• Tue news: 23andMe CEO no longer open to takeover. mRNA vaccines may boost cancer immunotherapy. BMS beats $6.4B lawsuit. CVS Health layoffs and potential breakup. JNJ abandoning proposed 340b plan. See more on our front page

Open Letter to Ken Frazier

Anonymous

Dear Mr. Frazier:

I have reviewed your career as posted on the Merck website, and you appear to be a man of integrity and principle based on how you have chosen to spend your time. In each person's life there are a series of decisions that can cause their life to rise like a crescendo to one tremendous opportunity, or fall like a diminuendo into a silent boring subsistence. Perhaps your career has lead you to this opportunity.

I would suggest you take 30 seconds, and read T.S. Eliot's classic poem, The Hollow Men. (http://poetry.poetryx.com/poems/784/). Merck has become The Hollow Company:

"Shape without form, shade without colour,
Paralysed force, gesture without motion;"

Perhaps you can revive the spirit and soul of this once great company: I pray you can do so.

At one time, the research labs were the life force of the company. Over the last decade, under the leadership of Peter Kim, this is no longer the case. I would urge you to do an objective review of his specific accomplishments. From a former insider, now an outsider (by MY choice), they are meager. The culture is destroyed; most innovative people have left; he has built a team that values "process" above creativity; people are not empowered to own decisions; the pipeline suffered so badly that an acquisition was required; hundreds of millions were spent on companies like Rosetta, Glycofi, Sirna, while the core competencies of the company (small molecules) was gutted and destroyed. An interesting exercise I would suggest for you - evaluate EVERY one of the pipeline programs brought in from Schering. Each existed at Merck (since Catherine Strader initiated most of them once she left Merck Rahway many years ago). Under Peter's leadership, each of them were stopped at Merck. Please do not rely on Peter's team to provide you with the data: they have a perverse incentive to tell you that is not the case, or to blame scapegoats that they have sent from the camp to slaughter.

To conclude, I believe that the single most important thing you can do is separate Peter Kim and most of his direct reports. MRL is now ready for new blood. After a decade of the experiment of taking an academic scientist to run the labs, the conclusion is clear. It has failed. It is an experiment done repeatedly through the years, and almost without exception, it has failed. The one exception that comes to mind is Fishman, perhaps. Perlmutter has succeeded once he had several years of training running Rahway.

<

Great poem. Poetry is a window to the soul. People want thier work to have meaning. Sadly Merck is all about "process", refuge of the coward. I come from sales. There was a research study done by IMS in Oct. 2009 ("Using valued delivered to offices as a key metric of sales force performance") that determined that representatives that used a "value based approach to customers" increased performance by 3.5 TRx share points. "Frequency of use of materials had no statistical correlation to market share." Yet all companies continue to abdicate to "capture metrics" (what can be reported in call data) on "reach", "frequency" and other inane metrics that IT can develop software around and managers can use to beat in the heads of reps while physicians continue to decline to see reps. I too have left Merck-not by choice. But I have other opportunities.
Nice try on the "open letter" but my gut tells me Ken Frazier will "hunker and bunker" and become just another advocate for the status quo.

Take a look at the entire pharmaceutical world.
All the big drug companies were shut out of new FDA approvals in 2009.
It isn't just Merck, every big drug company has had major problems finding the next big blockbuster for the past 10 years.

To blame it on one guy, Kim, ignores the fact that every one of his peers at other companies has failed too.

All the easy compounds have been done. The new model should be licensing and buying small biotechs, which is a huge failure of Merck's strategy and BD departments.

Several solid peer reviewed studies indicate that not a SINGLE big pharma company has the ability to sustain itself for longer than another 5 to 10 years. That's a fact. There is not enough R&D/NDAs/New compounds and their is no money to develop them. This is the true downfall of our healthcare system. It will take innovation, partnerships and guts in leadership to find a way to ensure these companies become part of tomorrow's profitable clinical research enterprise. To do the same thing as we have done in the past is to go down the tubes in a very short period of time. Screw the pensions that everyone thinks will be there. Those will be gone too.

Take a look at the entire pharmaceutical world.
All the big drug companies were shut out of new FDA approvals in 2009.
It isn't just Merck, every big drug company has had major problems finding the next big blockbuster for the past 10 years.

To blame it on one guy, Kim, ignores the fact that every one of his peers at other companies has failed too.

All the easy compounds have been done. The new model should be licensing and buying small biotechs, which is a huge failure of Merck's strategy and BD departments.

Well, Peter, this IS a posting board about Merck, not about the failure of pharma. And to say, yes, but everyone else failed too...is a little ridiculous. Weren't you paid (handsomely) to make MRL successful? I couldn't agree more with the perception of strategy and BD failing, but aren't you ultimately responsible? Were they executing their own strategy independent of what you thought? Ex-Merck people tell me that you set the strategy. No?

Well, Peter, this IS a posting board about Merck, not about the failure of pharma. And to say, yes, but everyone else failed too...is a little ridiculous. Weren't you paid (handsomely) to make MRL successful? I couldn't agree more with the perception of strategy and BD failing, but aren't you ultimately responsible? Were they executing their own strategy independent of what you thought? Ex-Merck people tell me that you set the strategy. No?

Oh he has been paid handsomely alright. But the return on the investment in him has been ugly. Check out compensation for 2009. I'm sure he made more last year. Why? You tell me.

HEALTH CARE SECTOR | PHARMACEUTICALS INDUSTRYMERCK & CO. INC.
(MRK:New York)
LAST $37.35 USDCHANGE TODAY +0.29 0.78%VOLUME 12.8MMRK On Other ExchangesAs of 8:04 PM 01/7/11 All times are local (Market data is delayed by at least 15 minutes).
SnapshotNewsChartsFinancialsEarningsPeopleOwnershipTransactionsOptions
OverviewBoard MembersCommittees EXECUTIVE PROFILE*
Peter S. Kim Ph.D.
Executive Vice President and President of Merck Research Laboratories, Merck & Co. Inc.
Age Total Annual Compensation This person is connected to 0 board members in 0 different organizations across 4 different industries.

51 $1,066,004 USD
As of Fiscal Year 2009
BACKGROUND*
Peter S. Kim PhD has been the President of Merck Research Laboratories at Merck & Co. Inc. and Merck Frosst Canada Ltd. since January 2003. Dr. Kim has been an Executive Vice President of Merck & Co. Inc. since January 2008. He is a Scientific Co-Founder of Osel Inc. He served as an Executive Vice President of Research and Development at MRL from 2001 to 2002. He served as an Associate Head of Department of Biology at MIT from 1999 to 2001, Investigator of Howard Hughes ... Medical Institute from 1997 to 2001, Professor of Biology at M.I.T., from 1995 to 2001, Associate Professor of Biology at M.I.T., from 1992 to 1995, Assistant Investigator at Howard Hughes Medical Institute from 1990 to 1993, Assistant Professor of Biology at M.I.T., from 1988 to 1992 and Whitehead Fellow, Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Research from 1985 to 1988. Dr. Kim has been a Member of Board of Directors of Fox Chase Cancer Center since 2003 and Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Research since 2005. He served as a Member of Oversight Committee, Division on Earth and Life Studies, The National Academies from 2006 to 2008 and also as a Member of Council, Institute of Medicine, National Academy of Sciences, from 2006 to 2008. He has been a Member of National Academy of Sciences since 1997, Fellow of American Academy of Microbiology since 1997, Fellow of American Association for the Advancement of Science since 1999, Member of Korean Academy of Science and Technology since 1999, Fellow of Biophysical Society since 1999 and a Member of Institute of Medicine, National Academy of Sciences since 2000. He served as a Member of Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Research from 1992 to 2001. Dr. Kim received National Academy of Sciences Award in Molecular Biology in 1993, Eli Lilly Award in Biological Chemistry in 1994, Dupont Merck Young Investigator Award in 1994, Pfizer Animal Health Award in 1995, Ho-Am Prize for Basic Science, Samsung Foundation in 1998, Hans Neurath Award, Protein Society in 1999 and Harvey Lecture, The Harvey Society in 2002. He was a member of The Whitehead Institute Dr. Kim holds Ph.D., in Biochemistry from Stanford University in 1985 and A.B. in Chemistry from Cornell University in 1979.

Read Full Background

CORPORATE HEADQUARTERS*
One Merck Drive
Whitehouse Station, New Jersey 08889-0100

United States

Phone: 908-423-1000
Fax: 908-298-7082
Board Members MEMBERSHIPS*
There is no Board Members Memberships data available.
EDUCATION*
PhD 1985
Stanford University
BA 1979
Cornell University
OTHER AFFILIATIONS*
Stanford University
Cornell University
Merck Research Laboratories
Merck Frosst Canada Ltd.
Osel Inc. ANNUAL COMPENSATION*
Salary $1,066,004
Total Annual Compensation $1,066,004

STOCK OPTIONS*
Restricted Stock Awards $580,800
All Other Compensation $36,477
Exercisable Options 891,221
Exercisable Values $609,200
Total Value of Options $3,541,360
Total Number of Options 1,230,421

TOTAL COMPENSATION*
Total Annual Cash Compensation $2,177,620
Total Short Term Compensation $1,066,004
Other Long Term Compensation $617,277
Total Calculated Compensation $4,147,401

*Data is at least as current as the most recent Definitive Proxy.

Couldn't speak more eloquently than that. Peter Kim and his team, EC1 to 4, should go.

Ever since the acquisition of SP, it does not take a genius to figure that one out. SP and Organon, had half as much in cash, half the brain power in R&D, and yet they accomplish almost as much as Merck. SP learned from past mistakes that you can do a lot with little resource by shear determination and hard work. Fred Hassan had something to do with that, unfortunately he didn't have the gut to stay and build the company further. The man is a weasel, he rather cashed in and run for the next opportunity. Perhaps, he knows he doesn't have the skills to sustain growth. "Repair, stabilize, build the base and break out" was his expertise, but he never admitted that "break out" in his vocabulary meant sell, cash in and run.

Peter should learn from Fred. He made his millions already, it's time to cut loose and take his henchmen with him. Let's hope the next guy is better.

Dr. Kim had much to overcome when he arrived at MRL. In light of that, however, his performance must be regarded as below expectations. Funny how that didn't seem to affect his comp as much as it did mine if I received a "below expectations" performance review. Welcome to the real world.

Dr. Kim had much to overcome when he arrived at MRL. In light of that, however, his performance must be regarded as below expectations. Funny how that didn't seem to affect his comp as much as it did mine if I received a "below expectations" performance review. Welcome to the real world.

You mean he had to overcome his total lack of experience and leadership skills? I don't see any evidence he did overcome that