Roche/Genentech helping displaced during national emergency?

anonymous

Hello - Does anyone know if Genentech is considering extending the notification date or offering additional support to displaced employees during the national emergency and global pandemic?

Is it the right thing to lay off hundreds of people during a national emergency? This is a once in 100 year situation we are in. Even Trump's team shared yesterday that things *will get worse*.

I realize that the decisions were made in advance of this situation. However, this is an opportunity for the company to show some *additional* support and compassion for those who have served the company for so long. There is no doubt that a displacement and risk of not having health coverage during this time may and will impact the livelihood and health of many around us.

We would have to give on the Roche family's profitability ($25 Billion in 2019 alone). However, the additional good will we would gain would be tremendous, as would the public perception of the values of a global pharmaceutical company. Alexander has spoken about how we are viewed less favorably than cigarette companies. This is our chance to show that we care about the social wellbeing of people and are not just about profits.

Finally, the company has made *tremendous* profits the last few years. This last year has been record breaking profits. Why not share those with the people who helped us get there during some very scary times for our employees.

My job is not at risk. We are are not having layoffs in my group.

This feels like the right thing to do in a time when the pharma industry needs to demonstrate that they aren't just about profits.

<

Hello - Does anyone know if Genentech is considering extending the notification date or offering additional support to displaced employees during the national emergency and global pandemic?

Is it the right thing to lay off hundreds of people during a national emergency? This is a once in 100 year situation we are in. Even Trump's team shared yesterday that things *will get worse*.

I realize that the decisions were made in advance of this situation. However, this is an opportunity for the company to show some *additional* support and compassion for those who have served the company for so long. There is no doubt that a displacement and risk of not having health coverage during this time may and will impact the livelihood and health of many around us.

We would have to give on the Roche family's profitability ($25 Billion in 2019 alone). However, the additional good will we would gain would be tremendous, as would the public perception of the values of a global pharmaceutical company. Alexander has spoken about how we are viewed less favorably than cigarette companies. This is our chance to show that we care about the social wellbeing of people and are not just about profits.

Finally, the company has made *tremendous* profits the last few years. This last year has been record breaking profits. Why not share those with the people who helped us get there during some very scary times for our employees.

This feels like the right thing to do in a time when the pharma industry needs to demonstrate that they aren't just about profits.
Stop begging, bitch.

Agree. The whack job going down in CMG was already a mess and now this.

Heard there is a CEOF person with possible infection from recent Asian travels?

Now trump may come back with it.

• xyz   Mar 14, 2020 at 04:54: PM
Stop begging, bitch.
And this is precisely why this company is not where anyone should want to be. It’s not worth the extra shred of salary. The chosen people and those who are left here are the real losers.

• xyz   Mar 14, 2020 at 06:45: PM
They did the right thing by us during Sandy and Harvey (for real), I'm sure they will do the same!
It was a different company then. These are not the same decision makers and they don’t give a single fuck about the people they’re already offed. And they’re making decisions now based on a political popularity contest with zero regard for smarts, experience or the best candidate. They do not give a single shit what happens to us. They want us off their books.

It was a different company then. These are not the same decision makers and they don’t give a single fuck about the people they’re already offed. And they’re making decisions now based on a political popularity contest with zero regard for smarts, experience or the best candidate. They do not give a single shit what happens to us. They want us off their books.
Absolutely true and an utter disgrace. Herb & Bob LONG gone.

I hope they step up now. If there is a time to do so, it would be now. Show some grace and compassion. Alexander, this is your time.

• xyz   Mar 16, 2020 at 05:40: PM
I hope they step up now. If there is a time to do so, it would be now. Show some grace and compassion. Alexander, this is your time.
The way they have treated their displaced employees who were not given a role in the bullshit ecosystem model is unthinkable.

hey, there's an extra 30 days notice for people being displaced! Wow, this place is crazy generous... just think, an extra 30 days of benefits during a national health crisis. Thanks Genentech. I'm so happy you stepped up. [sarcasm]

Just think...of all the options you had available...you went with that. You could have enhanced the severance packages...you could have extended healthcare benefits beyond 4 months... nope, 30 days.

Best year the company ever had was 2019 (after a previous best 2018).... and we get an extra 30 days.

Those of you that land... pay attention to how people are treated during the worse financial/health crisis of our lifetime (and probably last 100 years). Keep moving forward with customer engagement, that ship has sailed...but maybe make it a bit easier for folks entering the work force into a buzzsaw.

hey, there's an extra 30 days notice for people being displaced! Wow, this place is crazy generous... just think, an extra 30 days of benefits during a national health crisis. Thanks Genentech. I'm so happy you stepped up. [sarcasm]

Just think...of all the options you had available...you went with that. You could have enhanced the severance packages...you could have extended healthcare benefits beyond 4 months... nope, 30 days.

Best year the company ever had was 2019 (after a previous best 2018).... and we get an extra 30 days.

Those of you that land... pay attention to how people are treated during the worse financial/health crisis of our lifetime (and probably last 100 years). Keep moving forward with customer engagement, that ship has sailed...but maybe make it a bit easier for folks entering the work force into a buzzsaw.

Honestly you are lucky you are getting anything. They certainly don't have to give you a severance of any kind. Or give you benefits for 4 months. And even though they know you are gone they are still paying you. Hopefully you stay in this industry because I don't think you would last long in the real world.

Honestly what were you expecting? It's a stingy company with a ton of profit that's shedding people. They don't give a shit about people and have done little for the community compared to other companies during this tough time.

Those who are staying, watch your back. I

I left Genentech a month ago and can honestly say that it's the same everywhere else. People complain here too.

I didn't leave in a huff, or feeling like Genentech did me wrong. Genentech leave benefits are actually pretty generous, all things considered (which is why I left). I have a few colleagues at other pharma companies who have now been furloughed and not getting paid.

It's not just our industry. Look at restaurant workers, hotel workers, construction workers. Shit happens. I know things are difficult, but playing the victim says more about you than it does the company.

Honestly you are lucky you are getting anything. They certainly don't have to give you a severance of any kind. Or give you benefits for 4 months. And even though they know you are gone they are still paying you. Hopefully you stay in this industry because I don't think you would last long in the real world.

What a load of shit.

What a total load of shit. Those people they cut in the pioneer ecosystem sham are long time loyal people who built those brands into the billion dollar profit ranges. Thirty extra days in the face of a pandemic is a joke. The company spit in the face of employees who put Genentech where it is for over twenty years and some punk like you is saying those employees should be lucky for thirty extra days ? FU and the everyone is watching Genentech shit on its loyal people who need health insurance now more than ever. No the organization cut them to keep younger cheaper. Let them extend benefits through the end of the year and do the right thing.

What a total load of shit. Those people they cut in the pioneer ecosystem sham are long time loyal people who built those brands into the billion dollar profit ranges. Thirty extra days in the face of a pandemic is a joke. The company spit in the face of employees who put Genentech where it is for over twenty years and some punk like you is saying those employees should be lucky for thirty extra days ? FU and the everyone is watching Genentech shit on its loyal people who need health insurance now more than ever. No the organization cut them to keep younger cheaper. Let them extend benefits through the end of the year and do the right thing.

THIS! Finally someone is telling it like it is!! Age discrimination is rampant. This goes for anyone over 40 on both side as workers and managers. Genentech upper management has had minorities fight minorities. Friends against friends because they knew we would fight over money. It’s time to tell management off in their FACES!!