for you to get out of the industry. My pharmacist are generally all good, smart people who are asked a lot of everyday. They need to manage a budget and answer tough questions when it comes to where the money is.

So my heartless friends with their brazen comments....Look in the mirror. Your mom and dad would be so proud.

I must say the responses on this cafapharma site sadden me but I'm not surprised. Look where I am! The negative cold heartless comments from some people amaze me. I feel for the small hospitals impacted and I am concerned how this may impact their future patient care and who knows maybe they will now get gobbled up. Those that pass through need to realize the negative comments are generally by 1 or 2 idiots that love to hide behind a place where they can remain nameless cowards....may be time for you to get out of the industry. My pharmacist are generally all good, smart people who are asked a lot of everyday. They need to manage a budget and answer tough questions when it comes to where the money is.

So my heartless friends with their brazen comments....Look in the mirror. Your mom and dad would be so proud.

EAT MY BALL SACK, WON'T YOU?

EAT MY BALL SACK, WON'T YOU?

Too Funny!! Florence Nightengale feels sorry for the poor Pharmacist that just had their costs go up tens of thousands or more. Hey Florence, turn your paycheck over and make your bleeding heart self feel better. Give up the Lexus, Big House and other toys to help. Not going to happen.

Too Funny!! Florence Nightengale feels sorry for the poor Pharmacist that just had their costs go up tens of thousands or more. Hey Florence, turn your paycheck over and make your bleeding heart self feel better. Give up the Lexus, Big House and other toys to help. Not going to happen.

These Pharmacists are worse than the high school students I use to teach. Now this Novations group is holding our data. Join us, don't mess with us. Heck, I get paid 11K a month and will be receiving a 25K bonus on December 15th. The worse part about the job, I have to go to work 5 days in December.

These Pharmacists are worse than the high school students I use to teach. Now this Novations group is holding our data. Join us, don't mess with us. Heck, I get paid 11K a month and will be receiving a 25K bonus on December 15th. The worse part about the job, I have to go to work 5 days in December.

The lockouts and Novations games are getting old. Just got to do the fake calls things better. On of my friends put in a call at lunch. His problem was that one of the docs stopped practicing months earlier due to cancer. The doc died a few weeks after the lunch, but will have a charge listed on the sunshine act even though he did not attend the lunch. Since the doc died, he does not have to worry about anyone disputing the cost of the lunch assigned to the doctor. I am not so sure that I would placed a call in SFA on the doc.

Well when I go to a hospital now and valet park my new BMW 750, I don't tip the valet attendant anymore. I figure if they want to play hard ball with me I have ways in getting back at them too.

The lockouts and Novations games are getting old. Just got to do the fake calls things better. On of my friends put in a call at lunch. His problem was that one of the docs stopped practicing months earlier due to cancer. The doc died a few weeks after the lunch, but will have a charge listed on the sunshine act even though he did not attend the lunch. Since the doc died, he does not have to worry about anyone disputing the cost of the lunch assigned to the doctor. I am not so sure that I would placed a call in SFA on the doc.

Please, with the lockouts, fake calls is the way to make numbers. That is just the way it is. Put in calls for retired, dead or physicians that have moved, just make the numbers to keep everyone happy. Managers understand. Heck, one manager from St. Louis worked with a rep a total of 3 hours in 11 months. The leadership supports us and understand this is a part time job with full time pay. That is just the reality.

Please, with the lockouts, fake calls is the way to make numbers. That is just the way it is. Put in calls for retired, dead or physicians that have moved, just make the numbers to keep everyone happy. Managers understand. Heck, one manager from St. Louis worked with a rep a total of 3 hours in 11 months. The leadership supports us and understand this is a part time job with full time pay. That is just the reality.

So the cost of product at our Cancer Center just went up 800K so we can pay for reps to put fake calls in on dead or retired physicians, managers that struggle to leave the house and Animal House parties in Las Vegas.

Time for a federal investigation.

You guys are a bunch of idiots and deserve what happens to you for putting all of your business out there! No one knows how ignorant you are until you open your mouths! When you are fired from your 100k -200k job and can't afford your bills, you will wish that you keep your FAT mouths shut! Morons!

You guys are a bunch of idiots and deserve what happens to you for putting all of your business out there! No one knows how ignorant you are until you open your mouths! When you are fired from your 100k -200k job and can't afford your bills, you will wish that you keep your FAT mouths shut! Morons!

That is, "you will wish that you kept your FAT mouths shut"!