• Tue news: 23andMe CEO no longer open to takeover. mRNA vaccines may boost cancer immunotherapy. BMS beats $6.4B lawsuit. CVS Health layoffs and potential breakup. JNJ abandoning proposed 340b plan. See more on our front page

Open Letter To Merck Leadership

To the OP above: don't you agree that pharmaceutical companies have already figured out that the current system is broken? Why do you think there are now so many layoffs going on across the entire industry. Many companies have replaced reps. with telemarketing and telesampling. Some companies have assigned high potential accounts to regional business managers and medical liaisons therefore cutting the rep. out of the picture all together.

I do agree that the industry is in trouble. One thing that I will stand firm on is this: don't put all of the blame and your frustrations on district managers, CTL's, or regional business managers (same job - just different titles). There is no business anywhere in the U.S. that would just turn loose a team of sales people without someone @the helm.

One last thing: I am totally shocked that Merck has managers with so few reps. in the district. Most companies today are increasing the size of the districts (including multi-state geography). I am also shocked that Merck would allow a manager to fly into a territory every week. No wonder this once great company is on the skids!

Signed: Regional Business Manager

We should all honestly acknowledge the brutal truth. Sales representative provide very little true value to a physician's practice today. CTLs provide no value and Regional Business Managers provide ABSOLUTELY no value. The whole antiquated structure accomplishes nothing except to provide a tax write off against corporate profits.

There is truth to this post. Those involved in the named positions understandably want to resist or deny the brutal truth. The structure of pharmaceutical sales must change in response to the significant changes occurring in the healthcare market. I still maintain that P.Roy was ahead of his time in this regard.

With all this discussion we need to look at other industries. It is unheard of to have a manager with reps once or twice a month. Most industries have managers selling and helping reps as needed. No ride along days more than once every 6 months or so. Then its only a stop by, a call and a discussion over lunch...

Wasteful to have so many managers with experienced people....Give them other jobs including be a salesman.

With all this discussion we need to look at other industries. It is unheard of to have a manager with reps once or twice a month. Most industries have managers selling and helping reps as needed. No ride along days more than once every 6 months or so. Then its only a stop by, a call and a discussion over lunch...

Wasteful to have so many managers with experienced people....Give them other jobs including be a salesman.

Couldn't agree more...Merck's cookie-cutter approach to everything breeds inefficiencies and an employee base that will no longer care about their company or what they do for their company, as we can obviously see on this website.

So if calling on doctor every day to remind him or her to prescribe your product (when indicated, of course) results in more new prescriptions for your product, by all means, call on that doctor every day. Nobody at Merck should fault you for that. You may just get VP or some other award for your efforts. Don't lose sight of what is most important and that is driving more sales. If you can drive sales, that is your best insurance for keeping your job. Everything the OP said, while it may be 100% true and a valid assessment of conditions reps must contend with, it doesn't matter. Deal with it and sell more of your product in spite of it! That is what being a great rep is all about and will give greatest job satisfaction. Getting all bogged down and pissed off about what Merck "should" do and how the rep's job is a joke will only guarantee greatest job dissatisfaction and the rep's suboptimal performance and ultimate failure.

Driving sales is important?? Get real...what a laugh...when Merck wants to push you out due to age/salary, your sales don't mean squat...I was blowing my numbers out of the water every quarter, when the grim reaper CTL came for my head...(the harassment field visits became more frequent...)

you can kid yourself that good numbers will help you keep your silly drug rep job, but denial ain't just a river in Egypt...

Merck does not care about your numbers when they decide they want you out...

An Open Letter to Merck Leadership:

I am a Sales Representative in the Southeast Commercial Operations Group and am writing to you on behalf of many of my colleagues in the Southeast. In a recent video address, Mr. Ken Frazier said, “our size and complex operating model have created inefficiencies and redundancies in the way we do business.” In Focus Forward in the U.S. Market, Mr. Bob McMahon requested direct and transparent feedback in areas we succeed and areas in which we need to improve.

In that spirit, I wish to present, in a challenges/solutions format, an area of inefficiency and redundancy my fellow representatives and I are experiencing in our region, neighboring regions and perhaps all regions. The inefficiencies, discussed below, negatively affect not only our bottom line but how my fellow representatives and I make business decisions on a daily basis.

In my region we have eight Customer Team Leaders (CTLs), Sixty-ish representatives, two Medical Account Managers and, of course, one Director of Commercial Operations (DCO). The Region ratio of CTLs to Representatives is 1 to 7.75 with some CTLs managing six or less representatives. Incidentally, our neighboring region has virtually an identical ratio. An individual sales territory, within a district, consists of two CTLs and four representatives. The bottom line is CTLs are required to spend four days per week in the field with representatives. We simply have far too many managers and these managers do not have enough work to keep themselves occupied. The result is managers spending a minimum of two days and on many occasions three days per month with representatives.

Does this situation have a negative impact on our business and the way we make business decisions? Consider the following. In our district we have been asked to focus on and hyper-target our top HCPs. Spending time with those who can have the biggest impact on our business is a strategy we as representatives completely support. Unfortunately, we cannot implement this directive. In order to have an adequate pool of HCPs to accommodate the excess field visits it is necessary for us to develop relationships with everyone so we don’t subject the same high prescribing physicians to constant field visits. So, whether a physician prescribes one product X per year or one product X per hour these HCPs effectively have the same weight or value because we have to cultivate relationships with everyone. This situation is further exacerbated when you throw in the occasional field ride with a Director of Commercial Operations and/or a Medical Account Manager.

During any given month, CTLs are in every sales territory two of the four weeks. Our customers are getting weary of seeing managers as often as they do and are expressing their dissatisfaction. In the late 1990s our company, and industry, made a terrible decision by over-hiring. The result was representative fatigue by HCPs and lack of perceived value by our customers which led to reduced access and lock-outs in some cases. Despite the introduction of the Medical Account Manager, our region has not made any headway in reversing policies of restricted access. We are, once again, going down a similar path of overwhelming customers. This time it is with managers rather than representatives. One of my colleagues referred to this system as a pyramid scheme. How productive is our system when leadership feels they must baby sit representatives and representatives feel their job is to entertain leadership? As an organization we must do a better job at evaluating the laws of unintended consequences before implementing strategies affecting how we interact with our customers.

According to Customer Team leaders, the primary role of a CTL is that of a coach. If the average cost of a CTL (salary, benefits and expenses) is $180,000 per year, our region spends almost 1.5 million dollars per year on coaching – an outlandish sum by any reasonable standard. Additionally, how does our company justify paying a CTL to manage five or six representatives? Yester-year regions were filled with representatives in their twenties, many fresh out of college. Frequent managerial interaction was necessary to bring these inexperienced representatives along the sales continuum faster. Today, we do not have one representative in our region under the age of thirty. The vast majority of representatives are a bit gray with a few wrinkles and reading glasses close at hand. This demographic shift has resulted in a sales force with tremendous amounts of experience in this industry. While everyone can improve their craft, representatives do not need the excessive amount of managerial interaction we are forced to endure. Historically speaking, the Merck management team was once a highly skilled, wise group of leaders who knew when to help a representative and more importantly, knew when to get out of the way. Due to the situation described above, region leadership has become a laughing-stock in the eyes of too many representatives.

My solution is as follows: Regions should be combined, immediately. Early in my career, a Regional Business Director (today’s DCO) had two, three even four times as many representatives under their direction as compared to today. CTLs should have a bare minimum of twelve to twenty representatives to manage. Most of the administrative duties of CTLs could easily be handled by a region administrative assistant (approving expense reports, etc.) freeing CTLs up for coaching activities. Another idea is to put a detail bag in the hands of CTLs. Mandate that one day per week (in addition to their office day) CTLs call on customers who have lock-out or sign only in policies place. Perhaps the weight of a CTL title will prove beneficial reopening access to some of our most important customers.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Would add that the numbers of reps under a ctl could easily increase to 15+ due to the current technology & processes:

-- Expense reports are audited for the ctls and they just approve
-- Face-to-face meetings have been replaced by teleconferences
-- Recruiting is done through Inventiv
-- Little developing required as no one is getting promoted
-- Sample inventories are conducted by 3rd party
-- IRep easily tracks rep activity

You don't need many ctls to manage a large number of reps.

time will tell

Would add that the numbers of reps under a ctl could easily increase to 15+ due to the current technology & processes:

time will tell

So true.

time will tell

This is so accurate. So what do the current CTls do? Pleas answer. While you are at it, can you please explain what the hell MAEs do.

An Open Letter to Merck Leadership:

I am a Sales Representative in the Southeast Commercial Operations Group and am writing to you on behalf of many of my colleagues in the Southeast. In a recent video address, Mr. Ken Frazier said, “our size and complex operating model have created inefficiencies and redundancies in the way we do business.” In Focus Forward in the U.S. Market, Mr. Bob McMahon requested direct and transparent feedback in areas we succeed and areas in which we need to improve.

In that spirit, I wish to present, in a challenges/solutions format, an area of inefficiency and redundancy my fellow representatives and I are experiencing in our region, neighboring regions and perhaps all regions. The inefficiencies, discussed below, negatively affect not only our bottom line but how my fellow representatives and I make business decisions on a daily basis.

In my region we have eight Customer Team Leaders (CTLs), Sixty-ish representatives, two Medical Account Managers and, of course, one Director of Commercial Operations (DCO). The Region ratio of CTLs to Representatives is 1 to 7.75 with some CTLs managing six or less representatives. Incidentally, our neighboring region has virtually an identical ratio. An individual sales territory, within a district, consists of two CTLs and four representatives. The bottom line is CTLs are required to spend four days per week in the field with representatives. We simply have far too many managers and these managers do not have enough work to keep themselves occupied. The result is managers spending a minimum of two days and on many occasions three days per month with representatives.

Does this situation have a negative impact on our business and the way we make business decisions? Consider the following. In our district we have been asked to focus on and hyper-target our top HCPs. Spending time with those who can have the biggest impact on our business is a strategy we as representatives completely support. Unfortunately, we cannot implement this directive. In order to have an adequate pool of HCPs to accommodate the excess field visits it is necessary for us to develop relationships with everyone so we don’t subject the same high prescribing physicians to constant field visits. So, whether a physician prescribes one product X per year or one product X per hour these HCPs effectively have the same weight or value because we have to cultivate relationships with everyone. This situation is further exacerbated when you throw in the occasional field ride with a Director of Commercial Operations and/or a Medical Account Manager.

During any given month, CTLs are in every sales territory two of the four weeks. Our customers are getting weary of seeing managers as often as they do and are expressing their dissatisfaction. In the late 1990s our company, and industry, made a terrible decision by over-hiring. The result was representative fatigue by HCPs and lack of perceived value by our customers which led to reduced access and lock-outs in some cases. Despite the introduction of the Medical Account Manager, our region has not made any headway in reversing policies of restricted access. We are, once again, going down a similar path of overwhelming customers. This time it is with managers rather than representatives. One of my colleagues referred to this system as a pyramid scheme. How productive is our system when leadership feels they must baby sit representatives and representatives feel their job is to entertain leadership? As an organization we must do a better job at evaluating the laws of unintended consequences before implementing strategies affecting how we interact with our customers.

According to Customer Team leaders, the primary role of a CTL is that of a coach. If the average cost of a CTL (salary, benefits and expenses) is $180,000 per year, our region spends almost 1.5 million dollars per year on coaching – an outlandish sum by any reasonable standard. Additionally, how does our company justify paying a CTL to manage five or six representatives? Yester-year regions were filled with representatives in their twenties, many fresh out of college. Frequent managerial interaction was necessary to bring these inexperienced representatives along the sales continuum faster. Today, we do not have one representative in our region under the age of thirty. The vast majority of representatives are a bit gray with a few wrinkles and reading glasses close at hand. This demographic shift has resulted in a sales force with tremendous amounts of experience in this industry. While everyone can improve their craft, representatives do not need the excessive amount of managerial interaction we are forced to endure. Historically speaking, the Merck management team was once a highly skilled, wise group of leaders who knew when to help a representative and more importantly, knew when to get out of the way. Due to the situation described above, region leadership has become a laughing-stock in the eyes of too many representatives.

My solution is as follows: Regions should be combined, immediately. Early in my career, a Regional Business Director (today’s DCO) had two, three even four times as many representatives under their direction as compared to today. CTLs should have a bare minimum of twelve to twenty representatives to manage. Most of the administrative duties of CTLs could easily be handled by a region administrative assistant (approving expense reports, etc.) freeing CTLs up for coaching activities. Another idea is to put a detail bag in the hands of CTLs. Mandate that one day per week (in addition to their office day) CTLs call on customers who have lock-out or sign only in policies place. Perhaps the weight of a CTL title will prove beneficial reopening access to some of our most important customers.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Looks like they listened. Implementation on June 23rd!

Looks like they listened. Implementation on June 23rd!

No they have not listened completely. CTLs are the reason we are locked out and the company needs to find a better way to assess competencies with representatives. Oh, I don't know, how about by the numbers? Like other companies outside of pharma. Physicians believe we are self-serving and it's true. When my CTL is with me, I am more concerned about pleasing my CTL than thinking about what is right for my HCP.

Middle management could be cut 3/4 and no one would miss a beat. It took years for the company to figure out the large meetings were way to expensive for little return on investment. They have made a large investment with the CTLs and truthfully, with the exception a few, are truly WORTHLESS. I am amazed they are in these positions.

CTLs should only be in field with a rep once a quarter unless there is a problem. Based on the open letter post, our region sounds identical. 2 CTLs are in our few offices we have access in at least 8 days out of the month. My doctors are laughing now asking why I just don't give her the bag since she is in there so much. Not only is it embarassing, it is sad.

Oh well, it will change again and again and again until we have no offices available to reps.

These so called CTLs, MAEs, and DCOs are simply checking the box and don't know what leadership means or what it means to speak up. They have 4 year degrees from no name colleges and in these roles they think they are big shots using words like precision, focus, planning, safe to speak up, leadership, etc.

In fact most are insecure and jealous of smart career oriented reps. Coaching is the last thing they know about. In my 15 year career at merck, I have met 2 managers that I believe truly cared about me and would speak up.

I actually feel sorry for them because unlike many of us who view this job as a side job while we build our 2nd career(realestate, free classes, buying businesses), these CTls, DCOs, and the famous MAEs really think they are big shots with big salaries. If only they knew how they are viewed by other departments (MRL, USMA, etc)...a nobody.

It is sad but I am really forward to June 23rd. I guess differentiation is coming finally for this group.

These so called CTLs, MAEs, and DCOs are simply checking the box and don't know what leadership means or what it means to speak up. They have 4 year degrees from no name colleges and in these roles they think they are big shots using words like precision, focus, planning, safe to speak up, leadership, etc.

In fact most are insecure and jealous of smart career oriented reps. Coaching is the last thing they know about. In my 15 year career at merck, I have met 2 managers that I believe truly cared about me and would speak up.

I actually feel sorry for them because unlike many of us who view this job as a side job while we build our 2nd career(realestate, free classes, buying businesses), these CTls, DCOs, and the famous MAEs really think they are big shots with big salaries. If only they knew how they are viewed by other departments (MRL, USMA, etc)...a nobody.

It is sad but I am really forward to June 23rd. I guess differentiation is coming finally for this group.

Do we actually know this for a fact?? I find it hard to conceive that Merck would ever lay a hand on any of these CTLs, DCOs, MGMS, MAEs, etc…If they have kept them around this long, it illustrates the corruption that has kept them in place all this time…

Why would that really change now??

I think they call all look forward to many, many years of continuing to draw obscene salaries and benefits for doing little to nothing…

This is Merck after all...

You just described the western region with Jim welch and his circus clown CTL exec team. They are the most piss poor incoherent group ever assembled. They throw each other under the bus at every chance they get. They backstabbing like no one else. And then they stab their own district members who they don't like for whatever reason. I find it fitting that half of them will be gone.

They had no idea this was happening and all of a sudden it's a rush to do all these meaningless things like teleconferences. Welch did a sorry ass job yesterday. Nobody is engaged. And they all don't seen to understand why.

We'll let me tell you why-when you treat your employees like shit they will go to great lengths for bitch paybacks. Now is that time for you all and I love it.

The rancor you've caused the past several years will haunt all of you. For those thinking about their long term legacy with Merck-don't even go there. You have no legacy. You will all be remembered for the assholes you are. You think you've got friends within your district- you don't. Nobody can stand your sorry asses. Now it's your turn and we couldn't ask for anything better. It's been fun to listen to each of you their each other under the bus.

Now it's time to get run over-kind of what you've been doing to so many for a lot of years. And then you bragged about it to those around you.

One word: KARMA

be well you bunch of sycophants

We can't "honestly" justify how physicians benefit from seeing reps from the same company and/or with the same product(s) every month, every week, every other week, or whatever. That's the elephant in the room you dolt, so we don't want to go there. Let me ask, how do patients benefit from their physicians seeing reps from the same company and/or with the same products etc.etc? Let me answer, IT DOESN'T MATTER. What matters, and the only thing that matters is doing whatever sells more product. That is what keeps Merck in business. Don't ever forget it.

Don't you remember? It takes hearing the SAME message 11 times (but Jerry did blurt out 7 on a teleconference) to get through the the physicians? Don't you know that although they went through 4 yrs undergrad in a science major, 4 years of med school, 4-6 yrs internship, residency, & fellowship, they NEED us to teach them basic science, MOA (oops, most of us screw this one up), AEs (too hard to read from the pi), and they love to tell us about their kids, sports teams, trips, etc because they have so much time to chat. Don't forget that we have little to no managed care coverage but they can put through the PA with the help of their MA. We will never sell enough product but whatever we sell if absolutely great!

Driving sales is important?? Get real...what a laugh...when Merck wants to push you out due to age/salary, your sales don't mean squat...I was blowing my numbers out of the water every quarter, when the grim reaper CTL came for my head...(the harassment field visits became more frequent...)

you can kid yourself that good numbers will help you keep your silly drug rep job, but denial ain't just a river in Egypt...

Merck does not care about your numbers when they decide they want you out...

The truth is the "sales" are measured against "objective' based on a blind estimation using historical seasonally adjusted dollars with a kicker that factors in market events and formulary favorably. If the calculation favors you, January sales (reported typically in June) will exceed December PY sales and you are off to a roaring start. The trend may last throughout the year if the is no stretch objective that reduces your positive to a deep negative that you may not recover from by October.

Don't you remember? It takes hearing the SAME message 11 times (but Jerry did blurt out 7 on a teleconference) to get through the the physicians? Don't you know that although they went through 4 yrs undergrad in a science major, 4 years of med school, 4-6 yrs internship, residency, & fellowship, they NEED us to teach them basic science, MOA (oops, most of us screw this one up), AEs (too hard to read from the pi), and they love to tell us about their kids, sports teams, trips, etc because they have so much time to chat. Don't forget that we have little to no managed care coverage but they can put through the PA with the help of their MA. We will never sell enough product but whatever we sell if absolutely great!

Where is jerry? I miss him. Someone said he is in san quienten prison for boring sales reps during teleconferences with is 1970s sales tactics.

I am the poster of the original thread. In response to the "bravery" comment above, I did email this letter directly to Bob McMahon anonymously through a gmail account. Given sophisticated filters and administrative assistants acting as gatekeepers I have no idea if he received it or not. My regions advisory board member did forward this letter to Bob Yoder on my behalf though the Merck email system. I wish I would had the courage to identify myself to these members of senior management but the risk of retribution from my DCO and CTL is too high. My regions advisory board member recommended not forwarding it to our DCO. The advisory board member felt our DCO would become very defensive.

Someone I know has done something similar to this via a friend who no longer works for merck. Guess what....the CTL was gone within months and everyone on team got a phone call by DCO who was very concerned. HR also got a copy of letter. Things worked out great!!!

I hear you loud and clear about fearing management.

There is a simple solution to the problem: eliminate managers. This " coaching" function is a made up activity to give them something to do. Most are very bad at it, having never darkened the door of a training department since they were trainees. Eliminate the position altogether, saving a ton of cash, nepotism, favoritism, and all this field ride pressure on customers. Most if not all of the most important job activities have long ago been delegated out or automated away from managers anyway. They don't hire, are poor evaluators, things like expense report approval,training,speakers can and are being done on the regional level.They don't have key account responsibility. Have a regional trainer do field rides and report directly to the dco. This would be more objective, consistent, and cheaper. Probably more productive for the rep as well as the actual activity would be evaluated and not the job itself- the rep wouldn't feel constantly bullied and his job threatened.
The job of a manager is obsolete and should be eliminated. You can help that demise along by having the following conversation with your physicians:"Dr. Why do you see managers? If you think it's because it is helping the rep., rest assured, for the most part, it does not. Mangers take up a lot more of your time, don't know any more about diseases or products or treatments ( many times less) than the rep. And are here simply here to excerpt more pressure on you to write product not to help you practice better medicine. Now this is your office and you can do as you wish but if it was me I would no longer see managers as, if you really think about it, serve little purpose in coming into your office and provide you with little to no benefit."

This role doesn't exist in most other industries with working professionals, because there is no need to closely monitor the work of PROFESSIONALS!. That said I don't see the role going away because 1. there is a weird need to "promote" people based on "relationship" not talent. 2. It is used as a CYA with regulators (although having the role has NOT prevented large fines in nearly every pharma organization).

The solution would be to have reps report to the DCOs, who monitor activity remotely (as they are now. Hold training sessions as needed with a dedicated training staff, but make sure that the reps KNOW product and disease INSIDE OUT. The biggest reason that reps are being locked out of offices is that HCPs do not have time for the canned messages repeated over and over again. They are willing to discuss RELEVANT product and disease provided we KNOW WHAT WE ARE TALKING ABOUT! And PLEASE learn how to correctly pronounce the medical terms! And for the sake of the customers, eliminate the FV.

Do you realize the OP's comments are about problems and issues that have existed to some degree at Merck for years, if not entire pharma careers? Merck's problem with inefficiencies and waste reflect the same problem of our federal government. KF states complexity as the problem. I wish he would have included "needless" before complexity. The reps job is to drive business while keeping management apprised of and in touch with current market conditions. This creates opportunity for decentralized strategic marketing decisions to be made. It's not complex at all, that is, until Merck management makes it much more difficult with unnecessary distractions for the rep and attendant unproductive activity and inefficiencies. There simply are still too many positions in field sales that are not effectively serving the customer or driving business. I'm frankly amazed that as many physicians still see us given the joke that has been made of the rep's job. We've talked about being customer centric but have for the most part stubbornly refused to abandon a centralized one-size-fits-all approach to field sales management. CTL's must be in field 4 days per week riding with reps. WHY? To give them something to do? Not very smart or efficient. We must have pretty hapless reps if that much "coaching" is necessary on a regular basis. This has only fed our joke and hurt customer focus and relationships. The solution to our biggest problem requires strategic management at the local market level with field managers allowed to make strategic decisions. This requires abandoning the standard check-box mentality and trusting/empowering lowest level managers with decision making about how best to drive business in a given market. We've had this at times in the distant past but lost it when we became bloated with field sales employees. Individual markets require individual strategies for resource utilization to produce the greatest return on investment. This can't happen and won't happen until our upper management allows it to happen. Will it? I'm not optimistic since more heads will have to roll.

Well Said!

Two points; one an agreement another a complete disagreement.

1) Agreed that number of rep/mgr ratio can be increased ~12/CTL an ideal target
2) However (perhaps because I have had a really good CTL for some time now), appropriate leadership training is the solution. Removal is not the answer - managers are always needed. To remove them would be like sending a football team out without a Head Coach or Assistant Coaches. True, each player knows what to do but how would the game progress and what would the end-result be?

No really, the sports coaches have a defined role and goal. The CTLs primary purpose is to do "assessments" that are not qualified to do. They are bullied into reaching the same conclusion for each rep-even though they haven't met many of then. They also carry gossip throughout the district and most do not have the product/disease knowledge to assist a struggling rep. They serve to keep the status quo not challenge it.