Outside interview feedback

anonymous

I had an interview with two companies in the last two weeks. One was big pharma, the other a mid-sized pharma, both doing really well. At different times in both interviews it was mentioned that the Genentech name and reputation is not helping me, and one company said poor past and current leadership decisions are leaking through the industry...that their pure push or comfort with great talent over the past 1-3 years being removed, especially in Medical, was widely known. More so, that our past leadership teams were “naive, foolish, and ill-prepared.” I felt embarrassed. Is anyone else experiencing this? Anyone have serious, good advice? Hoping to get some thoughts beyond the snappy comments.

<

I am totally positive that what they saw is an entitled, lazy, fat turd sitting in front of them. Were they interviewing you or your former leader??? Look in the mirror sister- this is all about you.

I am totally positive that what they saw is an entitled, lazy, fat turd sitting in front of them. Were they interviewing you or your former leader??? Look in the mirror sister- this is all about you.

That poster directly asked for any advice and as usual, typical trolls using abusive and offensive unhelpful crap language. Seriously the culture of people who work here is disgusting and shameful.

Wow, what a supreme asshole you are - a quality I remember well among a disturbing number of colleagues at GNE. Poster, to your question, when I left almost a year ago (praise be!) the stain of Genentech wasn't as well-known yet so I didn't experience those types of comments. That said, GNE's poor reputation has indeed caught on since then and colleagues at my current mid-size biotech are well-aware of the reputational fall. Just be sure in interviews to separate yourself from the drama and entitlement at GNE by focusing on your accomplishments and skill set across several roles, desire to diversify your experience, contribute on a broader scale etc. Don't get pulled into acknowledging the shit show you are leaving or bad mouthing in any way. Good luck!

I had an interview with two companies in the last two weeks. One was big pharma, the other a mid-sized pharma, both doing really well. At different times in both interviews it was mentioned that the Genentech name and reputation is not helping me, and one company said poor past and current leadership decisions are leaking through the industry...that their pure push or comfort with great talent over the past 1-3 years being removed, especially in Medical, was widely known. More so, that our past leadership teams were “naive, foolish, and ill-prepared.” I felt embarrassed. Is anyone else experiencing this? Anyone have serious, good advice? Hoping to get some thoughts beyond the snappy comments.

I'll take conversations that never happened for $500.....

2016 - Genentech name was top notch (though slipping from the premier rating

2021 - You can put dear old Genentech right in there with Mallinkrot, Mylan, Teva and Biogen = the stains on your tighty whities which don’t come out....

Don’t pay attention to the critics in this chain. Something similar happened to my friend not during interviews but after he got a job where some GNE people went, and every time he brought the name up people laughed and made comments.

Also lots of recruiters read these threads and make assumptions how things are going. People on my team search the threads for candidates’ companies.

explain that you’re ready for the next challenge/growth in your career. Don’t get trapped into speaking badly about your current company.

I still work here and I make it work for me but also I realize that lots of people have been mistreated. Anyone who suggests your experiences aren’t true, or mocks your ask for help is a fool and part of the problem. It’s the usual kind of bullying that the anonymous live for. I found your call for help to be sincere and not elitist. I choose to support people asking for assistance rather than mocking them. Good luck!

As an outside employer, when I speak to Genentech reps, it not that they are bad or don't know what they are doing. It is their elitist or self entitled attitudes that inhibits them from gaining employment. I don't know what they put in your koolaid, but I will take a BMS, Merck or Pfizer rep over a Genentech rep anyday. Those companies actually pay for performance and require their people to hustle. Genentech = lazy and entitled.

It is well known that Genentech is not what it used to be. Most recruiters have heard this. Not a secret. The main reason is poor leadership on all fronts. Yes, there are a few good ones left but the majority are not and have created a toxic culture despite all the talk about improving it. The ecosystem concept has failed. Time to start over.

Good luck with your search. Everyone I've talked with that has left is happy. The only way that place can get back to a good place is the clean house at the top. One suggestion is to start with Q.

It is well known that Genentech is not what it used to be. Most recruiters have heard this. Not a secret. The main reason is poor leadership on all fronts. Yes, there are a few good ones left but the majority are not and have created a toxic culture despite all the talk about improving it. The ecosystem concept has failed. Time to start over.

Good luck with your search. Everyone I've talked with that has left is happy. The only way that place can get back to a good place is the clean house at the top. One suggestion is to start with Q.

To start all over. Genentech needs to move from South San Francisco, to save itself.

To start all over. Genentech needs to move from South San Francisco, to save itself.

Will never happen.

For starters, how would they convince themselves that being LMNOP isn't mainstream.

Secondly, the leadership doesn't have to worry about performing. In a politics over performance culture, they will just spin off to another Bay Area start up and infect them with their thinking and hiring practices.

DNA will continue to be a revolving door for those just starting out or who have no other options.

None of these so called conversations during an interview ever happened. You really think any of us believe you? It’s fine if you want to come here and complain about your former employer, but making up stories doesn’t do much for you. It makes you look dishonest. Sorry you didn’t make it here, but please cut the bs.

None of these so called conversations during an interview ever happened. You really think any of us believe you? It’s fine if you want to come here and complain about your former employer, but making up stories doesn’t do much for you. It makes you look dishonest. Sorry you didn’t make it here, but please cut the bs.
Thanks to everyone who gave me some good advice. To this person who for whatever reason is hell bent on continuing to post the same suggestion that this was not true, while not helpful I at least appreciate your perspective. To others, I actually did get an offer for one of the companies, but still waiting for the other one which is the one I’d like. Both companies have former Genentech employees working at them, and it’s clear to me they haven’t shared great things. I have upcoming interviews as well and just want to be prepared in case it comes up. And btw I am still a Genentech employee, and was always loyal which is why I said it embarrassed me and I was looking for advice. Employed at Genentech 7 years now, and I have not been displaced (so I have “made it here”. So again, thanks for the insight, though it is incorrect.)

Thanks to everyone who gave me some good advice. To this person who for whatever reason is hell bent on continuing to post the same suggestion that this was not true, while not helpful I at least appreciate your perspective. To others, I actually did get an offer for one of the companies, but still waiting for the other one which is the one I’d like. Both companies have former Genentech employees working at them, and it’s clear to me they haven’t shared great things. I have upcoming interviews as well and just want to be prepared in case it comes up. And btw I am still a Genentech employee, and was always loyal which is why I said it embarrassed me and I was looking for advice. Employed at Genentech 7 years now, and I have not been displaced (so I have “made it here”. So again, thanks for the insight, though it is incorrect.)

You sound too good to be true. I don’t buy your phoniness for a second. Once, you land somewhere else. Lazy and entitlement follows with Gene employees.

You sound too good to be true. I don’t buy your phoniness for a second. Once, you land somewhere else. Lazy and entitlement follows with Gene employees.

There is always a internet tough guy out there that lives to make a blank statement to encompass everyone they hate into a neat group to hate on..

Good to know leadership reads these and is in denial on CP as well....

Why does Genentech horde and warehouse so many employees with degrees when their jobs entail then to sit down at a desk and click a mouse. Over glorified paper weights.