• Thurs news: Novartis not joining weight loss race. Pharma marketing and climate change. Roche flu treatment trial. Cercle’s fund raise for women’s health. ICER looks at GSK COPD drugs. See more on our front page

NBU Blindside

I agree. I was hired in the inaugural training class in 1999. For the first 8 years, Takeda was the absolute BEST place to work. The culture, benefits and pay were amazing. Things went downhill after the TAP acquisition. Not because we merged. The TAP folks were great people. It began to decline because we had too many reps and we lost patent protection on Prevacid and Actos within about two years. $9 billion in sales gone and nothing in the pipeline to replace that revenue. Leadership went into protection mode. Then we had our first ever layoff in May 2010. It was a leadership bloodbath. We lost our best and brightest. The people who built the culture we all loved were replaced by corporate cronies without the experience or the perspective to help us rebuild. Seven months after our 2011 NSM, where they spent two hours telling us we would NEVER have another layoff, they let go of almost 800 more reps. Our faith in leadership was summarily destroyed and the culture we all loved went up in flames. Takeda became another big pharma. Gobbling up other companies to fill gaps in the pipeline. Life at Takeda became one big KPI algorithm exercise. It wasn’t terrible but it sure wasn’t the visionary company started by great people like Alan, Sam, Rich, Graz, Bryan and Steve.

I still have the lucite Takeda Promise block on my desk. I am forever grateful to Takeda for the opportunity to experience the culture and the success we enjoyed for so long. Takeda paid me well. Thanks to Takeda, I have been able to provide for my family, pay for my kids college and sock away enough in my 401K to retire. Sad to see this come to an end this way.

I believe 2011 the meeting where they had everyone sign the giant ball, took a panoramic picture of all of us, promised a bright future and no more layoffs - then axed the 800 you mentioned. Agreed, it was a great company up until that point. Sad.

several massive milestones with Takeda- some good, some bad

Takeda made a critical mistake when it decided to:

1: not do a Cv trial for its DPP4 drug. That cost the company billions in future revenue
2: It then bought Millieum ?, the Oncology company. It was a decent purchase but it should have bought celgene instead. Worse yet is that Deb D has some baggage on Alan and hence the Oncology division was never brought to chicago
3: Alan M wanted to buy Solvay but Japan was timid. So Abbott bought Solvay and Alan said- I am out.
4: in the heals of losing out on Solvay, Takeda pays $13B for a worthless generics company (can’t remember the name)
5. After the failures of 1-4, trust and faith within Takeda and Japan is lost. Enter C Weber

He has full power and control of the company. The challenge and problem is.... his ego and alliance to Boston

He overpays for Shire and then spends billions to move to Boston vs staying in Chicago

Just like Abbvie and Merck have prospered with basically 1 drug, Takeda could have prospered with Entyvio. In fact, Takeda would have been been better off acquiring Allergan instead of Shire

Surprised and saddened that CW is still around and what was a great company with a great culture has been ruined

several massive milestones with Takeda- some good, some bad

Takeda made a critical mistake when it decided to:

1: not do a Cv trial for its DPP4 drug. That cost the company billions in future revenue
2: It then bought Millieum ?, the Oncology company. It was a decent purchase but it should have bought celgene instead. Worse yet is that Deb D has some baggage on Alan and hence the Oncology division was never brought to chicago
3: Alan M wanted to buy Solvay but Japan was timid. So Abbott bought Solvay and Alan said- I am out.
4: in the heals of losing out on Solvay, Takeda pays $13B for a worthless generics company (can’t remember the name)
5. After the failures of 1-4, trust and faith within Takeda and Japan is lost. Enter C Weber

He has full power and control of the company. The challenge and problem is.... his ego and alliance to Boston

He overpays for Shire and then spends billions to move to Boston vs staying in Chicago

Just like Abbvie and Merck have prospered with basically 1 drug, Takeda could have prospered with Entyvio. In fact, Takeda would have been been better off acquiring Allergan instead of Shire

Surprised and saddened that CW is still around and what was a great company with a great culture has been ruined

People who can’t run their own companies should not borrow money and buy more companies.

Jonathan is a manager at Colonial Penn Life Insurance. Ok, Jonathan. I’m listening! Jonathan goes on to talk about the three most important things when deciding about insurance, which are Price, Price and Price.