Over 50 with 20 Years in Pharma

You are all idiots…

I got hired out of college at 23 w/ a bio degree at $50k/year on a contract role…
Played that for 1.5 years, then landed a direct job at $65k/year…
Won a Chairman’s award there and bailed on them to get additional biologic experience on a contract role for $72k/year…
Got rolled over into direct hire at $85k/year…
Got raised from $85k to $100k then $120k in consecutive years… won another award while at that company…
And now I played that into a specialty rare disease job making $175k/year…
I now regularly get offers from many start-up & rare disease recruiters offering to pay me up to $200k & over while I’m waiting for the right opportunity…

hello, I am 30 years old and I have >7 years of experience in Pharma/“Biotech”

do your job well and you will be rewarded, simply put… be a blood sucking leech and provide nothing to your organization in terms of sales & ideas, you will be treated as disposable garbage like many of the “50-something’s” I have worked with… it’s about quality, not quantity in this industry… 20 years of experience doing jack gets you jack for respect…

Out of curiosity, at this point, what is the right opportunity for you?

Out of curiosity, at this point, what is the right opportunity for you?

Continuing my money grab, stepping over and pushing aside who I need to so that I can get me mine, ruthless using and scamming of any recruiter that can get me more and being done with this clown industry called Pharma by the age of 40.

You are DUMB. I’m in Oncology. I socialize with some of my customers outside of work and have many of their personal cell phone numbers giving me access when I need it. Things younger reps will NEVER have. If Novartis decides to cut cut me I will goto DIRECT competitors to our current drugs and make EVEN MORE money for 3-5 more years and then retire in style. Nice try though PLAYER.
All the direct competitors are in the SAME BOAT, don’t think you’re jumping anywhere

Continuing my money grab, stepping over and pushing aside who I need to so that I can get me mine, ruthless using and scamming of any recruiter that can get me more and being done with this clown industry called Pharma by the age of 40.

The truly adorable part of this self-important idiocy is the "stepping over and pushing aside" mentality. It is beyond your profoundly limited comprehension how completely useless you are. Furthermore, decisions on who gets cut and who stays are made by a third-party vendor, so all of your pompous theatrics won't save you when it's time for reductions.
At least you can take comfort knowing everyone will point and laugh when your ass gets canned.

The truly adorable part of this self-important idiocy is the "stepping over and pushing aside" mentality. It is beyond your profoundly limited comprehension how completely useless you are. Furthermore, decisions on who gets cut and who stays are made by a third-party vendor, so all of your pompous theatrics won't save you when it's time for reductions.
At least you can take comfort knowing everyone will point and laugh when your ass gets canned.

Directors always have override over final decisions.

If you have been in pharma sales for 20 years work is an oxymoron (closing quarters,making number, and taking PO orders). Best of luck to all impacted.

Directors always have override over final decisions.

If you have been in pharma sales for 20 years work is an oxymoron (closing quarters,making number, and taking PO orders). Best of luck to all impacted.

Incorrect. Even if this was true they would never subject themselves to the liability that comes with these sort of decisions.
They hire outside vendors for legal reasons, not to make sound, informed decisions.
Right or wrong no director is touching it.

You are all idiots…

I got hired out of college at 23 w/ a bio degree at $50k/year on a contract role…
Won a Chairman’s award there and bailed on them to get additional biologic experience on a contract role for $72k/year…
Got raised from $85k to $100k then $120k in consecutive years… won another award while at that company…
I now regularly get offers from many start-up & rare disease recruiters offering to pay me up to $200k & over while I’m waiting for the right opportunity…

do your job well and you will be rewarded, simply put… be a blood sucking leech and provide nothing to your organization in terms of sales & ideas, you will be treated as disposable garbage like many of the “50-something’s” I have worked with… it’s about quality, not quantity in this industry… 20 years of experience doing jack gets you jack for respect…

you're 30? Better start thinking about a breast lift, maybe go up a cup size. Maybe host a botox party too.

who is dumb enough to believe this is the same poster as earlier… no one truthfully speaks like that, even anonymously…

just because I am successful at 30 doesn’t mean I’m ruthless. I’m focused. I focus on my customers not drinking the marketing team’s latest kool-aid; they’re not the ones that have to face our customers when their plans go awry, they have no accountability yet I see reps blindly following and trusting marketing on a consistent basis. They should have to earn your trust & respect.

Just like you should be doing with your customers, earning their trust & respect. I want to create & brainstorm with my customers. That’s the beauty of the rare disease space, you likely know just as much, if not more than the majority of your customers. I want my customers to value my input & help them build protocols/order sets based on disease pathophysiology that help identify patients with severe diseases that can have life-changing results on therapy.

So if you’re not prepared to actually do your job then you’re not going to be able to skate by, unlike the majority of the 50-something’s that got hired in the 90’s-2000’s era. The era where more reps = more sales. The era of pushing football tickets & being drinking buddies with your primary care customers is over. If you’re not helping them, you are a waste of time. So no, just because you have 20 years of experience doesn’t mean you’re worth a damn. It’s quality of work, not quantity.

who is dumb enough to believe this is the same poster as earlier… no one truthfully speaks like that, even anonymously…

just because I am successful at 30 doesn’t mean I’m ruthless. I’m focused. I focus on my customers not drinking the marketing team’s latest kool-aid; they’re not the ones that have to face our customers when their plans go awry, they have no accountability yet I see reps blindly following and trusting marketing on a consistent basis. They should have to earn your trust & respect.

Just like you should be doing with your customers, earning their trust & respect. I want to create & brainstorm with my customers. That’s the beauty of the rare disease space, you likely know just as much, if not more than the majority of your customers. I want my customers to value my input & help them build protocols/order sets based on disease pathophysiology that help identify patients with severe diseases that can have life-changing results on therapy.

So if you’re not prepared to actually do your job then you’re not going to be able to skate by, unlike the majority of the 50-something’s that got hired in the 90’s-2000’s era. The era where more reps = more sales. The era of pushing football tickets & being drinking buddies with your primary care customers is over. If you’re not helping them, you are a waste of time. So no, just because you have 20 years of experience doesn’t mean you’re worth a damn. It’s quality of work, not quantity.

What a narcissist and a fool. I can see it now " Dr Smith what are we going to do with patient X" Doctor says oh I need to wait for my Novartis rep. His input is so valuable and he makes my protocols. HAHAHAHA. Bring the Starbucks chump and sit the hell down.

What a narcissist and a fool. I can see it now " Dr Smith what are we going to do with patient X" Doctor says oh I need to wait for my Novartis rep. His input is so valuable and he makes my protocols. HAHAHAHA. Bring the Starbucks chump and sit the hell down.

says the fool worried about layoffs… a bit of advice… if you think of yourself as a fool, then so do your customers… now dance, monkey…

Insufferable

This post is hilarious. Anyone who thinks a Director will step in and save you from a layoff, that your doctors can’t get by without you is insane. Offices are used to reps coming and going. Directors too worried about own job to care about you. Not to mention the liability like the other poster mentioned. You are a lotto ball in the computer that the 3rd party company will pull from. Novartis has to keep a certain number from multiple demographics so it doesn’t look like discrimination. Possibly where you live will help you. Possibly your last 3 years of reviews over someone that also lives in your zip code. Possibly over 50, have a disability, race, etc. Other than you last performance reviews, nothing else is in your control. There is no way to tell what will happen because Novartis never shares the exact criteria using for every layoff they do. Been through a bunch with this company. Always some surprises who they keep and who goes.

This post is hilarious. Anyone who thinks a Director will step in and save you from a layoff, that your doctors can’t get by without you is insane. Offices are used to reps coming and going. Directors too worried about own job to care about you. Not to mention the liability like the other poster mentioned. You are a lotto ball in the computer that the 3rd party company will pull from. Novartis has to keep a certain number from multiple demographics so it doesn’t look like discrimination. Possibly where you live will help you. Possibly your last 3 years of reviews over someone that also lives in your zip code. Possibly over 50, have a disability, race, etc. Other than you last performance reviews, nothing else is in your control. There is no way to tell what will happen because Novartis never shares the exact criteria using for every layoff they do. Been through a bunch with this company. Always some surprises who they keep and who goes.

Are we going to ever see that 30 year olds tits?

You are all idiots…

The funny thing is, you reap what you sew in life. Someone like you has been riding a gravy train without any real understanding of what is going on in the economy or the industry. Whether you realize it or not you are one layoff away from your last pharma sales job after which you won’t qualify to sell hamburgers.

The funny thing is, you reap what you sew in life. Someone like you has been riding a gravy train without any real understanding of what is going on in the economy or the industry. Whether you realize it or not you are one layoff away from your last pharma sales job after which you won’t qualify to sell hamburgers.
Sew

sounds like you know this industry about as well as you can tell your ass from a hole in the ground. Just put some real effort in at what the role is supposed to entail (clinical selling) & make friends along the way, that’s how you are successful. That’s how you don’t get laid off. I’ve been through numerous & there is always a level of discretion bc my managers are up front with me bc I’m transparent with them. It’s how the world works numb nuts.

You are jaded and your worried about your next job bc you clearly don’t think you deserve what you get paid for this job. in your own words, you reap what you sew…

sounds like you know this industry about as well as you can tell your ass from a hole in the ground. Just put some real effort in at what the role is supposed to entail (clinical selling) & make friends along the way, that’s how you are successful. That’s how you don’t get laid off. I’ve been through numerous & there is always a level of discretion bc my managers are up front with me bc I’m transparent with them. It’s how the world works numb nuts.

You are jaded and your worried about your next job bc you clearly don’t think you deserve what you get paid for this job. in your own words, you reap what you sew…

Please thank your friends/lobbyists on K street. You would not exist without their money and advocacy.

You are HIGHLY overpaid for your duties.

Some basic sales functions that do not exist in pharma Oncology/Rare Disease or PC

Closing quarters
Create pipelines
Handle customers who do not pay for services.

A majority of pharma reps could not meet the expectation or hours of a GrubHub driver.

I know you are good at scheduling/ordering lunches and quoting a company sponsored study.

Good luck to all impacted.