• Tue news: 23andMe CEO no longer open to takeover. mRNA vaccines may boost cancer immunotherapy. BMS beats $6.4B lawsuit. CVS Health layoffs and potential breakup. JNJ abandoning proposed 340b plan. See more on our front page

Open Letter To Merck Leadership

Of course only reps, and no CTLs...While I admire the original poster's willingness to "stop the insanity" at Merck, it all just amounts to farts in the wind....

Merck knows exactly what the OP is saying...In a logical world, where up is up and down is down, Merck would jettison the masses of highly paid, useless CTLs, and make things run the way they should, aside from not continuing to piss of our customers with ridiculous "field visits."

Where the OP strays off point, is actually believing that the CTL's role is to "coach." (Yeah right--and Miley Cyrus is a major talent too.)

The whole role of the CTL, is to reverse the over-hiring that the OP references in his/her post. There were way way too many employees hired due to the pharma industry's greed, and now these companies are big , fat, slow and bloated...

The CTL earns their money with the field visits, (from now on lets call them what they are -- harassment opportunity visits) to force people out of their jobs...Let's drop the ridiculous pretense that CTLs are there to coach...most of these folks couldn't coach their way out of a Chucky Cheese restaurant.

Merck executives are perfectly happy keeping these folks in place...if they force out one or two reps a year, they have more than paid for themselves...Hitler had his brownshirts and SS...Merck has its CTLs...both were hired to be the muscle and thuggery for their leader.

Agreed. As a scientist, I can assure my Sales brothers-in-arms that this same exact culture of control and Gestapo policing pervades MRL. The middle management (Senior Directors) are not there to "coach" or inspire. Their job is to police and harass the ever-shrinking pool of bench scientists.

Their tools are layer upon layer of useless process, to the point where just about everyone will be out of compliance with one thing or another. At that point, the management selectively pounces on those they feel are "ripe" targets. They can pretty much select anyone, since it is virtually impossible to keep up with every pie-in-the-sky metric that has been set. A case can be fabricated against anyone, with the hope being that the individual will leave on their own. One less severance package to be paid out.

I applaud the OP's honesty and desire to improve the situation. But I also agree with the above poster: None of this is an accident, it is by strict design. The EC and BOD is well aware of what is occurring. They are the main architects of it! If you have taken enough classes in management and business, you know that corporate culture is set at the very top, and then trickles down to every layer of the organization. It is the same whether it is Sales, R&D, or MMD. Culture of strict control, distrust, fear, and retribution.

It was not always like this. It started 11-12 years ago. Accelerated rapidly after Vioxx. It is not going away. Senior leadership is not interested in improving the culture. They want to keep share prices high through every short-term fix possible, chop as many FTEs as they can, rake in their millions, and make a clean getaway. They are just like the Costa Concordia captain. They will show some slick moves to their girlfriend (the shareholders). Run the whole ship aground in the process. And then abandon ship while the passengers drown in their cabins. Those of you who have already left the good ship Merck, whether on your own or laid off, are the fortunate ones.

OP, You are wasting your time. No one cares what sales reps think! Reps are low level employees who are just bodies in the field.

Agreed! But not only that, the OP gave away our corporate structure to our competitors! And at a time when we are struggling! So I doubt that Merck Leadership is going to have respect for someone who did that.

An Open Letter to Merck Leadership:

I am a Sales Representative in the Southeast Commercial Operations Group and am writing to you on behalf of many of my colleagues in the Southeast. In a recent video address, Mr. Ken Frazier said, “our size and complex operating model have created inefficiencies and redundancies in the way we do business.” In Focus Forward in the U.S. Market, Mr. Bob McMahon requested direct and transparent feedback in areas we succeed and areas in which we need to improve.

In that spirit, I wish to present, in a challenges/solutions format, an area of inefficiency and redundancy my fellow representatives and I are experiencing in our region, neighboring regions and perhaps all regions. The inefficiencies, discussed below, negatively affect not only our bottom line but how my fellow representatives and I make business decisions on a daily basis.

In my region we have eight Customer Team Leaders (CTLs), Sixty-ish representatives, two Medical Account Managers and, of course, one Director of Commercial Operations (DCO). The Region ratio of CTLs to Representatives is 1 to 7.75 with some CTLs managing six or less representatives. Incidentally, our neighboring region has virtually an identical ratio. An individual sales territory, within a district, consists of two CTLs and four representatives. The bottom line is CTLs are required to spend four days per week in the field with representatives. We simply have far too many managers and these managers do not have enough work to keep themselves occupied. The result is managers spending a minimum of two days and on many occasions three days per month with representatives.

Does this situation have a negative impact on our business and the way we make business decisions? Consider the following. In our district we have been asked to focus on and hyper-target our top HCPs. Spending time with those who can have the biggest impact on our business is a strategy we as representatives completely support. Unfortunately, we cannot implement this directive. In order to have an adequate pool of HCPs to accommodate the excess field visits it is necessary for us to develop relationships with everyone so we don’t subject the same high prescribing physicians to constant field visits. So, whether a physician prescribes one product X per year or one product X per hour these HCPs effectively have the same weight or value because we have to cultivate relationships with everyone. This situation is further exacerbated when you throw in the occasional field ride with a Director of Commercial Operations and/or a Medical Account Manager.

During any given month, CTLs are in every sales territory two of the four weeks. Our customers are getting weary of seeing managers as often as they do and are expressing their dissatisfaction. In the late 1990s our company, and industry, made a terrible decision by over-hiring. The result was representative fatigue by HCPs and lack of perceived value by our customers which led to reduced access and lock-outs in some cases. Despite the introduction of the Medical Account Manager, our region has not made any headway in reversing policies of restricted access. We are, once again, going down a similar path of overwhelming customers. This time it is with managers rather than representatives. One of my colleagues referred to this system as a pyramid scheme. How productive is our system when leadership feels they must baby sit representatives and representatives feel their job is to entertain leadership? As an organization we must do a better job at evaluating the laws of unintended consequences before implementing strategies affecting how we interact with our customers.

According to Customer Team leaders, the primary role of a CTL is that of a coach. If the average cost of a CTL (salary, benefits and expenses) is $180,000 per year, our region spends almost 1.5 million dollars per year on coaching – an outlandish sum by any reasonable standard. Additionally, how does our company justify paying a CTL to manage five or six representatives? Yester-year regions were filled with representatives in their twenties, many fresh out of college. Frequent managerial interaction was necessary to bring these inexperienced representatives along the sales continuum faster. Today, we do not have one representative in our region under the age of thirty. The vast majority of representatives are a bit gray with a few wrinkles and reading glasses close at hand. This demographic shift has resulted in a sales force with tremendous amounts of experience in this industry. While everyone can improve their craft, representatives do not need the excessive amount of managerial interaction we are forced to endure. Historically speaking, the Merck management team was once a highly skilled, wise group of leaders who knew when to help a representative and more importantly, knew when to get out of the way. Due to the situation described above, region leadership has become a laughing-stock in the eyes of too many representatives.

My solution is as follows: Regions should be combined, immediately. Early in my career, a Regional Business Director (today’s DCO) had two, three even four times as many representatives under their direction as compared to today. CTLs should have a bare minimum of twelve to twenty representatives to manage. Most of the administrative duties of CTLs could easily be handled by a region administrative assistant (approving expense reports, etc.) freeing CTLs up for coaching activities. Another idea is to put a detail bag in the hands of CTLs. Mandate that one day per week (in addition to their office day) CTLs call on customers who have lock-out or sign only in policies place. Perhaps the weight of a CTL title will prove beneficial reopening access to some of our most important customers.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

DEAR SALES REPRESENTATIVE:

I do not work at Merck; I came to your site to read information regarding upcoming layoffs. I am a regional business manager at another pharmaceutical company so I was surely interested in your recommendation above. While I do agree that district managers or CTLs as they are called at Merck should have the capacity to manage a minimum of 8 reps. and a maximum of 12, your article above reeks of a whining cry baby who just really does not want his or her manager to come for a field ride. A manager's role @most companies is to drive business and develop representatives. Yes, there is a lot of other duties that go along with this job in addition to the things you mention like: approving expense reports. Most people have no clue as to the work load that a DM carries. It may look very easy from those on the outside, but trust me it isn't.

If any of your physicians have indeed complained to you about your manager coming into the office too frequently, then have an honest discussion with your manager. Perhaps the manager could sit in the waiting room while you go back to detail. The manager could always take part in pre-call planning and post-call analysis with you in these instances. Another solution would be to just not take your manager to see the "complaining" physicians on a too frequent basis. Of course, make your manager aware as to why you are not taking him or her to those particular offices every field ride.

You also mentioned the problem of having to see and develop relationships with all physicians regardless of their potential (based on the field rides). That is simply ridiculous. No experienced manager would ask you to call on low potential physicians FOR ANY REASON.

While you feel that the CTL to rep. ratio is skewed, CTL's at Merck make too much money for what they do, and do not have enough to keep them busy, your assessment above sounds like it was written by an immature representative who simply does not want to be coached nor developed. The pharmaceutical industry is more than likely not the place for you.

Signed,
Current Regional Business Manager

Since this OP is the most direct communication I have read on a chat room site, I can only predict that the company will spend considerable resources determining who posted it and fire them (or the five folks that most closely fit the facts. The company is not interested in the truth or any employee's path forward. They want acquiescence from the staff and they would prefer to keep the dirty little secret of their ineptitudecompletely quiet. Since all pharma have policies forbidding posting to these sites, they won't just terminate the employee, they will terminate with cause.

I hope that you get away with the post and that others feel the need to express candid opinions. But I encourage all to edit their posts to make them effectively impossible to place. The original poster shows courage but Merck would have no problem taking action against another probable 4-5 merely to ensure that they got the correct poster.

What many reps don't realize is that these companies are not democracies but dictatorships. Sometimes they are tyrannical in nature. For the most part managements' don't want the truth. Because they can't handle the truth.

I do not work at Merck; I came to your site to read information regarding upcoming layoffs. I am a regional business manager at another pharmaceutical company so I was surely interested in your recommendation above. While I do agree that district managers or CTLs as they are called at Merck should have the capacity to manage a minimum of 8 reps. and a maximum of 12, your article above reeks of a whining cry baby who just really does not want his or her manager to come for a field ride. A manager's role @most companies is to drive business and develop representatives. Yes, there is a lot of other duties that go along with this job in addition to the things you mention like: approving expense reports. Most people have no clue as to the work load that a DM carries. It may look very easy from those on the outside, but trust me it isn't.

If any of your physicians have indeed complained to you about your manager coming into the office too frequently, then have an honest discussion with your manager. Perhaps the manager could sit in the waiting room while you go back to detail. The manager could always take part in pre-call planning and post-call analysis with you in these instances. Another solution would be to just not take your manager to see the "complaining" physicians on a too frequent basis. Of course, make your manager aware as to why you are not taking him or her to those particular offices every field ride.

You also mentioned the problem of having to see and develop relationships with all physicians regardless of their potential (based on the field rides). That is simply ridiculous. No experienced manager would ask you to call on low potential physicians FOR ANY REASON.

While you feel that the CTL to rep. ratio is skewed, CTL's at Merck make too much money for what they do, and do not have enough to keep them busy, your assessment above sounds like it was written by an immature representative who simply does not want to be coached nor developed. The pharmaceutical industry is more than likely not the place for you.

Signed,

With all due respect to you - RBM. The rep makes a good point here in the manager/rep ratio. If those ratios are correct it is over kill. If the rep is as you say whining the RBM may be whining as well defending an unproductive situation. Is the kettle calling the pot black?

Agreed! But not only that, the OP gave away our corporate structure to our competitors! And at a time when we are struggling! So I doubt that Merck Leadership is going to have respect for someone who did that.

Jeez, you may have a point here. But perhaps our competitors might be able to avoid subjecting us current Merck employees to burdensome rendition techniques merely by chatting with just a few of the tens of thousands that have exited Merck over the last 10 years. Many of whom know a lot more about the institutional incompetence than anyone person can write to this site. Any given that Merck rarely appreciated those that it possessed and quickly scorned those that fell out of favor, it might be ridiculously easy to discover some that harbor ill feelings to the "Mother". Merck has no secrets, beneficial or not. But they also rank near the bottom in true personnel engagement, loyalty, and attractiveness to outside talent. The problem with Merck is not its historical ineptness, it is that it is totally unprepared to turn the sinking ship around, to mix a couple of metaphors.

What is stunning is that Wall Street seems to talk about the bright future of Merck when the current employees see only dark days ahead. These sharks on Wall Street are not dopey. Surely they know enough to read sites such as these. One can only assume that there is a master con game going on with pharma and its W.S. masters. To the detriment of the causal investor and certainly without any consideration of the calamity that awaits those employees that wait too long.

Please tell me you were joking. Sorry to burst your bubble, but Merck's corporate structure is not some cool Delta Force, top-secret, cutting-edge protocol that you make it out to be. It is a bland, uninspired, non-innovative corporate house of cards...that will soon enough implode under the weigh of its own bullsh!t. Corporate structure does not reveal anything to our competitors that they have not already seen for themselves, from the grumblings of thousands of laid off workers.

But I do agree with your sentiment that Merck Leadership will not respect anything the OP had to say here. Not because he/she revealed any secrets. Please. It's because Merck Leadership and "respect" are an oxymoron. They do not respect anything except the linings of their own wallets. Forget about hanging the employees out to dry, that is not the interesting part. The shareholders are also being duped...although they may not know it yet. This is the pharmaceutical sequel to Enron. It will happen sooner than you think.

I know a manager in CA with 7 direct reports.....2 of them Re job share so that means 6 people reporting. It is so not right for the customer. Access is tough, doctors feel pressure to see more pt to make profit and reps feel intrusive as it is esp with a manager.

I admire and respect the original post. Ths post could not have come from ass kissing LER.

Yes way too many managers and too many MAE with no updates on what they are doing or have done.

Please, can someone "honestly" justify how busy overworked physicians benefit from seeing a rep from the same company with same products every 2-4 weeks? Isn't this the real issue and problem? With fewer physicians it only gets worse.

How about the hospital CTL in the midwest that is allowed to live in Denver but has responsibility for the Chicago, St Louis and Kansas City reps? He flies into his territory EVERY Monday, staying in Marriott properties, expensing all meals, rental cars, taxis, and limo service? If MS is such a great DCO with acute business acumen, how does he let this go on now for FIVE years?

An Open Letter to Merck Leadership:

I am a Sales Representative in the Southeast Commercial Operations Group and am writing to you on behalf of many of my colleagues in the Southeast. In a recent video address, Mr. Ken Frazier said, “our size and complex operating model have created inefficiencies and redundancies in the way we do business.” In Focus Forward in the U.S. Market, Mr. Bob McMahon requested direct and transparent feedback in areas we succeed and areas in which we need to improve.

In that spirit, I wish to present, in a challenges/solutions format, an area of inefficiency and redundancy my fellow representatives and I are experiencing in our region, neighboring regions and perhaps all regions. The inefficiencies, discussed below, negatively affect not only our bottom line but how my fellow representatives and I make business decisions on a daily basis.

In my region we have eight Customer Team Leaders (CTLs), Sixty-ish representatives, two Medical Account Managers and, of course, one Director of Commercial Operations (DCO). The Region ratio of CTLs to Representatives is 1 to 7.75 with some CTLs managing six or less representatives. Incidentally, our neighboring region has virtually an identical ratio. An individual sales territory, within a district, consists of two CTLs and four representatives. The bottom line is CTLs are required to spend four days per week in the field with representatives. We simply have far too many managers and these managers do not have enough work to keep themselves occupied. The result is managers spending a minimum of two days and on many occasions three days per month with representatives.

Does this situation have a negative impact on our business and the way we make business decisions? Consider the following. In our district we have been asked to focus on and hyper-target our top HCPs. Spending time with those who can have the biggest impact on our business is a strategy we as representatives completely support. Unfortunately, we cannot implement this directive. In order to have an adequate pool of HCPs to accommodate the excess field visits it is necessary for us to develop relationships with everyone so we don’t subject the same high prescribing physicians to constant field visits. So, whether a physician prescribes one product X per year or one product X per hour these HCPs effectively have the same weight or value because we have to cultivate relationships with everyone. This situation is further exacerbated when you throw in the occasional field ride with a Director of Commercial Operations and/or a Medical Account Manager.

During any given month, CTLs are in every sales territory two of the four weeks. Our customers are getting weary of seeing managers as often as they do and are expressing their dissatisfaction. In the late 1990s our company, and industry, made a terrible decision by over-hiring. The result was representative fatigue by HCPs and lack of perceived value by our customers which led to reduced access and lock-outs in some cases. Despite the introduction of the Medical Account Manager, our region has not made any headway in reversing policies of restricted access. We are, once again, going down a similar path of overwhelming customers. This time it is with managers rather than representatives. One of my colleagues referred to this system as a pyramid scheme. How productive is our system when leadership feels they must baby sit representatives and representatives feel their job is to entertain leadership? As an organization we must do a better job at evaluating the laws of unintended consequences before implementing strategies affecting how we interact with our customers.

According to Customer Team leaders, the primary role of a CTL is that of a coach. If the average cost of a CTL (salary, benefits and expenses) is $180,000 per year, our region spends almost 1.5 million dollars per year on coaching – an outlandish sum by any reasonable standard. Additionally, how does our company justify paying a CTL to manage five or six representatives? Yester-year regions were filled with representatives in their twenties, many fresh out of college. Frequent managerial interaction was necessary to bring these inexperienced representatives along the sales continuum faster. Today, we do not have one representative in our region under the age of thirty. The vast majority of representatives are a bit gray with a few wrinkles and reading glasses close at hand. This demographic shift has resulted in a sales force with tremendous amounts of experience in this industry. While everyone can improve their craft, representatives do not need the excessive amount of managerial interaction we are forced to endure. Historically speaking, the Merck management team was once a highly skilled, wise group of leaders who knew when to help a representative and more importantly, knew when to get out of the way. Due to the situation described above, region leadership has become a laughing-stock in the eyes of too many representatives.

My solution is as follows: Regions should be combined, immediately. Early in my career, a Regional Business Director (today’s DCO) had two, three even four times as many representatives under their direction as compared to today. CTLs should have a bare minimum of twelve to twenty representatives to manage. Most of the administrative duties of CTLs could easily be handled by a region administrative assistant (approving expense reports, etc.) freeing CTLs up for coaching activities. Another idea is to put a detail bag in the hands of CTLs. Mandate that one day per week (in addition to their office day) CTLs call on customers who have lock-out or sign only in policies place. Perhaps the weight of a CTL title will prove beneficial reopening access to some of our most important customers.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Two modifications to the plan:
1. CTL's should have a minimum of 20 reps, more if they're tenured.
2. Scrap the CTL-selling thing. My fat, bald and ugly CTL drags his trailer trash twang and horrible sense of humor into the offices I select to suffer through him now and they can't stand him, just as I can't. He can't sell to save his life and want him to go back to the scorched earth district from which he came (he about ruined that district, or what's left of them) and never talk to me again. Yuk. He disgusts me. It's hard to fake the smiles.

Please, can someone "honestly" justify how busy overworked physicians benefit from seeing a rep from the same company with same products every 2-4 weeks? Isn't this the real issue and problem? With fewer physicians it only gets worse.

Ha, in my territory there are 3 reps in a 7 day routing selling same product. The Drs are sick of us. It is embarrassing! One Dr asked me Fri "really? One of your counterparts was here yesterday and one this morning now you are here for a lunch?" (I did not set this lunch up my counterpart did)

How do they expect us to work a full day? We do not have enough Drs to see. CTL knows it but if some of us are gone, who will they manage? Ride On!

We can't "honestly" justify how physicians benefit from seeing reps from the same company and/or with the same product(s) every month, every week, every other week, or whatever. That's the elephant in the room you dolt, so we don't want to go there. Let me ask, how do patients benefit from their physicians seeing reps from the same company and/or with the same products etc.etc? Let me answer, IT DOESN'T MATTER. What matters, and the only thing that matters is doing whatever sells more product. That is what keeps Merck in business. Don't ever forget it.

So if calling on doctor every day to remind him or her to prescribe your product (when indicated, of course) results in more new prescriptions for your product, by all means, call on that doctor every day. Nobody at Merck should fault you for that. You may just get VP or some other award for your efforts. Don't lose sight of what is most important and that is driving more sales. If you can drive sales, that is your best insurance for keeping your job. Everything the OP said, while it may be 100% true and a valid assessment of conditions reps must contend with, it doesn't matter. Deal with it and sell more of your product in spite of it! That is what being a great rep is all about and will give greatest job satisfaction. Getting all bogged down and pissed off about what Merck "should" do and how the rep's job is a joke will only guarantee greatest job dissatisfaction and the rep's suboptimal performance and ultimate failure.

So if calling on doctor every day to remind him or her to prescribe your product (when indicated, of course) results in more new prescriptions for your product, by all means, call on that doctor every day. Nobody at Merck should fault you for that. You may just get VP or some other award for your efforts. Don't lose sight of what is most important and that is driving more sales. If you can drive sales, that is your best insurance for keeping your job. Everything the OP said, while it may be 100% true and a valid assessment of conditions reps must contend with, it doesn't matter. Deal with it and sell more of your product in spite of it! That is what being a great rep is all about and will give greatest job satisfaction. Getting all bogged down and pissed off about what Merck "should" do and how the rep's job is a joke will only guarantee greatest job dissatisfaction and the rep's suboptimal performance and ultimate failure.

How true. Easier said than done, however.

Signed,

We should all honestly acknowledge the brutal truth. Sales representative provide very little true value to a physician's practice today. CTLs provide no value and Regional Business Managers provide ABSOLUTELY no value. The whole antiquated structure accomplishes nothing except to provide a tax write off against corporate profits.