Stryker CMF asr compensation/salary?

<

Bitch boy is an understatement. Bend over and take your plebe docking on the daily. And then after standing in my cases all day for me, load the squat rack up and spot me. If you can’t Roman deadlift and squat at least 350 don’t even bother applying. Better load up on Lube and HGH cuz it’s going to be a long year for you bruh. You’ll be lucky to get a territory cuz. Sure as shit not breaking off a piece of my kit kat bar. Best case scenario some rep gets hit by a bus and you win the lottery. Hold my beer.

I was an ASR here long ago, got my own territory too. Only my territory was all the garbage accounts because no rep would ever give up their golden goose accounts, so I had some success in certain hospitals and others laughed since I wasn’t Synthes or KLS. Played the game for a while and then left for a better job. Not a bad place to learn med device and get your experience, and the training was pretty good, but the poor pay and grind once you become a rep in this division was totally lackluster. Here are much better jobs out there in med device. Do your two years as an ASR and then bounce, trust me.

very true, great place to cut your teeth and if your lucky enough to get your own territory thats not garbage accounts could be a good place to hang your hat. If your young/hungry and in a good place where you can make $50-60k a year for 2 years I’d do it just to break in to the biz. Bust your ass, learn and build your relationships and move on.

I’m young and very hungry. Graduating in December cum laude with a b.s in biology, but from what I’ve read the ASR is base salary and no commish? So im not sure how my hunger would translate into tangible dollars for me and not just the sales rep. I was under the impression that getting promoted from an ASR to sales rep was imminent as long as you weren’t garbage at selling. I’m really trying to get into the business and can’t get an interview with any other med device companies since I have no expierience, only reason I’m getting this interview is because I have a reference.
very true, great place to cut your teeth and if your lucky enough to get your own territory thats not garbage accounts could be a good place to hang your hat. If your young/hungry and in a good place where you can make $50-60k a year for 2 years I’d do it just to break in to the biz. Bust your ass, learn and build your relationships and move on.

If this one doesn’t work out cut your teeth in b2b sales selling like copiers for 12-24 mos and keep interviewing for that ASR role. You’re bound to land one eventually. Sign up for medreps.com as well, quite a few ASR roles posted on there. Or you can go the dealer 1099 route working for companies like Arthrex.

Good luck, most of us have been there at some point in our career waiting for that break.

Getting your own territory is not imminent. In my case the rep I was working for was not willing to cut off a piece of his territory and why would he? He was making $300k+ and was not about to give me $100k or more of that. Ideally you help grow the territory so much that it can sustain the two of you. The reality is that is unlikely. Relocating is also an option or best case is your rep is promoted and you take over. My advice is to take the 2 years to understand the business and create great relationships in the hospital with staff and physicians. After 2 years your value will be worth a lot to other companies. I went from making $75k as an ASR to making $185k at a competitor company which almost a decade later I’m now working for an innovative company making high six figures per year selling capital with an equity stake in the company. If this company is purchased, which is likely, I stand to make a lot of cash. Take these 2 years as a gift with minimal stress to learn and set up your career for success. Stryker is not the end all, be all. That said, I really enjoyed my two years there and owe a lot of my success to my experience with Stryker.

Getting your own territory is not imminent. In my case the rep I was working for was not willing to cut off a piece of his territory and why would he? He was making $300k+ and was not about to give me $100k or more of that. Ideally you help grow the territory so much that it can sustain the two of you. The reality is that is unlikely. Relocating is also an option or best case is your rep is promoted and you take over. My advice is to take the 2 years to understand the business and create great relationships in the hospital with staff and physicians. After 2 years your value will be worth a lot to other companies. I went from making $75k as an ASR to making $185k at a competitor company which almost a decade later I’m now working for an innovative company making high six figures per year selling capital with an equity stake in the company. If this company is purchased, which is likely, I stand to make a lot of cash. Take these 2 years as a gift with minimal stress to learn and set up your career for success. Stryker is not the end all, be all. That said, I really enjoyed my two years there and owe a lot of my success to my experience with Stryker.

this poster knows whats up. My experience was similar- my rep didn't break off anything as he was making 300k+ also. regional leadership decided to take a few accounts away that had huge growth potential but that my rep was just milking for ancillary products that don't require coverage. I thought, "great! I'll flip this thing no problem". Only, I was so very wrong. There was a reason my rep wasn't really calling on this account, it was totally locked up with solid contracts and relationships with a competitor. So then I had accounts that I thought would be good but were just total duds. in hindsight though, those tough accounts taught me a great deal about sales and how to be successful in a very competitive environment. I got a job with capital as well and if stryker hadn't given me the chance to cut my teeth, I likely wouldn't be where I am now. do your 2 years and find a company that values your abilities, not one that caters to the good old boys club and offers little reward in the way of territory management.

the above 2 posts are spot on. I worked for Stryker in the Trauma division for many years, about a year & a 1/2 as an ASR cutting my teeth. The trauma game is tough and every manager and recruiter knows it. The fact I did it for 5 years and started a family in that time shows even more grit, but the money just wasn’t there because of contracts and relationships. At the end of the day, I’ve more than doubled what I was making at Stryker and am a manager at another medical device company with a much better quality of life (haven’t gotten a phone after 5:30pm or on the weekend in over 5 years). Not to mention stock options, all the FF miles & hotel rewards I can eat and a pretty generous expense account for when I travel. My advice is go the B2B route for a few years and learn how to sell. A lot of started that way and you’re going to be pretty hard-presses to find a senior rep willing to actually help you.

^^^^^I love it...all the Stryker failures giving life advice. All of these 3 couldn't hack and didn't make real money, their words not mine. Either you can sell or your can't. If you can't, you will join a capital company. Also, equity in a company these days means almost nothing. You will be diluted out to making not even half of a year salary (if your lucky). Your options are not preferrred and all new start ups will take VC $ that gets paid before you. Good luck.

I am approaching a job offer from ADP as well, would you recommend doing B2B sales for a company like that selling payroll for a year or two before venturing into the medical sales field, even though I have a b.s in biology?

the above 2 posts are spot on. I worked for Stryker in the Trauma division for many years, about a year & a 1/2 as an ASR cutting my teeth. The trauma game is tough and every manager and recruiter knows it. The fact I did it for 5 years and started a family in that time shows even more grit, but the money just wasn’t there because of contracts and relationships. At the end of the day, I’ve more than doubled what I was making at Stryker and am a manager at another medical device company with a much better quality of life (haven’t gotten a phone after 5:30pm or on the weekend in over 5 years). Not to mention stock options, all the FF miles & hotel rewards I can eat and a pretty generous expense account for when I travel. My advice is go the B2B route for a few years and learn how to sell. A lot of started that way and you’re going to be pretty hard-presses to find a senior rep willing to actually help you.

^^^^^I love it...all the Stryker failures giving life advice. All of these 3 couldn't hack and didn't make real money, their words not mine. Either you can sell or your can't. If you can't, you will join a capital company. Also, equity in a company these days means almost nothing. You will be diluted out to making not even half of a year salary (if your lucky). Your options are not preferrred and all new start ups will take VC $ that gets paid before you. Good luck.

I am one of the "failures" above and figured I'd chime in again, against my better judgement. I could sell, and I made pretty decent money with crap accounts, doing $160+ in my last 2 years before I left. Mind you, my income trajectory only ever went up during my time at Stryker CMF. Is that big money? No, its not, at least not in my opinion and in the opinion of many at Stryker. Especially considering what the tenured rep was pulling down at 300+. But making that under 30 with no spouse/kids, 0 debt, and living in a lower cost area? Not bad many would say. But the reality is that my income grew from barely over 100 when I got my territory to almost 170 in the short span that I was a full rep with the bad accounts. I just had to sell stuff that could get me in the door, but a lot of the bread and butter trauma business was totally locked with other companies. Don't let Stryker trolls tell you otherwise, if a hospital wants to keep you out, regardless of how much surgeon and staff support you have, they will keep you out. So much for sales ability in those scenarios. But ultimately our job was to figure out a way around those barriers, that's what sets Stryker reps apart, and that is how I had my success. I could definitely sell, I just didn't have the same legitimate opportunity that my full rep did given my account makeup. Make no mistake- he didn't sell, he hadn't in years. He barely covered cases too. I ended up running that territory as the ASR and in return learned how to run my own territory. The ASRs that came after me were a joke too. Major business was lost. By the time the guy finally decided to step back into his accounts the damage was done and other vendors were doing big business. CMF is a marathon and not a sprint. The goal is to just squeak over quota, so that the next years growth is manageable. Many reps blow it out one year and then can never again replicate growth like that given Strykers growth targets. You just have to ask yourself if the end goal of getting a decent CMF territory is likely or worth the BS. Be sure to ask about the competitive landscape of the area you are interviewing for, and ask why the position is open. Did the ASR prior get promoted? Quit? Move cross country? Take over a rep spot that quit? What is the trend of the territory the last 3 years? How much was the territory billing per month the last 12 months? All these are critical to know if you are about to sign up to be the bitch boy for 2 years. Especially if the rumors are true that they are taking a commission cut. I guess us "failures" have the last laugh in the end.