• Thurs news: Sage R&D layoffs. Another Sanofi radiopharma deal. Novartis loses bid to block generic. Kezar lupus trial stopped. Why are so many pharmacies closing. See more on our front page

Novartis wiped out entire salesforce

they'll be reps but not nearly as many..20 years ago it was 1 rep per territory, an average state say VA, MO, NC , OR might have a total of 12-15 reps in the WHOLE state..covering every doc and hospital....if you're the last rep with 200 miles between you and the next guy you may be safe.

Yep, and those were the good ole days!

Maybe, except most of our drs don't keep up with new meds and educate themselves, at least in diabetes. With the two main launches in 2014, I only had a couple drs who even knew or had read about the pen or Far. We still have drs who don't understand incretins. So, everyone may think they can keep up without us, but they just don't do it.

In the few clinics we have that are closed, those providers don't show up for writing anything in the newer classes. They could just like all the others we call on, but they don't. We don't get a lot of samples, so it isn't just sample dropping. Theoretically, you are right, but it isn't what is happening here.

If my or my wife or parent's doctor acted (decided what to prescribe) based on what a company sales representative told him to do I would fire him as my doctor.

He is supposed to be a Doctor of Medicine.

That's right. But when they don't keep up with the changes in medicine and treating illnesses, their MD is outdated. As long as an older, generic option works for the patient, that's great. But when patients are missing out on newer choices they may need, just because the provider hasn't done his/her job to stay current, that is not fair to the customer, the patient.

If I go to a doctor or someone in my family needs a doctor, I expect them to be current and able to help choose the treatment that is appropriate and effective for me. That is what I pay them for. I did not say they should choose what the sales rep said.

Like it or not, there are plenty of ways to practice medicine. There are also plenty of drs who still practice like it is the year 2000.

If my or my wife or parent's doctor acted (decided what to prescribe) based on what a company sales representative told him to do I would fire him as my doctor.

Wake up call. Sorry to have to inform you of this, but VERY FEW individuals boasting a Doctor of Medicine degree ACTUALLY keep up with all the advances in medicine across all disease states ON THEIR OWN. Most attend the minimum amount of required additional education each year, and that is IT! Most continue to treat illnesses the same way they have in the past, within their own comfort zone, even if that is 15 or 20 years outdated. They still get paid, remember???? Maybe you should fire the MDs who refuse to consider all of the appropriate treatment options for you and your family, then choosing the one that is most likely to effectively and safely treat the illness.

Wake up call. Sorry to have to inform you of this, but VERY FEW individuals boasting a Doctor of Medicine degree ACTUALLY keep up with all the advances in medicine across all disease states ON THEIR OWN. Most attend the minimum amount of required additional education each year, and that is IT! Most continue to treat illnesses the same way they have in the past, within their own comfort zone, even if that is 15 or 20 years outdated. They still get paid, remember???? Maybe you should fire the MDs who refuse to consider all of the appropriate treatment options for you and your family, then choosing the one that is most likely to effectively and safely treat the illness.

Very accurate comments! Most docs do practice the way the learned many years ago. My guess is that 90% or more are so behind in being up to date, that it's scary. Most docs are actually dangerous, and incompetent!

A doc relying on a drug rep for education would be scary...we PROMOTE the latest and greatest we got to offer (ie. Nexium vs Prilosec , now there was some "education' to be done there)...who educated the drug reps? their college? some licensing board? an 'pay for' internet 800 tel. number site? ..Oh, the company we work for 'educated' us reps in a level headed, non-biased, science based method in order to educate those ignorant docs about modern medicine...

Share of voice, micro territories are all about sales and greed, not education or doing the right thing. I have seen so much off label selling in my career, nonsensical demands from upper management for more and more market share. Lot's of ethical lapses at every level and fines of half a billion or more. AZ has had serial corporate integrity agreements selling me too drugs.

Time for pharma reps to go away. It won't happen quickly but will be a slow death.

Will be a slow death or has been a slow death???

Things have dropping slowly and steadily since "The BEST in 03!" Campaign started. remember that one? When Crestor and Iressa were proven to be the "not game changers"? That's when the Prilosec/Nexium fund could no longer fund the dreams of untalented, no nothing management types. The Better Empty Some Territories plan started in 03 to thin the heard and it's been going on silently since. It moves at a glacial pace so you don't realize it happens until it's right on your doorstep and ready to crush your world.

It's been happening all along....you just don't see it

Will be a slow death or has been a slow death???

Things have dropping slowly and steadily since "The BEST in 03!" Campaign started. remember that one? When Crestor and Iressa were proven to be the "not game changers"? That's when the Prilosec/Nexium fund could no longer fund the dreams of untalented, no nothing management types. The Better Empty Some Territories plan started in 03 to thin the heard and it's been going on silently since. It moves at a glacial pace so you don't realize it happens until it's right on your doorstep and ready to crush your world.

It's been happening all along....you just don't see it

My guess is that AZ has more reps now than ever. They are adding 600 Publicis reps to sell Movantik. We may even have THE largest sales force of any pharma company in he world. We are falling over each other in the field and management keeps adding more. Frenchie believes in this antiquated model, which is good for us!

My guess is that AZ has more reps now than ever. They are adding 600 Publicis reps to sell Movantik. We may even have THE largest sales force of any pharma company in he world. We are falling over each other in the field and management keeps adding more. Frenchie believes in this antiquated model, which is good for us!
No it is good for them. AZ operates like the Federal Govt. the more people in your department the more budget and power you have. The difference is that the Govt can print more money to pay for it and AZ can't. It is just a matter of time before this house of cards comes crumbling down. The stock price has already begun to be decimated.

No it is good for them. AZ operates like the Federal Govt. the more people in your department the more budget and power you have. The difference is that the Govt can print more money to pay for it and AZ can't. It is just a matter of time before this house of cards comes crumbling down. The stock price has already begun to be decimated.

Could you please explain how the stock price has "already begun to be decimated"?

Looks like it is around 70. It was around 60 this same time last year.

Very accurate comments! Most docs do practice the way the learned many years ago. My guess is that 90% or more are so behind in being up to date, that it's scary. Most docs are actually dangerous, and incompetent!

Definition of irony? a freakin' communications or business major from some state college, that knows more about effectively managing health outcomes than someone that put in 10 years post college, and has been treating and managing patients ever since.

Look, I've been here for 15 years, have a nice tidy sum stashed away, and have been running a biz on the side since 2005. I'd love for the golden days to continue forever.

Only fools believe what comes outta Delaware. CSOs are the wave of the future, period. The 2016--> downsizings will be about as bad as the 2006-2011 downsizings combined.

But really, I don't care what you do or don't believe. Keep cranking that "we save lives" BS.

If you believe that, you shouldn't be in the business. Doctors that don't see reps are ignorant to new meds-not to say all of them, but the vast majority. They don't have the time or want to put in the effort to learn anything new. It's like them not wanting to do a prior auth because they can write a generic and they know it will be covered.

Definition of irony? a freakin' communications or business major from some state college, that knows more about effectively managing health outcomes than someone that put in 10 years post college, and has been treating and managing patients ever since.

Look, I've been here for 15 years, have a nice tidy sum stashed away, and have been running a biz on the side since 2005. I'd love for the golden days to continue forever.

Only fools believe what comes outta Delaware. CSOs are the wave of the future, period. The 2016--> downsizings will be about as bad as the 2006-2011 downsizings combined.

But really, I don't care what you do or don't believe. Keep cranking that "we save lives" BS.

WOW. Thankfully, you've been running another business. My guess is that you haven't done very well in the industry. Do you really think doctors are rocket scientists?? Typically, if you are good at what you do, you have a better understanding of the disease state than they do. It's all a matter of being able to articulate it.

If you believe that, you shouldn't be in the business. Doctors that don't see reps are ignorant to new meds-not to say all of them, but the vast majority. They don't have the time or want to put in the effort to learn anything new. It's like them not wanting to do a prior auth because they can write a generic and they know it will be covered.

Seriously dude, you overestimate your value.

Doctors don't see reps because they are often arrogant, pushy, single minded, one sided, self interested, non objective... need I go on?